The Sisters are calling me!

Typhus

Hey all, as you can guess by the name am a Death Guard player, but it seems that project is near its end. I have turned my gaze onto the next project that being a new army and I have to say I love the style of the sisters and there aesthetic.

So with that in mind I really wanted to know where to start, not so much a army list more of a basic overview of painting schemes. now in my local store there no sisters players I can really turn to for advise. So here are some very noob questions to start me off.

Dose paint scheme effect playstile? Do I have a fixed path before I start ( if I go a mele build I have to pick a fixed scheme like the bloody rose ) or can I be more flexable?

So lets say I have picked my paint scheme and I have my codex, the next thing are the box sets worth it? with the new bundles now ( the 2 on GW website ) and the ( Sisters of battle army set found https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194736953623?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D3b773776810c4d7fbb93a14a5272e446%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D194736953623%26itm%3D194736953623%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DGames+Workshop&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A8d924849-81e9-11ec-80bc-6a5de2aec7fc%7Cparentrq%3Aabd0553317e0a21958ae14fdfffa8e3c%7Ciid%3A1 there) Are Any of the sets worth the cash and if so what one.

So really am looking for a beginner brake down so when I do start collecting I have a plan of what to get so I can start to get them painted and ready to play.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hey there welcome to the fold heretic (I mean that with love)! Happy to see a chaos payer taking a liking to the nuns with guns! There are plenty on here who can probably give much better answers, but I am happy to try to help get you started! Been playing Sisters for well over a decade now, since they had their old 3rd edition Witch Hunters dex (while I was playing in like 5th edition of course) and I even have some of my old metal girls for posterity (though I primarily play with all the new stuff now) so I would like to think I have an okay grasp of the army and the ladies themselves. I tend to be long winded in anything though, so sorry in advance.

So first off your question about paint scheme. For this, I would say paint what you like. As far as it affecting playstyle, I would say its worse if you go for an exact copy of a major Order's paint scheme. If you like Our Martyred Lady, Bloody Rose, or any of the major six, you are free to do that, but I would say that ends up pigeon holing you into those orders and their playstyles more than a custom or even slightly altered scheme. If you just want to find a scheme that you enjoy and go with it, you can always use the custom order traits, and you can use the custom order trait that allows you to "play your army like one of the major orders" if you really like one of the major order's rules, but do not want to always get stuck playing them. As a quick example, I have a paint scheme that resembles the Knights of Antioch from the Crusader States (blues and reds and browns) but my fluff has this minor order fighting often like Ebon Chalice or Valorous Heart (I really don't enjoy the melee horde style, most of my lists are more shooty with some melee elements in Repentia or Sacresants). Therefore, in my games I either use custom order traits that I think represent that fighting style, or I just use the "In the Footsteps of Saints(?)" custom trait to play Ebon Chalice of Valourous Heart. I think that's what it's called, but don't quote me, I know there is one that allows you to do it though. Of course, the more casual games you play, the less important this is, but if you are a competitive player then that custom trait I think really aids us in the flexibility to paint a scheme we like. So if you like Bloody Rose and want to play melee horde then you can go for a reddish scheme that you like instead of the EXACT scheme, take the Custom order trait that allows you to fight like them, and play "Bloody Rose." Hope that made sense, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

TL:DR NO you do not have to pick a fixed paint scheme to play like Bloody Rose or any other major order, we have a custom order trait that allows us (similar to marines) to be a minor order founded from that major order, and therefore they fight like them and can use all of their rules, including strats, warlord traits, relics, and convictions. If I happen to be mistaken on any of that I will be corrected I'm sure, but I know you at least get the convictions if nothing else. 

As for the GW bundles and the Sisters army set that you found on ebay, the Combat Patrol is definitely good value for what you get, and the Sisters of Battle set on ebay there is pretty much the Combat Patrol but without a Rhino transport. You will get your staple Canoness HQ, a core of Battle Sisters, Repentia which are still pretty much staples (though Deathguard definitely neuter them a bit :D), a Repentia Superior to help those fanatical ladies out, and a Rhino transport that you are going to want at least one or two of if not more. The Seraphim, while I like them for cheap actions or as an easy Engage on All Fronts unit, is definitely a bit more of a niche squad, You won't get access to any of their special weapons in there I believe, so having them vanilla really just makes them good for actions or other secondary objective scoring. As for the Penitent Engine and Arco-Flagellants, these are again some more niche choices. They have their uses, but the engines in general you probably want four of at least if you are committing to them (and Mortifiers I still think bring some more bang for your buck, though Penitent Engines are definitely more usable than the 8th codex) and the Arcos really need almost a full squad (like at least 6-9) and need to be blending light or medium infantry, anything harder and you really will have to commit 2CP to make sure they get some good damage through. So if you get a Combat Patrol and the Sisters Army set (or even just 2 Combat Patrols) you will get your Canoness, 20 battle sisters, 1-2 Rhinos, 8 Repentia, 2 Penitent Engines, 10 Seraphim, and 6 Arcos. You will have an extra Repentia Superior and Canoness, and honestly you could convert either one or both into another support character like a Palatine or Dogmata, both of which have pretty good utility and are cheap enough.

