SoH Orbital Assault

Looking to jump back into heresy with something slightly different then what I’ve done before. I’ve thought about maloghurst being added in there but just wanted to use a fun rite I haven’t used and the new terminator character. After any advice to make it somewhat able to be actually playable and not blown off the field turn one. Haven’t purchased anything yet so have some room to really change it up for the rite.

Thanks everyone.

++ Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [3,000pts] ++

+ HQ: +

Praetor, Legion [192pts]: Combi-weapon: Meltagun, Digital Lasers, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, On Foot, Paragon Blade, Warlord

. Cataphractii Pattern Terminator Armour: Terminator Armour

+ Elites: +

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [610pts]

. Contemptor Dreadnought, Legion: Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon

. . Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod (DT): Frag Assault Launchers

. Contemptor Dreadnought, Legion: Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon

. . Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod (DT): Frag Assault Launchers

Justaerin Terminator Squad , Compulsory [549pts]: 3x Chainfist, 6x Combi-Bolter, 2x Combi-Melta, 10x Justaerin Terminators, 2x Multi-melta, 7x Power Axe

Terminator Squad, Legion [338pts]: Tartaros Terminator Armour

. Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod (DT): Frag Assault Launchers

. Terminator Sergeant, Legion: Chainfist

. . Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Plasma gun

. Terminators, Legion: Chainfist, Plasma Blaster

. Terminators, Legion

. . Power Weapon: Power Axe

. Terminators, Legion

. Terminators, Legion

+ Troops: +

Tactical Squad, Legion (Compulsory) [190pts]: Bolters, 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

. Drop Pod, Legion

. Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Fist

Tactical Squad, Legion (Compulsory) [190pts]: Bolters, 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

. Drop Pod, Legion

. Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Fist

+ Fast Attack: +

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter [180pts]: 2x Kraken Penetrator Heavy Missiles, Ground-tracking Auguries, Twin-linked Lascannon

Reaver Attack Squad [331pts]: Artificer Armour, 6x Chainaxe, Melta Bombs, 2x Power Axe, 2x Power Fist, 10x Reavers

. Drop Pod, Legion

+ Heavy Support: +

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon [420pts]: Dreadnought Drop Pod, Legion

. Leviathan Siege Dreadnought: Armoured Ceramite, Phosphex Discharger, Twin-linked Volkite Caliver, Twin-linked Volkite Caliver

. . Leviathan Siege Claw

. . Leviathan Siege Drill

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance: XVI: Sons of Horus, Traitor

Rite of War: Orbital Assault (Check Deepstrike only restriction manually)

+ Use Playtest Rules +

Use Playtest Rules Errata 1.0 (From FAQ 1.1 Feb/2019): Playtest Rules Errata 1.0 On

+ Warlord Traits +

Warlord Traits

+ Dedicated Transport Restictions +

Dedicated Transports Restrictions: Dedicated transports are their own unit

++ Total: [3,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Edited by Sanguinius Chosen Wing

Looks fun with lots of dreads, but I actually think for Orbital Assault/taking pods in general, that you can't take multiple dreadnoughts in a talon, so if you want two podding Contemptors, then that's two separate choices of talons of one.

Looks fun with lots of dreads, but I actually think for Orbital Assault/taking pods in general, that you can't take multiple dreadnoughts in a talon, so if you want two podding Contemptors, then that's two separate choices of talons of one.

First I’ve heard of that with the RoW and the new red book seems to imply you can take the drop pods with no limitations like it was worded in the faq. Need to look into that

The second effect of the Orbital Assault Rite of War removes the usual limitation of only talons comprising of 1 dreadnought being able to take a dreadnought drop pod as a dedicated transport. With that said it only applies to the standard dreadnought and standard contemptors, not cortus contemptors or leviathans which doesn't matter for this list any way.

Now onto the list itself, I'm not sure why you used dreadclaws for the two contemptors, I get the ability to hide in them for a turn is useful for the close combat contemptor but with the twin kheres you would probably want to start shooting with it as soon as it comes down from reserves. I'd swap them for two of the standard dreadnought drop pods to save 30 points there. The next change I would consider is swapping the two contemptors for a contemptor mortis with twin kheres and a contemptor cortus with 2x grav and a chainfist in addition to it's DCCW. while you would have to split the unit up it would offer more flexibility especially considering the two differing loadouts wouldn't nessicarily want to deploy with one another. The Mortis also gains the benefit of being an additional AA threat while overcharging the cortus reactor for rage or +1 initiative will help it slaughter other dreadnoughts and vehicles in general. Additionally you would save a further 50 points for a total of 80 points so far.

So this saving of points ties into my next recommendation, the reaver unit is a unit that wants to get into assault as quickly as possible while remaining as untouched as possible, a standard drop pod while able to get them to a target leaves them horrendously exposed for a turn before they assault. However with the 80 points saved you can upgrade their standard drop pod to an dreadclaw so they can hide the turn they come in and then safely assault the following turn.

