Warrior blob vs Immortals

Lord_Ikka

What are everyone's opinions right now on taking a large group of Warriors vs a smaller set of Immortals? I've got a tournament coming up in a couple of weeks and can't really decide whether to take a single group of 20 reaper Warriors or two 5-man squads of Immortals. I like the firepower of the Warriors (I use Eternal Expanionists and a really aggressive, melee heavy list) but the Immortals are both cheaper and slightly tougher. 

In my specific case, the plan was to use the 20-man Warrior blob with an Overlord to charge up the middle, somewhat as a distraction from my Skorpehks and Canoptek constructs flanking both sides. I already have a 5-man squad of Immortals as a back-field objective holder, but am wondering if I should just swap out the Warriors for a 10-man squad of Immortals to do the same thing for less points (and the saved points into other units).

Overall, what are peoples opinions of the two? Do you like running Immortals or Warriors more?

20 man warrior blobs are still one of the more potent units we can rock. Play them right using cover and keep on them using a cheap res-orb from a lord and a ghost ark, and as long as you use line of sight blockers and terrain, you can make this unit extremely difficult to shift. Coupled with the ghost ark, the GA is not a direct threat but it can be a movement blocker, the gauss racks can be annoying, its a distraction carnifex, and often takes the heat off the warriors in a notable, defensive way. Having said that, I still use a couple units of 5-man immortals as cheap obsec objective grabbers. I don't expect much from their guns, but I get more use from this setup vs. large units of immortals and small/zero units of warriors. 

I just find that when you drop the warrior blob for immortals, and this is the main troop the enemy has to contend with, its just easier for them to take out wholesale to deny reanimation. 

Edited by Ahzek451

• 4 weeks later...

It depends a bit upon your meta (are people running msu Custodes, or plasma inceptors & max wyches) as to which has survivability advantages.

I do think that a 20 strong warrior blocks is worth planning around (I.e. do you have a res orb or technomancer nearby) and some kind of plan for being close up and personal (I.e. being novokh or having a Royal warden nearby)