Raven Guard 3k list

The_Stray_Idea

So Iv been looking at getting back into the Horus Heresy. I’m really lucky that there are a lot of great events held in my area and a healthy community around the game. Iv always enjoyed the Raven Guard so have set about building a more narrative skewed list to set about delving into the legion.

++ Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2,999pts] ++

+ HQ: +

Corvus Corax [450pts]: 2x Archaeotech Pistols

. Primarch: Warlord

Damocles Command Rhino [120pts]: Dozer Blade, Extra Armour, Pintle-mounted Heavy Bolter

Warmonger [155pts]: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, On Foot, Pair of Raven's Talons, Volkite Charger

. Consul

. . Warmonger

+ Elites: +

Mor Deythan Strike Squad [344pts]: Artificer Armour, 3x Combi-weapon: Flamer, 4x Combi-weapon: Volkite Charger, Melta Bombs, 3x Missile Launcher with Suspensor Web, 9x Mor Deythan

+ Troops: +

Veteran Tactical Squad, Legion (Compulsory) [275pts]: 9x Bolt Pistol, 7x Bolter, 9x Chainswords/Combat Blades, Melta Bombs, Missile Launcher and Suspensor Web, Missile Launcher and Suspensor Web, Nuncio-vox, Primarchs Chosen: Troops only when taken as Compulsory, 9x Veteran Space Marines, Legion, Veteran Tactics: Machine Killers, Vexilla, Legion

. Veteran Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Axe

Veteran Tactical Squad, Legion (Compulsory) [275pts]: 9x Bolt Pistol, 7x Bolter, 9x Chainswords/Combat Blades, Melta Bombs, Missile Launcher and Suspensor Web, Missile Launcher and Suspensor Web, Nuncio-vox, Primarchs Chosen: Troops only when taken as Compulsory, 9x Veteran Space Marines, Legion, Veteran Tactics: Machine Killers, Vexilla, Legion

. Veteran Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Axe

+ Fast Attack: +

Dark Fury Assault Squad [180pts]: 4x Dark Fury, Melta Bombs

Darkwing Storm Eagle [285pts]: 2x Twin-linked Lascannon, Extra Armour

Outrider Squad, Legion [255pts]: Melta Bombs, 2x Power Sword, 6x Space Marine Outrider, Legion, Twin-linked Bolter

. Standard Wargear

. . Chainsword or Combat Blade: Chainswords/Combat Blades

. Upgrade One Model to an Outrider Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Power Axe

+ Heavy Support: +

Fire Raptor Gunship, Legion [230pts]

. Four wing-mounted:: Hellstrike Missiles

. Two Independent Ball Turret-mounted:: Reaper Autocannon Battery

Heavy Support Squad, Legion Heavy Flamer [205pts]: Hardened Armour, Heavy Flamer, 5x Space Marines, Legion

. Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol

. . Exchange heavy weapon for a Nuncio-vox and Chainsword/Combat Blade: Power Fist

Jetbike Sky Slayer Support Squadron, Legion [225pts]: 3x Space Marine Sky Slayers, Volkite Culverin

. One Sky Slayer may be upgraded to a Sky Slayer Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Power Fist

. Standard Wargear

. . Chainsword or Combat Blade: Chainswords/Combat Blades

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance: XIX: Raven Guard, Loyalist

Rite of War: Primarch's Chosen

+ Use Playtest Rules +

Use Playtest Rules Errata 1.0 (From FAQ 1.1 Feb/2019): Playtest Rules Errata 1.0 On

++ Total: [2,999pts] ++

As an expansion of thought process.

Corax and the dark furries will be in the dark wing. Paying some homage to one of the novel book covers that iv always enjoyed. I’ll most likely be running corax alone from the dark furries to get the most from his abilities.

The warmonger hangs with the Mor Dythan to teleport them in to deliver a strike where it’s needed most. I know plasma is the go to for them or flamers but Iv always enjoyed the design of volkite weapons and rending combined with deflagrate seems like a fun mechanic.

Veterans for troops added some flexibility with being able to infiltrate and pick up tank Hunter. Helping the list with some anti armour early on.

The heavy flamer team rides out in the command rhino allowing it to infiltrate and as such position better for its deep strike becon while keeping the flamers a bit safer for a turn or so.

The jet bikes I’m not massively sold on. They actually feel a bit out of place compared to other choices but I found myself going between them and a dread with the dread feeling sluggish compared to the rest of the list.

Would appreciate any insights into the army as it’s been an age since Iv played.

Many thanks.

Stray

So with out getting into the list itself first, the way you intend to run it just doesn't work unfortunately. 