Now let's touch on the other box, the Purgatos Mission or whatever. The Sacresants are definitely worth having, and the Exorcist tank is worth having one of for the utility it can bring if you spend 2CP to make it ignore LoS. It is by no means GOOD (what vehicle really is right now?) but it gives us ignore LoS shooting which is a quality of life improvement for the army. Beyond that though, the box offers a Palatine I think, that you could just convert from one of the extra characters from the 2nd combat patrol, a few more Battle Sisters, and an Immolator which is just in a bad place points wise right now (even with the slight buff it just got in CA 2022) compared to the Rhino. In general you are better off with mutliple Combat Patrols or the Patrol and Sisters Army Set and then pick up a box of Sacresants, and maybe an Exorcist if you like, separately.

Finally, unless you get that Piety and Pain box (if you have a guy who wants to split the Dark Eldar stuff with you maybe its worth it, but if not I would say don't bother) you are not going to have Retributors, which are those lovely Heavy Weapon toting girls that we need to have a real chance these days. My advice is to get a box or two and focus on Multi-Meltas and Heavy Bolters. Honestly, just build 2 Multi-Melta Ret squads (4 MMs each) and then if you want a Heavy Bolter squad get a third box, or magnetize if you prefer. My Heavy Flamers have just barely seen any play, and I have tried to use them in several games (probably going to convert a few Heavy Bolters/Heavy Flamers to Multi Meltas soon or just find some ebay bodies and go from there). You can build the cherubs too for them, they are definitely worth it but did just take a points hit. So my suggestion is to just get 2 ready for play, put them on one squad, and maybe they will be back to an "auto-include" everywhere when their points drop back to 5 one day.

So, TL:DR, here is what you definitely want to start with and where you will find it:

Canoness (Combat Patrol/Sisters Army set)

Battle Sisters (Combat Patrol/Sisters Army Set)

Repentia (Combat Patrol/Sisters Army set)

Rhino (Combat Patrol)

Retributors (Piety and Pain or just get separately, yea get separately)

Sacresants (Purgatos Mission or just get separately, yea get separately)

This is the core stuff you definitely want in your collection. Exorcists, Immolators, Paragon Warsuits, special characters like Morvenn Vahl or Celestine, Seraphim/Zephyrim, Penitent Engines/Mortifiers, any of our support characters lke the Palatine or Dogmata or really anything else in the codex are all nice additions later on (Vahl is SO GOOD) but not a great place to start. You will get some of these from the Combat Patrol and so you will have them, but don't go crazy unless you really love the models of course. As for loadouts, its pretty much Storm Bolters and Multi-Meltas up top right now, followed by Meltaguns and Heavy Bolters and then all the Flamers/Heavy Flamers somewhere toward the bottom. All have their uses definitely, but storm bolters and MMs are definitely king (queen?) for us currently. Halberds on the Sacresants is probably the way to go still too, but the Maces have a place against marine metas I guess lol.

Anyway, I know this got long, I always get long whoops, but I hope it helped you a bit. If you have any other questions I am sure plenty on here will help, and I am always around so don't mind replying when I can! I'll try to keep the walls of text to a minimum going forward though!

Wow nice, thats perfect ty so much for taking the time to help me out!

I love the look of Order of Our Martyred Lady ( the ones on the GW site ) but I didnt want to be handicapping myself as I know other orders are really strong (the red ladys) So I wanted to pick my own colors so I could be flexable in games

But thats really made my life 1000 times easyer I may just get myself 2 boxes of the combat patrol to start with and go from there!

Yea man, if you like Our Martyred Lady that is fine but if you go with a scheme that is based on them and ot EXACTLY them then you can just use custom traits/"In the Footsteps of Saints" and play like Martyred Lady, Ebon Chalice, Bloody Rose, or whatever you want in each game. 

Two Combat Patrols is a great way to start, then grab some Rets and Sacresants and you are definitely set with a solid foundation of your collection. The engines, Seraphim, and Arcos may not see that much play but feel free to mess around with them! They all have their uses!

Happy to help dude, enjoy!

