Nachmund Crusade Content

ThePenitentOne

So I wasn't sure where to put this. The Goonhammer reviews for the Nachmund Crusade mission pack and the Matched Play bits from the Campaign Book are up. The Narrative bits of the Campaign book go up Tuesday. I wanted to discuss narrative elements, so this post is about the Mission Pack for now. Here's the link:

https://www.goonhammer.com/wars-of-faith-crusade-mission-pack-the-goonhammer-review/

NOTE: Paragon is a new term from this book- characters can be designated as Paragons under some circumstances. Not to be confused with Paragon Warsuits as the discussion proceeds.

So the first thing I wanted to say about this is that it's a little weird giving Faith to everyone. And don't get me wrong- I'm not gatekeeping; I think every faction should have ACCESS... But I feel like their needs to be some sort of reflection of the fact that some armies just are more faithful than others.

And oddly enough, as a Sisters player, I almost feel like stacking this on top of their Faith-based core rules + their Faith-Based Crusade content might be almost too much Faith? Like, I can see the player that stacks the Blessings of the Faithful on their Living Saint and then makes her a Paragon. It would be pretty brutal.

Having said that, a 3k Onslaught game set on a Shrine World with an Army that includes the Triumph, A Living Saint, Celestine, a Senior Cannoness with Blessings of the Faithful AND a Paragon? Pretty legendary, and fluff for days. But that's my point; to include the ADDITIONAL faith rules from this MP on a Sisters Crusade, you almost do have to build your narrative and you battle field to make it feel organic, rather than just adding the rules for advantage.

As always, this content will synergize with the content from the campaign book, so I'll post that link when it drops.

So Crusaders, what do you think of this? Will you use it?

Other armies don't deal as much with this- for them, adding a little bit of faith doesn't have to warp and skew everything- their camels aren't carrying a heavy enough load to have their backs broken by the additions this book provides.

The Goons point some things out too- the faith is fairly generic, with GROUPS of factions having a particular type of faith, rather than EACH faction having its own. In the past I've found that sometimes the Mission Packs stop short of giving me ALL the things I want out of them- they develop systems, but don't provide as many tools to impact or reflect those systems as one might want.

I’m pretty new to Crusade so read the review (and your post) with interest. I’ve ordered the book but I agree, as an Ultramarines Primaris player, I wish there was more effort to give Faith seem more appropriate for less religious armies. It’s a minor thing but in Crusade with its narrative focus, it’s an important distinction.

I’m also worried about the -1 for a loss. Ultras aren’t in a great place, and my gaming mate with his Sisters, is a much better player than me. I lose almost every game but Crusade let’s me advance my force regardless. It works great and I genuinely don’t mind losing constantly because of it.

However the fact that I’ll be losing faith almost every game, definitely doesn’t sound fun. I don’t have the book yet but it seems like I’ll get very little from the Faith system.

I’m looking forward to have some more missions though. Will give the Faith system a go, but not hugely enthusiastic about it, from what I’m reading.

I think faith is an interesting idea. When I think about it, I can only really think of necrons and Tyranids who don’t have some sort of faith tied into their narrative. Whether it’s faith in the emperor, the greater good, gork/mork the machine god or the chaos pantheon it can be covered by a faith system.

I think faith as a title might not have been the best choice for every faction but it’s hard to think of an alternative.

I’m pretty new to Crusade so read the review (and your post) with interest. I’ve ordered the book but I agree, as an Ultramarines Primaris player, I wish there was more effort to give Faith seem more appropriate for less religious armies. It’s a minor thing but in Crusade with its narrative focus, it’s an important distinction.

I’m also worried about the -1 for a loss. Ultras aren’t in a great place, and my gaming mate with his Sisters, is a much better player than me. I lose almost every game but Crusade let’s me advance my force regardless. It works great and I genuinely don’t mind losing constantly because of it.

However the fact that I’ll be losing faith almost every game, definitely doesn’t sound fun. I don’t have the book yet but it seems like I’ll get very little from the Faith system.

I’m looking forward to have some more missions though. Will give the Faith system a go, but not hugely enthusiastic about it, from what I’m reading.

Yeah, you can stack a detachment with Chaplains- I like the Primaris one on the bike.

Any Chaplain would be a candidate for your paragon. There's also that big master chaplain upgrade.

I think faith is an interesting idea. When I think about it, I can only really think of necrons and Tyranids who don’t have some sort of faith tied into their narrative. Whether it’s faith in the emperor, the greater good, gork/mork the machine god or the chaos pantheon it can be covered by a faith system.

I think faith as a title might not have been the best choice for every faction but it’s hard to think of an alternative.

Yeah, those were the factions to which I most took exception. I don't know much about necrons, but nids seem to me to be the exact opposite of faith.

Edited by ThePenitentOne

I very much like the idea of this. Rather than just a straight faith component, this draws on the motivation of the faction to be there. While it's imperfect and should see refinement further, I'm very much a fan of them doing a lot on why your faction is there.