Genestealer Cult - Lovecraft Flavour

Hi there

First time poster here

The new GSC rules have really tempted me to restart my army but not in the usual mining flavour and instead go Lovecraft. The whole body horror, alien beings beyond comprehension and mad cultists just fit so well.  Innsmouth meets 40K just has such appeal to me!

I have seen an amazing conversion of a Patriarch with the head being the octopus model from AOS. I've started on some acolytes using the AOS flagellant kits, plans to use the necromunda orlock kits for harpoons and stub weapons but hit a bit of a wall. 

Has anyone got any ideas as to what direction to go? 

Many thanks in advance!

Hello - welcome to the uprising.

I'm not much of a modeller, beyond suggesting using lots of the tentacled heads from the metamorph and aberrant kits. And if you want body horror, parts of the Dark Eldar range go that way, as do a few Slaanesh models.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

Some Warhammer friends and I were just playing Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu, so we were thinking about this. So let's compare notes.

We were playing a Dark Heresy/Total War RPG campaign and the GM and I got talking. One thing I realised was the GSC has more in-line with Lovecraft than Aliens/Xenomorphs, but of course both were influences. Just to give you an idea, a GSC Magus in-character might not understand much about the Tyranids; he just senses this great godly presence from beyond the stars, unable to give word to it, but he can hear the call like through psychic waking dreams. Out-of-character, we all know about how Genestealers are just infiltrators to pave the way for a Tyranid invasion, but from their point of view, they're preparing their world for the true star gods. I think the current revamp downplayed this aspect as not to overlap with Chaos Cultists, I dunno. But I honestly thought the idea of the GSC Hybrid appearance like someone with the "innsmouth look".

Models-wise, I was thinking of mixing the following the the GSC upgrade sprue:

• Delaque gang from Necromunda, but for here, they'd be dressed in tan or leather trenchcoats (or mad scientist white labcoats), like in the '30s or something
  • Cawdor was another idea, but I do think that's too medieval looking
  • But another thing was to use old time seafaring aesthetics (as shown below)

gallery_57329_13636_1052143.png

This was something for an actual Rogue Trader ship Voidsman I was working on for another project, but the idea is, you know those old-timey diving suits? The ones with the big round brass helmets, usually tan colour suits. I was just trying to invoke the sense of mystery in the deep seas. Something about how we explored less of our own oceans than we have outer space, where there's all sorts of hideous creatures like angler fish and y'know, Cthulhu, really invokes that sense of the unknown.

I guess the idea is, it's not just the physical model converting, but even the colour scheme(s) can really alter the overall feel of the mini. But really sounds great, what you're already working on. Like one experiment I've been thinking about for this is...this is just a trick I use sometimes...drybrushing some bring cyan from the base upwards, like the model is standing over this watery glow. For 40k, it's just some sci-fi lighting, but it conjures up this feeling like the model is rising from some watery depths or something, I dunno.

Please do the body horror route, then I can borrow ideas off you when my brain dries up. 

I watched Dagon the other night, a lot of the 'locals' were shuffling around on crutches with misshapen limbs, bent spines etc. You could stick in a cheeky Daemonette claw for a lobster boy, sculpt gills in weird places (why breathe through tiny ear gills when you can breathe through one giant one in the middle of your face :lol: or through the many down your spine). Or give them limb replacements with bits of seafood like this young lass here.

dagon-movie-stuart-gordon-tentacle-lady-

Something about how we explored less of our own oceans than we have outer space, 

Does make me wonder why we are so eager to leave the planet, whats in the damn water we dont know about?? But thats off topic so Ill just think about that at night so I cant sleep again. :lol

Thanks for all the tips and ideas!

Love the deamonette claws thats inspired me for the close combat guys

Really need to try the lighting effect

The gellerpox mutants have a big nautical theme to them too so that will give great

tentacle vibe

Diving suits will be cool to try replicate

Many thanks guys!

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0532/5252/2165/products/ChurchOfDagon_1200x1200.jpg?v=1616162681

The Fish looking woman in this one could easily be replicated with a Daemonette.

s-l400.jpg

UnholyMutations_480x480.jpg?v=1616162847

Mutant in this one could be done with a Plaguebearer

RashaarGroupBackground.jpg

Had to put that one behind a spoiler tag because the image is big. 

https://www.firestormgames.co.uk/wargames-miniatures/carnevale

Got some good looking stuff here to pinch ideas from. 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

Exactly what I was thinking! My army is the Kraken Kult.

I bought some extra tentacle heads to add more variation, bought the AOS octopus head for my primarch, and bought some other heads (Tyranid models with long tentacles), I plan to use.

I’ve got a converted tentacle head magus.

I’m trying to go for generic light sand bases that I can add some random water effects too.

I’ll try and post some stuff soon but it’s a great idea and naturally fits the army.

Very cool thread and great ideas. The feeder tendril genestealer head really fits the concept- too bad there's only one sculpt of it.

Saw a really cool hybrid/techpriest that used that head in a google image search. Double body-horror: alien hybridization + amputation for prosthetic augmentation. Creepy as heck.

Edited by ThePenitentOne

• 3 weeks later...