Everything EGT said is right on. My only add is they are your models, paint them as you like. Mine are purple armor with turquuse robes. I usually run Ebon Chalice but sometimes run one of the other orders and now sometimes use the create your own rules. Each army box set is a really good deal money wise when you add up how much each individual set runs.

So paint them as you wish(post pics) and have fun with the army. Definitely a different play style then deathguard.

In the Footsteps of Saints

Many minor Orders Militant cleave to the traditions and practices of one of the Orders Majoris. For some, this is due to their unbroken chain of recognised descent from them, while others extol the virtue of one particular Matriarch or saint.

You cannot select this Order Minoris conviction if you have selected any other Order Minoris conviction, and if you select this conviction you cannot select a second. Select one of the following Orders Militant: Order of Our Martyred Lady, Order of the Valorous Heart, Order of the Bloody Rose, Order of the Ebon Chalice, Order of the Argent Shroud, Order of the Sacred Rose.

• Use the Order convictions of the Order Militant you selected.
  • If a CHARACTER model with this conviction gains a Warlord Trait, they can have an Orders Militant Warlord Trait associated with the Order Militant you selected, instead of an Adepta Sororitas Warlord Trait. If a CHARACTER has such a Warlord Trait, replace all instances of the Order Militant keyword on that Warlord Trait (e.g. ORDER OF OUR MARTYRED LADY), if any, with the name Order Militant that this CHARACTER is from.
  • Unless the only units with this conviction are part of an Auxiliary Support, Super-heavy Auxiliary and/or Fortification Network Detachment, you will gain access to the Orders Militant Stratagems associated with the Order Militant you selected. When using such a Stratagem, replace all instances of the Order Militant keyword on that Stratagem (e.g. ORDER OF OUR MARTYRED LADY) with the Order Militant that the units with this conviction have.

So from my understanding of the rules, I can pick any order (when I build a list) but when I do, I am then bound to the rules for that order? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question am trying to get my head around everything lol

Now I have looked at the codex, tho quickly I don't think there are any limits on units I can take due to specific orders (other than named characters?). Its just the playstyle and buffs to units that are diffrent but please correct me if am wrong

Many minor Orders Militant cleave to the traditions and practices of one of the Orders Majoris. For some, this is due to their unbroken chain of recognised descent from them, while others extol the virtue of one particular Matriarch or saint.

You cannot select this Order Minoris conviction if you have selected any other Order Minoris conviction, and if you select this conviction you cannot select a second. Select one of the following Orders Militant: Order of Our Martyred Lady, Order of the Valorous Heart, Order of the Bloody Rose, Order of the Ebon Chalice, Order of the Argent Shroud, Order of the Sacred Rose.

• If a CHARACTER model with this conviction gains a Warlord Trait, they can have an Orders Militant Warlord Trait associated with the Order Militant you selected, instead of an Adepta Sororitas Warlord Trait. If a CHARACTER has such a Warlord Trait, replace all instances of the Order Militant keyword on that Warlord Trait (e.g. ORDER OF OUR MARTYRED LADY), if any, with the name Order Militant that this CHARACTER is from.
  • Unless the only units with this conviction are part of an Auxiliary Support, Super-heavy Auxiliary and/or Fortification Network Detachment, you will gain access to the Orders Militant Stratagems associated with the Order Militant you selected. When using such a Stratagem, replace all instances of the Order Militant keyword on that Stratagem (e.g. ORDER OF OUR MARTYRED LADY) with the Order Militant that the units with this conviction have.

So from my understanding of the rules, I can pick any order (when I build a list) but when I do, I am then bound to the rules for that order? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question am trying to get my head around everything lol

Now I have looked at the codex, tho quickly I don't think there are any limits on units I can take due to specific orders (other than named characters?). Its just the playstyle and buffs to units that are diffrent but please correct me if am wrong

Typhus,

When you paint your models (in whatever scheme you like, as long as it is not an EXACT copy of a major order's paint scheme) you can choose whatever order you wish to play as and then take that custom order trait above and gain access to playing like that major order, or of course just use two custom order traits if you prefer. It's easier to build a list and see what order would work best with what you have built. Then you can go from there and find what you enjoy playing. As I said, I do not like how melee horde focused we are, so I bring shooty lists with a bit of melee. For my casual games at my FLGS it usually works out fine. If you are playing hyper cometitive that is different of course, but for casual competitive games where people are building balanced lists and trying to win while having fun you can't go too wrong with our units. Aestred Thurga might be the one exception, she's definitely a more "narrative game" unit.

