Sons of Horus - Orbital Assault

Varyn

Hi everyone, 

I finally got around to getting the drop pods I need to run the orbital assault Rite of War. Here is my provisional 2500 point list, I welcome feedback and suggestions:

HQ

Maloghurst

Elites

Contemptor Mortis, 2x kheres assault cannons

laser rapier, drop pod

Troops

8 veterans (machine killers), 7 combi-meltas, melta gun, artificer armour, power fist, drop pod

8 veterans (resolve), 8 combi-plasma, drop pod

7 tactical support marines, plasma guns, drop pod

9 veterans (weapon masters), 2 power axes, melta bombs, artificer armour, power fist, drop pod

10 assault marines, melta bombs, combat shields, artificer armour

Fast Attack

Primaris Lightning, 2x 2 kraken penetrator missiles, battle servitor control, ground tracking auguries

Anvillus dreadclaw (for the contemptor mortis)

Heavy Support

Leviathan dreadnought, grav flux bombard, siege claw, heavy flamers, phosphex discharger, armoured ceramite, dreadnought drop pod

This gives me 7 drop pods plus the assault squad and lightning fighter, Maloghurst would join the weapon masters to make them fearless, it's probably the safest place for him!

If I was to expand to 3k, I would probably just take out 2 weapon master vets and put Horus with the unit, I could then put Malohurst with one of the other veteran units.

Thanks for reading!

My comments would be::

• very few melee weapons altogether. I know that Death Dealers is great but SoH can at least pretend to also be melee legion with their tiny buff. For me it's most glaring in the case of Assault squad or even Resolve Veterans; they're shooting once and that's it. Stubborn is only useful if you're losing a fight, well if you took a couple power weapons maybe you wouldn't have to take a morale check in the first place. Heck, if you want to be in melee, weapon masters can help too, in most cases by either improving your output by 33% or decreasing enemy's one by 25%.

• I wouldn't trust the Support squad in that scenario. It's the only infantry unit with a good firepower for more than 1 salvo. I just don't suppose they'll live much longer than 1 turn. I'd be tempted to think of an alternative, for example Terminators come to mind, for lower price you get 6 Termis with combis. Way better defences and can actually do smth in CC or help with vehicles. It's just an idea though, maybe your squad will work wonders.

• Something feels rather odd about the Mortis. It's definitely usable but dropping him in an expensive pod usually meant for assault units sounds sketchy. For me it costs way too many points and I can't imagine him earning it back.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve tweaked the list:

- swapped the mortis contemptor in the anvillus for a cortus contemptor with 2x close combat weapons in a dreadnought drop pod

- added 2 power axes to the assault squad 

- dropped the plasma support squad for 5 terminators with 5 combi plasma, 2 power fists, 2 chain fists in an anvillus 

I get the point about making the plasma vet unit more multi purpose, I could drop a couple of combis for power weapons and make them weapon masters 

Edited by Varyn