Heavy Intercessors

Valerian

Any of you use Heavy Intercessors in your Space Wolves armies?  If so, what are your impressions?  Also, if any of you have some painted up, please share - I'd love to see how they look as Space Wolves.

I did a quick search and didn't find any threads where this unit has really been discussed.

Valerian

I run a squad and I have had pretty good results with them. I equipped mine with Assault 3 bolters and use them to contest mid-field Objectives. I think using the long-ranged ones as backfield Objective campers is as bit of a trap as their enhanced durability matters less back there when they get little incoming fire. I like to sue them as a second wave behind things like my Bladeguard Vets and Redemptor Dreadnaught.

Their hitting power is not the highest, although S5 is good against Orks and even against T4 targets they are better than regular bolters. Where they shine is durability. On paper they look about 50% tougher than regular Marines and are priced accordingly but this is misleading. 3 Wounds means that 2D guns like overcharged plasma cannot one-shot them. T5 means most small-arms wounds on a 5+ and even S8/9 needs a 3+. That means your opponent will actually have to dedicate significant effort to removing them and this can be difficult if the aforementioned BGVs and Dreads are bearing down on their lines. I have only lost the squad once and that was when my opponent sent a Dread to hit them but the fact it was on my left flank meant the rest of my forces punched a hole in the centre and won anyway.

Plus the models look really cool, and even better with a few wolfy additions.

gallery_82363_15236_157203.jpg

Agreed w Valerian here - I would love to hear everyone's thoughts! I have a squad currently unbuilt (next in line!), but have been debating about which weapon to equip them with. Karhedron - thanks for your thoughts re using them in the backfield. That was my initial thought, but it makes sense that they might be wasted just camping. That being said, do we gain any extra value in using them as a light melee deterrent as well, given the SW Chapter Doctrine? Edited by QuarterPounder

I just got back into 40k and made the leap from Firstborn into Primaris, but I'm loving the Heavy Intercessors.

I also ran them as Assault 3 gunners, running up the middle to take mid-field objectives while TANKING fire and using Keen Senses to continue to throw them rounds down field. They were MVPs last game and I cant wait to make them tabletop worthy on my painting table.

That being said, do we gain any extra value in using them as a light melee deterrent as well, given the SW Chapter Doctrine?

My experience with them in melee has not been positive. Too few attacks and no special weapons. Throwing them into melee is definitely a last resort.

Yeah, melee isn't great for them, they can be a pretty good speed bump against some units but keeping them out of CC is ideal. I've only used my a few times (they aren't painted yet), but I've found that I like them more in small games. In bigger games I just feel like it's harder to leverage the t5 and more wounds and the offense is ok not great for 150 points.

I really think if they could have even one special weapon it would go a long way towards making them effective for us. 

Edit: I will add that I only have one unit of them. I do wonder if the t5, would feel more impressive in bigger games with 3 squads rather than one. I just wouldn't be comfortable recommending someone go that direction unless they wanted a themed list.

Edited by Jorin Helm-splitter