Chosen Loadouts Question

I just got the Eldritch Storm box and am trying to decide how to set up the Chosen weapon loadouts. This is my first real adventure into having choices to make in 40k (since the Start Collecting box didn’t have options).

With Lightning Claws and Chosen, is it possible to add just 1 Lightning Claw from the melee weapon list while keeping the bolt pistol and boltgun? If I’m reading it correctly, it seems like you only get rid of the bolt pistol/gun if you want both Lightning Claws?

If memory serves, one claw and one other weapon is indeed a legal loadout.  That being said, I'm leery about assembling the new Chosen since the options might change in the new codex -- but again, that's just me. 

I think waiting to assemble them is reasonable if you’re the type who does WYSIWYG. All we have are rumors at this point, but building them based on the current options will almost certainly require you to rebuild/repaint them. Edited by Khornestar

I think waiting to assemble them is reasonable if you’re the type who does WYSIWYG. All we have are rumors at this point, but building them based on the current options will almost certainly require you to rebuild/repaint them.

After nine editions I really wish GW would settle down on loadout fomulae for unit designs that have been around for almost as long as i've existed.  :wacko:

personally i'm saving claw duty for terminators

I think waiting to assemble them is reasonable if you’re the type who does WYSIWYG. All we have are rumors at this point, but building them based on the current options will almost certainly require you to rebuild/repaint them.

After nine editions I really wish GW would settle down on loadout fomulae for unit designs that have been around for almost as long as i've existed.  :wacko:

I suspect that that's entirely the point. I believe GW specifically makes the game feel off-balance - not necessarily in the sense that "some units are better than others" (though that's likely to be part of it), but rather in "design philosophies aren't consistent yet, but after just a few more books then everything will be in line with each other...", before changing things up and continuing the cycle. All of it designed to make players look forward to something in each edition.

It's like a suspensful musical chord that always feels like it's about to be resolved, but never quite gets there. It's been like that for as long as I've been in the hobby.

I suspect that that's entirely the point. I believe GW specifically makes the game feel off-balance - not necessarily in the sense that "some units are better than others" (though that's likely to be part of it), but rather in "design philosophies aren't consistent yet, but after just a few more books then everything will be in line with each other...", before changing things up and continuing the cycle. All of it designed to make players look forward to something in each edition.

It's like a suspensful musical chord that always feels like it's about to be resolved, but never quite gets there. It's been like that for as long as I've been in the hobby.

People need that jump scare to release tension, or for the harmony to sync; otherwise you just create anger and frustration it's the same effect as the drip feed marketing.

People Burn Out Or Go Insane.

Fitting for worshipers of the dark gods but not for real people.

• 2 months later...

If memory serves, one claw and one other weapon is indeed a legal loadout.  That being said, I'm leery about assembling the new Chosen since the options might change in the new codex -- but again, that's just me. 

^ This is good advice. I'm doing the same.

Do I want to put my Chosen together? Heck yea, but so much is up in the air right now, and not to mention AoC actually may change how you approach building these guys now.

• 2 weeks later...