Which book next?

The Ginger Avenger

Hi everyone, been a very long time since I posted anything here. I have a question for the community. I'm getting started with Necromunda, currently painting my first gang, Orlocks. I'm well aware that I have a lot of catching up to do so I've gradually been picking up kits and books as I go.

So far I have the hardback rulebook, the House of Iron, the Book of Judgement and the Book of Peril. So I was wondering which book I should pick up next - the Book of Ruin or the Book of the Outcast. I'd also be interested to hear your reasons behind your recommendations. Thanks everyone...

On the one hand, the scourge of Newcromunda is the massive library you "need". OTOH, part of the charm is that it's very much like an RPG were you can expand your collection with new campaigns and options, depending on your taste.

Needless to say, I've bought everything and used roughly 1/3 of what I bought :D

When it comes to the two specific books, I think the answer has to be "it depends on what appeals to you the most", as they include different campaigns and gangs. If I had to pick one I would choose Book of the Outcast, because I'm more into the lowlifes of the underhive than cults, but both books are pretty great, tbh.

I can't help but feel that this is a slightly unhelpful answer, but I hope it makes sense. If you're in doubt about the specifics of either book, I can try to look it up for you when I get home to my "library" again :)

I'd suggest the Book of the Outcast as it has what seems to be a well-balanced and fun campaign that is quite different from the Dominion and Law & Misrule campaigns, and it gives you access to the updated rules for psykers as well as rules for Outcast gangs, which seem to be both fun and easy to put together providing you already have a collection of suitable models ready for some action. :)

On a related note, feel free to share your Orlock/Necromunda painting progress here: I for one would be happy to see them and provide feedback. :tu:

On a related note, feel free to share your Orlock/Necromunda painting progress here: I for one would be happy to see them and provide feedback. :thumbsup:

What Dos said. Lets see your toys!! Orlock were my fave Gang back when I was a kid, I still have a soft spot for them even now. :wub: 

I have to echo what Antarius says; you don't really need either of them, it's more about what best suits the way you want to play and which little corner of the Underhive intrigues you most.

The Book of Ruin is all about cults and insurrection; Corpse Grinders, Chaos Helots and Genestealer Cult all get rules, and you can even have a house gang fall under the influence of chaos or a genestealer cult. It contains a lot of scenarios (18, including 6 for more than 2 players), many themed around insurrection and uprising.

There's a bunch of other stuff like special characters (Dramatis Personae), arbitrator tools and ideas for different types of uprising campaigns (though disappointingly, it doesn't include the actual rules for an Uprising Campaign (which are in the rulebook that came in the no longer sold Dark Uprising box).

The Book of the Outcast is about the people that live outside the protection of the 6 Houses. I suppose you could say they are the people that live on the fringes of society, so that life for them is even more difficult than those that live under the protection of a patron house. There's rules for making outcast gangs; the basic guys in the gang are basically various types of hive scum, but the leader (the figurehead of your rabble) can be pretty much anything that has been given rules in Necromunda. So you could have a gang of outcasts led by any of the Dramatis Personae (Kal Jerico, The Redeemer, that flying potato that FW sells), or by a guilder, or a noble or pretty much anything else within reason.

It also has rules for an Outlander campaign, which I've not read in loads of detail, but seems to be about scraping a life out in the worst parts of the underhive and building up a base of operations to keep your gang safe. There's scenarios to support that campaign as well. And as Dosjetka mentions, there's a whole updated suite of rules for Wyrd Powers (and shockingly, some of them are actually decent for once). It also contains the most up to date Trading Post; but if this is all you want, it can also be downloaded for free from Warhammer Community (and sadly, it doesn't have all the appendices that were added in the Book of Peril/Ruin/Judgement).

TL;DR - pick your poison, but you don't need either and you can quite easily get by playing a whole campaign using just what you have already.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've asked this question in a couple of places and the Book of the Outcast seems to be the more popular recommendation. I absolutely plan on getting all the books eventually but Outcast will be next, it seems to have more of what interests me.

As for those asking me to share pics, I certainly will. Progress is very slow though so I'll prob'ly just post pics of completed projects. I'd like to thank you all for your interest though, it's certainly encouraging.

As for those asking me to share pics, I certainly will. Progress is very slow though so I'll prob'ly just post pics of completed projects. I'd like to thank you all for your interest though, it's certainly encouraging.

My advice would actually be to post wip pics. In my experience it's pretty motivating and we'll be sure to cheer you on :)

• 8 months later...

Apologies if this has already been covered somewhere; I couldn't find an answer (or better place to ask) -

I have all the Necromunda books pre-Ash Wastes, but didn't fancy shelling out the expensive Ash Wastes box set as the contents don't appeal enough. However, the Ash Wastes Rulebook has not been released separately and I'm wondering whether I'm missing out on lore there. Is it correct that the Book of the Outlands contains all the lore from the new Rulebook, or have I been misled?

I've been thinking about getting the Outlands and Cinderak Burning books, but if I've already 'broken the chain of completeness' lorewise, I may just stop (as there are so many books released and it's never cheap). The GW listing indicates the Ash Wastes Rulebook contains "Background on the Great Equatorial Wastes, including its inhabitants and notable locations" but I can't see the same is included in Book of the Outlands (from the fuzzy contents page, or description, at least).

If anyone can help clarify it would be much appreciated! Thank you.

• 1 month later...