Next up would be for the terminators, I generally find I only ever get one round of shooting in before they are either shot off the board or stuck into assault so I find taking the heavy weapons over the combis to be a bit of a waste as I usually don't get another round of shooting to make them worthwhile unfortunately plus it lets me save on the points which I'd invest in power/chain fists for taking down tanks and the occasional thanatar or ruinstorm army. 

The tacticals and Lightning are both fine personally I'd probably try and squeeze a 3rd tactical unit in just for the sake of having bodies on the board as well as scoring units but thats just personal taste at this point.

My advice for the leviathan and frankly my philosophy with dreadnoughts in general is either run 2 cc arms or 2 shooting arms otherwise your wasting it half the time particularly with the leviathan as you dump an enormous amount of points in order to bring it so you want to make the most of it. For leviathans I lean towards the siege claw and drill that way it's able to handle not only tanks quite well but a significant portion of Primarchs as well due to the severing cut rule. Even if you decide to still go with 1 shooting weapon either the storm cannon or the melta lance are much better choices, the grav flux bombard isn't great vs vehicles due to the 3d6 armour penetration roll and the storm cannon does better vs infantry.

with the savings in points you might also have enough left over to give the 5 man terminator unit a dreadclaw drop pod for themselves which would give you the option for them to come in turn one if you need them to and also protect them for a turn before they come out and charge. 

The second effect of the Orbital Assault Rite of War removes the usual limitation of only talons comprising of 1 dreadnought being able to take a dreadnought drop pod as a dedicated transport. With that said it only applies to the standard dreadnought and standard contemptors, not cortus contemptors or leviathans which doesn't matter for this list any way.

Now onto the list itself, I'm not sure why you used dreadclaws for the two contemptors, I get the ability to hide in them for a turn is useful for the close combat contemptor but with the twin kheres you would probably want to start shooting with it as soon as it comes down from reserves. I'd swap them for two of the standard dreadnought drop pods to save 30 points there. The next change I would consider is swapping the two contemptors for a contemptor mortis with twin kheres and a contemptor cortus with 2x grav and a chainfist in addition to it's DCCW. while you would have to split the unit up it would offer more flexibility especially considering the two differing loadouts wouldn't nessicarily want to deploy with one another. The Mortis also gains the benefit of being an additional AA threat while overcharging the cortus reactor for rage or +1 initiative will help it slaughter other dreadnoughts and vehicles in general. Additionally you would save a further 50 points for a total of 80 points so far.

So this saving of points ties into my next recommendation, the reaver unit is a unit that wants to get into assault as quickly as possible while remaining as untouched as possible, a standard drop pod while able to get them to a target leaves them horrendously exposed for a turn before they assault. However with the 80 points saved you can upgrade their standard drop pod to an dreadclaw so they can hide the turn they come in and then safely assault the following turn.

Next up would be for the terminators, I generally find I only ever get one round of shooting in before they are either shot off the board or stuck into assault so I find taking the heavy weapons over the combis to be a bit of a waste as I usually don't get another round of shooting to make them worthwhile unfortunately plus it lets me save on the points which I'd invest in power/chain fists for taking down tanks and the occasional thanatar or ruinstorm army. 

The tacticals and Lightning are both fine personally I'd probably try and squeeze a 3rd tactical unit in just for the sake of having bodies on the board as well as scoring units but thats just personal taste at this point.

My advice for the leviathan and frankly my philosophy with dreadnoughts in general is either run 2 cc arms or 2 shooting arms otherwise your wasting it half the time particularly with the leviathan as you dump an enormous amount of points in order to bring it so you want to make the most of it. For leviathans I lean towards the siege claw and drill that way it's able to handle not only tanks quite well but a significant portion of Primarchs as well due to the severing cut rule. Even if you decide to still go with 1 shooting weapon either the storm cannon or the melta lance are much better choices, the grav flux bombard isn't great vs vehicles due to the 3d6 armour penetration roll and the storm cannon does better vs infantry.

with the savings in points you might also have enough left over to give the 5 man terminator unit a dreadclaw drop pod for themselves which would give you the option for them to come in turn one if you need them to and also protect them for a turn before they come out and charge.

Thanks mate I’ve modified the list somewhat. I agree if like more troops in also but just not sure where to trim. The obvious place I suppose is Justaerin but i would like to use them as a big mailed glove. I guess I could drop the lightning for another tac squad also but I’m worried about the loss of tank busting and AA it brings

Thanks mate I’ve modified the list somewhat. I agree if like more troops in also but just not sure where to trim. The obvious place I suppose is Justaerin but i would like to use them as a big mailed glove. I guess I could drop the lightning for another tac squad also but I’m worried about the loss of tank busting and AA it brings

Honestly you don't absolutely need to given the rest of your list as all your infantry is scoring but if I had to I'd probably drop the reaver unit since they're so expensive for what they do, and replace them with a tactical squad. With the leftover points saving plus the points trimmed elsewhere I'd drop a justaerin and but a kharybdis for 9 of them and the praetor to ride in again so they had the option of arriving turn one and protecting them the turn they come down but since you're trading one scoring unit for another that's more about giving the justaerin protection than anything else.