Primary objectives scoring

Madao

Hi all!

Recently I have played with my friend and we had a discussion on the scoring primary objectives in the 9th edition.

In BRB it says something like:

`At the end of command phase score 5 VP for each satisfied condition (for a maximum of 15 VP). And 3 conditions are: X, Y, Z`

How should we read this `for a maximum of 15 VP`? Is it maximum 15 VP for each condition or maximum 15 when you satisfy all three conditions. In the second case it does not provide any additional information, as 3 conditions x 5VP is 15 VP, so this bracket could be omitted. This is why we are wondering if primary objectives should be treated similarly to the secondaries - each satisfied objective is capped at 15 VP. I could not find any clarification on that in the BRB nor erratas.

I read this as each turn the VP total is capped at 15, with the game total for Primary Objectives at 45. I think the redundancy is there so that if the numbers are adjusted it still requires you to be playing the mission every turn, not just trying to kill stuff and catch up at the end. But I don't think their intent is to prevent you from scoring 20 VP over the course of the game by holding one objective for four turns.

Now I'm starting to doubt myself. I've always played it that you have a limit of 15VPs per round, but over the course of the game you can score each condition as many times as you like. At the end of the game, you are limited to 45VPs in primaries. 

But then why the redundant limit of 15VPs? Is it just a reminder for people who can't do basic maths? It seems a bit coincidental that you are limited to 45VPs, which is exactly how many you could achieve if each condition were limited to 15VPs over the course of the game.

I'm very much out of the loop when it comes to competitive events - how do they play it?

Edited by Cheex

Can't you normally earn primaries over 4 turns? 4 x 15 = 60, not 45 (that's 3 x 5).

Nope, per the mission sequence you are limited to 45. Which is why I'm starting to think that it's meant to be a maximum of 15VP per condition, with 3 conditions = max 45VP total.

But that wouldn't explain redundant rules, it would just make it redundant in a different way. Additionally, the wording of the objectives on the missions would be incredibly awkward to interpret this way. What the missions say exactly is:

"At the end of each player's Command phase, the player whose turn it is scores 5 victory points for each of the following conditions they satisfy (for a maximum of 15 victory points):" This wording is entirely focused on what is happening each turn for that turn, nothing suggests a full game limit on various conditions.

The only limits on primary scoring are the 45 points overall and the 15 points per battle round. There is no limit to scoring, say, the Hold 2 objectives for 5 VP over four battle rounds.

Ok, but then why bother with saying `(for a maximum of 15 victory points)` explicitly, if 3 conditions for 5 VP means the same? If only this bracket was worded: `(for a maximum of 15 victory points per battle round)` or `(for a maximum of 15 victory points each)` there would be no confusion. But to be honest, I cannot decide what is the implicit subject of this phrase (sorry, I am not a native English speaker).

The only limits on primary scoring are the 45 points overall and the 15 points per battle round. There is no limit to scoring, say, the Hold 2 objectives for 5 VP over four battle rounds.

Ok, but then why bother with saying `(for a maximum of 15 victory points)` explicitly, if 3 conditions for 5 VP means the same? If only this bracket was worded: `(for a maximum of 15 victory points per battle round)` or `(for a maximum of 15 victory points each)` there would be no confusion. But to be honest, I cannot decide what is the implicit subject of this phrase (sorry, I am not a native English speaker).

Most likely, just to reiterate or point out that the maximum points you can get from Primary Objectives is 15 per battle round. Its just a different wording of the same thing that 3 conditions for 5 VP means, which is easier for some people to understand. Putting the "maximum of" bit in is trying to remove any ambiguity in the wording, which ironically spawned this whole thread. 

Sometimes I wish GW would get a really good technical editor to go over their work...

Max 15 VP per command phase. The number of times you can meet each condition is not capped, however you can only satisfy each condition once per turn.

So if you play Take and Hold, and you hold 2 objectives all game, you get:

Hold One or more objective (5pts x 4 turns = 20)

Hold two or mroe objectives (5 pts x 4 turns = 20)

For a total of 40pts.