Among the 'zillion rumours of Craftworlds...

Prot

Speaking of which... I can't wait to see the Wraithknight. So disappointed in him in 9th. I used him a lot, but never got to painting him as he'd get vavporized so easily, and the points were just a little out of wack for what he does. But with Tau out, this might just be a pipe dream of mine.

Still deciding on paint schemes as I continue painting the Banshees. All I know is the beginning of all my lists will start with Jain and Banshees for the first while.

Cool thing is I found my old 'to do' box and found two assembled Warwalkers in there. This might be the time to include them as well. Hopefully they still have inherent reserves rules!

Speaking of which... I can't wait to see the Wraithknight. So disappointed in him in 9th. I used him a lot, but never got to painting him as he'd get vavporized so easily, and the points were just a little out of wack for what he does. But with Tau out, this might just be a pipe dream of mine.

Rumoured rules here. https://spikeybits.com/2022/01/rumors-new-eldar-wraithknight-datasheet-40k-rules.html

The bulit-in Invuln and -1 Damage rule will certainly help make it a bit more survivable, the HWC look good too. Now there are some downsides. Titanic feet have been heavily nerfed, if you want a melee monster now you have to take the Glaive. I fully expect this to be rolled out to Imperial Knights too.

Also it can no longer leave melee and shoot, it can only Charge after falling back. This is inline with the Stormsurge so I fully expect it to be rolled out to other Titanic units too. This makes it MUCH harder to leverage its firepower and melee capabilities simultaneously. If you are in melee and you want to shoot, you have to stay put and shoot whatever you are fighting.

Power 23 suggests a price of about 460 points. I don't think this is going to be competitive in a tournament setting but at least I think you can run one now without actively handicapping yourself.

However it does have to be looked at in comparison to the Stormsurge which it will inevitably end up facing across the Battlefield. At 330 with eyewatering levels of firepower, the Stormsurge is clearly a far better unit and a Wraithknight would be unlikely to survive closing the distance to where its better melee capabilities could be of some use. That is before you consider how much damage a 145 point Hammerhead will do a Wraithknight with its railgun.

The Wraithknight is much improved but 9th remains an edition that does not favour vehicles much but I will enjoy bringing mine out for fun games now at least.

Yea... I don't see taking the Wraithknight unfortunately if those rumours hold true. I'm not paying those points for D3 random shot, blast weapon. 

You won't get your invuln when it matters, and I have 2 tau players in my immediate group, and another 2 at the store. Well it can stay on the shelf for another 6 months or so for CA tweaks. I am not a vehicle fan at all in 40K right now, but I think the Serpents look like they might still hold up a bit under pressure. Without a Wraithknight I'll have those points left over hopefully. 

Rumoured rules here. https://spikeybits.com/2022/01/rumors-new-eldar-wraithknight-datasheet-40k-rules.html

One thing that I failed to pick up on in my previous post is that it looks like we have a couple of new loadouts available to us for the Wraithknight. Both of the following now look to be legal:

• Heavy Wraithcannon and Scattershield
  • Heavy Wraithcannon and Suncannon
I am not sure giving up a HWC is worth going from a 5++ to a 4++, particularly when this guys is likely to be a candidate for Strands of Fate. But the ability to take a HWC and Suncannon looks very interesting. Now you have have your Marine-busting gun and your anti-tank in one hefty package. Possibilities to be sure.

I feel like Highlander lists are gonna be on my menu generally. MSU Scorpions and Spiders are a standard for me as well, but if I didn't already have 12 Spiders I'd wait for new models (hopefully) next year. Everything looks amazing rules-wise tbh, and while I wish Rangers had a slightly bigger damage role, you can likely do alot worse than 2x5 ObSec campers under 150 pts as a start to any list.

As an Ulthwé player I never got into wraith units really, but thinking a starting line of Troops will most likely be 1x20 Webway Defenders, 1x10 Storm guardians in Serpent, 2x5 Rangers, 2x5 Corsairs. Of course looks like you'll be dropping the Guardians for WGuard more or less.

