List-building around the Boss

Brother Kraskor

Apologies if this has been covered previously. I went back five pages or so and couldn't see anything on it. But then we know time works in mysterious ways so perhaps there was a thread from ten years ago on 9th edition Magnus!

How do you go about fielding Magnus. Specifically what considerations do you take in the supporting list.

Is it just your 1500pt list with some more spawn? Or do you have to offset the big guy with more bodies (and what sort of bodies? More Rubrics? Or some cheap chaff to help screen/pad it out?)

Also a discussion on how to use him specifically (what powers? I'd say smite as a sure bet with +3 to cast and his ability), cagey or full throttle toward the enemy?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Edit: Cabbalistic ritual choices too - I'd guess Malevolent charge for a cool 4D3 MW on Smite!

Edited by Brother Kraskor

It largely depends on the opponent, but no matter what you're going to have to play at least somewhat cagey. Magnus is a terror on offense, but when it comes to his survivability, let's just say he's nowhere near as resilient as his diseased brother. A full barrage from 3 eradicators (2 heavy melta and a MM after moving) does 2.33 damage to Morty, but does over double that to Big Red with 5.22 damage. So keep him away from the big guns as much as you can.

As far as using psychic powers, use his insane reliability to your advantage. Use his smite last, use him for for powers like baleful devulotion where the result on the test matters (bear in mind that Tzeentch's Firestorm needs an unmodified 9 for the MW on 5+'s, but Magnus does get a free reroll, so it might still be worth it for him to be the one casting it).

As far as the rest of the list goes, I'd probably say that you'd do well to have a fair number of bodies. However, having other large threats like Maulerfiends hurtling toward your opponent's lines for DISTRACTION CARNEFEX's will also take a good bit of heat away from Magnus.

Keep in mind that bolters still wound him on 5+'s... so while he's pretty tough against small arms, he's nowhere near immune to them. Again, not like Morty.

Edited by Paladin777