8" charges

Rogue

I've been playing around with the numbers behind 8" charges. Even though it's only an inch better than before, it feels like a significant inch, and it left me wondering if deploying underground and launching a big turn 2 attack that way was a viable option.

With no other modifiers in play, we'd expect an 8" charge to succeed 42% of the time. Not terrible, but not something you want to make a plan around. 

With rerolls, it gets a bit better (which is great if you're Cult of the Four-Armed Emperor, or just have a lot of CPs) - 8" with a reroll comes off 66% of the time, which is roughly 2-in-3, or the same as the chance of rolling 3+ on a single dice. Which is nice, but outside of CotFAE, we can only do that once per turn, and even for our Four-Armed comrades, a third of their units would still expect to fail the charge.

The other option we have is the proficient planning upgrade A Trap Sprung. Here, one pre-determined unit can roll three dice, and pick the best two when determining charge distance. This gives a 68% chance of succeeding over 8" (slightly better than a reroll on a regular charge), and can still be rerolled if necessary, at which point we're up to a 90% success rate. It's not nailed on, but it's pretty good odds. Again, this only works on one unit, but for 15 points it feels well worth it.

So I'm not convinced that CotFAE is suddenly the way to go (although they probably are if you really want to lean into a turn 2 beta-strike from underground), but A Trap Sprung certainly looks good on a single, tooled-up unit of combat troops.

Don't forget Acolyte Iconward for +1 to charge (doesn't work on genestealers)!

Suddenly that's a 7 incher out of deepstrike if you can set it up right.

If I understand correctly the banner must be planted before reinforcements, so he must start on the table.

But you can use They Came From Below (move out of marker) with advance, then move and advance in the movement phase for 12+2d6 + 6 inches aura range on the banner for... 24 inch reach and the charging unit has to be 8 away from the enemy so call it 32 away from the target.

That should be close enough :)

Edit: 34" as Twisted Helix.

Edit: and he works on multiple units, unlike A Trap Sprung. So you can throw down lots of easy charges.

Edited by Emicus