Both Corax and Dark Furies are jump infantry which means they cannot embark into transports unless the transport has a specific rule/exemption allowing jump infantry to enter it and the storm eagle and the dark wing both lack that exemption so they'd have to start on foot which would leave them awfully exposed.

Secondly you mentioned infiltrating the command rhino, I assume this is because you'd be starting the heavy support squad in it. Unfortunately the Infiltrate rule only confers to a transport if it is the dedicated transport for the unit and they start the game in it, which the command rhino isn't.

Now looking over the list the big thing that pops out to me is the lack of scoring in your army, you only have two scoring units at 3000 points and on top of that they are 20 power armour models on foot that can very easily be shot off of the board which means your going to struggle in most games that aren't just a straight up who can kill more units mission.

So having had some feedback from here and friends. Iv had another play around.

Corax post istvaan and weapon master vets in the dark wing with heavy bolters seemed like a better way of getting the hit out the transport I wanted and the visual element I wanted to capture in the unit while it lessened the need to worry about protecting the jump infantry.

Moving to recon company has allowed for some interesting bits. The reroll deploy and first turn is very nice to have. The shrouded special rule for anything that scouts or infiltrates let’s the moritat and destroyers pick up the cover save turn 1 as well helping to protect them.

Vigilator and Mor Dythan seemed like a good fit and being obsec always a good thing to pick up. On top of their stealth bonus for a 4+ Cover save in the open turn 1.

The recon marines are a bit pricy for what you get but very thematic. The speeders were a cheap way of adding some more AT fire on the table with the 3 flyers being deployed off the table. With the rite pushing heavy support to reserves fire raptors felt like the most useful and fitting choice.

I think it’s got more of the move silently and strike hard feel I wanted and think of when I think of Raven Guard. Also using the reduced stat line on Corax felt like a nice theme to build around and trying to capture the strikes the legion launched after Istvaan.

++ Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2,999pts] ++

+ HQ: +

Moritat [180pts]: Artificer Armour, Charnabal Sabre, Jump Pack, Melta Bombs, Plasma Pistol, Plasma Pistol, Refractor Field

. Consul: Moritat

Vigilator [130pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Cameleoline, Melta Bombs, On Foot, Refractor Field

. Consul: Vigilator

. Power Weapon: Power Axe

+ Elites: +

Destroyer Squad, Legion [315pts]: Chainsword, Combat Blade & Chainaxes, Chainswords & Combat Blades, 9x Destroyer Space Marine, Legion, Hardened Armour, Jump Pack, Melta Bombs, 2x Toxiferran Flamer

. Destroyer Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Phosphex Bombs, Power Axe

Mor Deythan Strike Squad [344pts]: Artificer Armour, 7x Combi-weapon: Volkite Charger, Melta Bombs, 3x Missile Launcher with Suspensor Web, 9x Mor Deythan

Veteran Tactical Squad, Legion [570pts]: 9x Bolt Pistol, 7x Bolter, 7x Chainswords/Combat Blades, Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, Melta Bombs, 2x Power Sword, 9x Veteran Space Marines, Legion, Veteran Tactics: Weaponmasters, Vexilla, Legion

. Darkwing Storm Eagle: 2x Twin-linked Lascannon, Extra Armour

. Veteran Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Thunder Hammer

+ Troops: +

Reconnaissance Squad, Legion , Compulsory [160pts]: Cameleoline, Power Armour, 4x Sniper Rifle, 4x Space Marines, Legion

. Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Sniper Rifle

Reconnaissance Squad, Legion , Compulsory [160pts]: Cameleoline, Power Armour, 4x Sniper Rifle, 4x Space Marines, Legion

. Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Sniper Rifle

Reconnaissance Squad, Legion , Compulsory [200pts]: 9x Bolter, Power Armour, 9x Space Marines, Legion

. Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Power Fist

+ Fast Attack: +

Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron, Legion [130pts]

. Javelin Attack Speeder, Legion: Multi-melta, Twin-linked Cyclone missile launcher

. Javelin Attack Speeder, Legion: Multi-melta, Twin-linked Cyclone missile launcher

+ Heavy Support: +

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance: XIX: Raven Guard, Loyalist

Rite of War: Recon Company, Legion

+ Lords of War +

Corvus Corax [350pts]: Deadly Prey

. Primarch: Warlord

+ Use Playtest Rules +

Use Playtest Rules Errata 1.0 (From FAQ 1.1 Feb/2019): Playtest Rules Errata 1.0 On

+ Warlord Traits +

Warlord Traits

+ Dedicated Transport Restictions +

Dedicated Transports Restrictions: Dedicated transports are part of the parent unit

++ Total: [2,999pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe