sword brothers are not bad BUT...

Medjugorje

How are you losing attacks ? They are both base 3 attacks per model.

I meant in comparison with chainswords. You get 5 brethren with chainswords for 110 points with 25 attacks on first round; 4 brethren with swords is 100 with 16 attacks on first round.

The power swords stack up poorly to 3 bgv for 105, with 13 damage 2 attacks and more defensive stats.

Power swords are nothing to sneeze at imo .

oh yea, especially with the +1 Strength. With suffer not the unclean or gene wrought might, it is basically a mortal wound on a 6 when assault doctrine is up, especially against tougher enemies like Plague marines or Orks. plus you do not have to worry about enemies that subtract 1 from damage with regular swords.

It is cutting into BGV territory a bit, but I like the idea of exploding sixes with these weapons.

I mostly still think chainswords are where it’s at, but what I did not account for was the cost of 3 points per, instead of the typical 5. That does make kitting the full unit much more feasible.

How are you losing attacks ? They are both base 3 attacks per model.

I meant in comparison with chainswords. You get 5 brethren with chainswords for 110 points with 25 attacks on first round; 4 brethren with swords is 100 with 16 attacks on first round.

The power swords stack up poorly to 3 bgv for 105, with 13 damage 2 attacks and more defensive stats.

dont forget that the quality of power sword attacks is way higher with chainswords... the more attacks a unit already have the lesser is the impact of +1 attack for its weapon. 

Lightning claws would be the way to go but its just possivle to field 2 in a 10 man squad so PS are  just one attack less by just 3 points increasing S and ap by 1/2. 

@Tiger9gamer... but this litany is so much more worth it on a big crusadersquad / Lightning claw terminator/ vanguards which are durable enough to stay close to a chaplain and have way more attacks.. 

Edited by Medjugorje

Power sword is such a weapon, if it is included in default wargear of an unit, ok I will take it. If it is an option which need to pay points for it, very few factions in the game will consider it. For marine, a single lightning claw(when this option exists) is obviously better.

The output of a power-sword wielded space marine model, is similar to 1 genestealer(new profile). And the latter is far more faster, has special deployment, 4++. Only 1w but 14pts.

If this is not familiar to you, then we could look at some marine example: a jetpack vanguard model, with 1 claw,1 chainsword, no shield, is 25pts. Is this the "most optimal" option of vanvet?

Only GSC stealer has 4++.

So let’s take a five man squad with heavy bolt pistols and power swords for an example — pls correct me if I should make any mistakes. First round of combat is 20 attacks. This should generate three extra attacks using the SB strat… so roughly 16 hits. You could also pop Gene-wrought Might versus T6 and above. Versus T4 that’s roughly 11 wounds at AP3/4. Versus Orks it’s 8 wounds… not too shabby.

Edited by Black Blow Fly

The new sword bro models are gorgeous, but I'd probably never run the unit. But I still want to bring them. So they are replacing the generic sword bro from the Primaris crusader squad box and the sargents for my assault int squads. I won't make the same mistake of not painting the sword bro this time around like I did with the old metal models because they weren't good as a unit.

Edited by Metic