Shuriken Warwalkers outflanking for Engage all day... and/or dual BL to screen backfield?

Based on current points, and your apparent collection with Iyanden I'd likely be building to something like:

Yriel + Jain + Farseer

2x5 Rangers (camping)

1x10 or 2x5 Corsairs (ride Serpent w/ Yriel on to forward objectives)

1x10 Banshees (Serpent 2; Jain; either dominate flank that Yriel is trying to cap, or go wide opposite)

2x5 WGuard (5scythes + 5cannons; reserve 1 rush one middle)

1x6-10 WBlades (shields; size points dependent; rush middle)

WLord - I like at least a couple lances in any list ; ) - rush / screen middle

2x1 WWalkers - dual shuriken, Reserves

2x Serpents - starcannons

Dropping Serpents for more Wraith an option, of course... But if you take one for Banshees/Jain (and you probably should), you probably want a second one for a left jab to that right hook while your Wraiths take the body blows lol.

So excited for this Codex! 2nd Ed. Eldar 'dex was my first ever Warhammer book... Love to see the legendary Karhedron holding it down out here as always.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

As an Altansar fan, I wish their trait didn't have such a specific close combat bent because now I feel pigeonholed into building more CC into a list. Banshees have enough AP as it is, so more Scorpions? Storm Guardians? I'll have to consider this conundrum.

How does everyone feel about equipping Windriders... obviously depending on points of course... is it Scatters or the new and improved Cannons?

I think I lean towards scatter lasers as Wind Riders are still fairly squishy. They are great for snagging Objectives and harassing the enemy and I think that Scatter lasers fit better with that thanks to their longer range

There are plenty of places for shuricannons, particularly on tougher units that are likely to be operating closer to the enemy.

Edited by Karhedron

How does everyone feel about equipping Windriders... obviously depending on points of course... is it Scatters or the new and improved Cannons?

FWIW I found their guns extremely easy to magnetize.

The only thing I would recommend is to perhaps wait until we know for sure how many of each weapon the unit can take. We've seen a large uptick in new codexes restricting the loadout of special weapons on squads, so current loadouts may not still be legal with the new book

The kit has enough bits to give each bike any of the guns so it would be very surprising if they limited these. Most of the limits have been based on what's in the box (as far as I know, actually, all of them are, but there may be some I'm unaware of).

• 2 weeks later...

So far... I'm leaning to Ulthwé, with D-cannon artillery, Wraithblades pushing up with Banshees on foot filled out by Guardians and Rangers for troops.

I don't really like vehicles in this meta, and the Craftworld choices really don't seem to stand out to me. So I am leaning Ulthwé because I've always loved reading about Eldrad, and my first Eldar army was Ulthwé.

That said, the Wraiths still are an attractive model line within the Craftworlds to me but I'm sure they can fit in anything to some degree. Personally I love the Psychics as well within some Craftworlds, but I've heard very little about it. Craftwords themselves don't seem, or appear to me, to be too over/under powered.... So far anyway!

@Prot your avatar was a bit of a shock to me. :)

Interesting choice on the artillery. I guess without vehicles and LoS, they could be a contender.

Oh don’t worry. My avatar will change once I get my new craftworld scheme figured out! I have no idea what scheme I want. I have a few ideas.

As far as the artillery, I saw before this codex how valuable indirect points as on these new tables. Unless the points are wonky I foresee using the D cannon. But even then I think the artillery will have some good options. I hope…!

I really did consider white. I have a good start on a white scars army that shows a lot of weathering and damage and I thought if going that route with Eldar however I’ve never really painted a full army of purple so I’m leaning that way. 

I just finished my Banshees and Jain Zar in traditional colours. So I may start on a theme in purple, and teal accents. It looks good in my head but who knows!