Crossfire and Exposed

Rogue

I have a rules thought...

Under the rules for crossfire, we have three categories of target:

• enemy unit has a crossfire marker
  • enemy unit has a crossfire marker and is exposed
  • enemy unit has a crossfire marker, is exposed, and is within 12"

We also have various rules that allow us to treat enemy units as Exposed. 

Looking at the wording of the conditions, simply being Exposed doesn't do anything - there's no condition for firing at a unit that is just Exposed. The +1 to hit and wound only comes into play if a unit is Exposed and has a crossfire marker. Which makes sense in the main rule, as you can't become Exposed until you've already been crossfired. But in isolation, i think it means that when we use one of the abilities that drops a free Exposed on a target, we'll also need to find a way to put a crossfire marker on there too.

As an example, the Jackals Raiders rule means that any ranged attacks within 6" treat the target as Exposed, but there's no mention of treating them a if they had a crossfire marker on them. Which means Raiders on its own doesn't meet the requirements of the second condition (marker and Exposed).

And by way of reinforcement, the Oppressor's Bane relic specifically mentions that the target is treated as having a crossfire marker and Exposed. So the rules are aware you need both; it's just that most of them don't grant it for free.

Anyone care to poke holes in this?

I have a rules thought...

Under the rules for crossfire, we have three categories of target:

• enemy unit has a crossfire marker
  • enemy unit has a crossfire marker and is exposed
  • enemy unit has a crossfire marker, is exposed, and is within 12"
We also have various rules that allow us to treat enemy units as Exposed.

Looking at the wording of the conditions, simply being Exposed doesn't do anything - there's no condition for firing at a unit that is just Exposed. The +1 to hit and wound only comes into play if a unit is Exposed and has a crossfire marker. Which makes sense in the main rule, as you can't become Exposed until you've already been crossfired. But in isolation, i think it means that when we use one of the abilities that drops a free Exposed on a target, we'll also need to find a way to put a crossfire marker on there too.

As an example, the Jackals Raiders rule means that any ranged attacks within 6" treat the target as Exposed, but there's no mention of treating them a if they had a crossfire marker on them. Which means Raiders on its own doesn't meet the requirements of the second condition (marker and Exposed).

And by way of reinforcement, the Oppressor's Bane relic specifically mentions that the target is treated as having a crossfire marker and Exposed. So the rules are aware you need both; it's just that most of them don't grant it for free.

Anyone care to poke holes in this?

Played a match this Saturday and this is how I played the Sanctus.

Used the nexos to put the marker on a key character because as the wording goes, like you said, you need a marker AND exposed to get +1 to wound. Sanctus just says "counts as exposed" ignoring the necessity for another unit is all. At least that's how I ran with it.

Edited by Dark Legionnare