For example, if you want to play as Order of Our Martyred Lady in one game, use "In the Footsteps of Saints" and then your "custom order" will use all of the rules for Our Martyred Lady for that game. If in the next game you went very melee focused you can do the same thing but choose Order of the Bloody Rose instead, and then next game if you went super shooty with your list you can do the same thing again but choose the Order of the Argent Shroud. Does that make sense? If you have a narrative for your order that is one thing, but there is nothing stopping you from trying out plenty of different lists using this custom order trait.

Finally, yes the only restrictions you have when it comes to a certain order and what units to bring is with our special characters. Honestly I think it is only Junith Eruita that even causes this since she is specifically from the Order of Our Martyred Lady. Morvenn Vahl and Celestine are able to be used with any order and they can use their buffs for everyone, though Celestine isn't much of a buffer anymore except for allies or giving certain Ministorum units a 6++ I believe. Ephrael Stern is a bit of a special case, though I think she is fine to use regardless too, personally I don't like that you have to take her with Kyganil though so someone else can answer questions about her lol. But other than Junith you can pretty much play around with whatever you want, and if you ARE going Our Martyred Lady, feel free to try her out!

Hope this cleared some things up, let us know if you need anymore help!

Typhus,

When you paint your models (in whatever scheme you like, as long as it is not an EXACT copy of a major order's paint scheme) you can choose whatever order you wish to play as and then take that custom order trait above and gain access to playing like that major order, or of course just use two custom order traits if you prefer. It's easier to build a list and see what order would work best with what you have built. Then you can go from there and find what you enjoy playing. As I said, I do not like how melee horde focused we are, so I bring shooty lists with a bit of melee. For my casual games at my FLGS it usually works out fine. If you are playing hyper cometitive that is different of course, but for casual competitive games where people are building balanced lists and trying to win while having fun you can't go too wrong with our units. Aestred Thurga might be the one exception, she's definitely a more "narrative game" unit.

For example, if you want to play as Order of Our Martyred Lady in one game, use "In the Footsteps of Saints" and then your "custom order" will use all of the rules for Our Martyred Lady for that game. If in the next game you went very melee focused you can do the same thing but choose Order of the Bloody Rose instead, and then next game if you went super shooty with your list you can do the same thing again but choose the Order of the Argent Shroud. Does that make sense? If you have a narrative for your order that is one thing, but there is nothing stopping you from trying out plenty of different lists using this custom order trait.

Finally, yes the only restrictions you have when it comes to a certain order and what units to bring is with our special characters. Honestly I think it is only Junith Eruita that even causes this since she is specifically from the Order of Our Martyred Lady. Morvenn Vahl and Celestine are able to be used with any order and they can use their buffs for everyone, though Celestine isn't much of a buffer anymore except for allies or giving certain Ministorum units a 6++ I believe. Ephrael Stern is a bit of a special case, though I think she is fine to use regardless too, personally I don't like that you have to take her with Kyganil though so someone else can answer questions about her lol. But other than Junith you can pretty much play around with whatever you want, and if you ARE going Our Martyred Lady, feel free to try her out!

Hope this cleared some things up, let us know if you need anymore help!

Sorry if I seem overly dumb xD I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing before I go and spend money on a new army, paint them up and then am being told its all wrong. I know how rule focused some people can be am thinking of someone in my local store, so I find from experance to ask the dumb questions sometimes.

But for sure, am more of a casual gamer just in it to paint cool minnis and have a good time playing, I really do like the look of Order of Our Martyred Lady so even after all that I "may" end up going that path as long as am not playing the weakest of the orders tho, I don't mind losing. However if am losing due to the order being just really bad then I would rather just go custom. I at least want to be competative.

I have been watching a few youtube guides and I have got 2 combat boxes, I also plan to follow your advise and get some Retributors and Sacresants. Am not a fantastic painter, but I don't mind some constructive criticism, so Ill post some pics when I have the squads done Or i can post up a pic or two if my Death Guard if anyones really that intrested.

Never really a dumb question here man! We are all happy to help any new Sisters player out! Our Martyred Lady is definitely a solid choice and they have some pretty cool combos between the codex and their supplement. I believe Sacred Rose is widely considered the weakest of the orders currently so you are definitely playing at least a mid-tier one if you are not them.

Paint and play however you want, Rets and Sacresants are always helpful (despite the Sacresants getting a slight points bump in CA 2022) and honestly, as I said, if you just go for a scheme that is almost Our Martyred Lady but is not EXACTLY them (maybe change one slight color choice) you will be able to run custom as much as you like and change up how you play. 

I am a pretty average painter myself, maybe even below average, so I am sure your stuff is gonna look better than my "tabletop standard at best" stuff lol.