Preparing for the 9th Edition Codex/ Hobby Goals

Xenith

With the 9th ed tyranid codex on the Horizon, what are you looking at adding to your army, if anything?

Not so much on the competitive/gaming side, but are there any projetcs/units/hobby goals you have that 9th ed might motivate you to achieve?

Personally, I love Raveners, but I havent got any painted. I made some recently, but I'm going to try and prioritise them to have some sneaky snake boys in my list. 

I also have an exocrine and Dakka fex primed, so I'd like to get those painted up also.

Are you going to add anything to the army, or hold off until we see the book?

I need to get my bugs moved along, I've got a lot of half-painted beasties in need of finishing, some of which are in that "Just one more detail" phase. I'm going to hold off on buying too many more models until the 'dex is out so I can decide what to focus on buying, but I do have some plans which I might do regardless of combat effectiveness (or if they're even in the Codex at all!). Notably, I have a plan for using the second edition metal Warrior bodies combined with insectoid wings (be they Plague Drone wings or 3D printed examples once I can afford that Elegoo Saturn I want) to make wasp-like Shrikes. I also kind of want to convert up at least one walking Hive Tyrant with heavy chitinous armour, to represent the toughness boost they have over their flying brethren.

The leaked datasheets we've seen give you hope, but I always wait for the big reveal and full story :P It does bode well if these sort of improvements are codex wide. My immediate plans remain unchanged until then, so I'd like to get an Exocrine and Hive Guard, but I'm also thinking about a winged Tyrant. Outside of that I still have more gaunts and gants to work on, plus more Warriors if I want to eventually run that Warrior list.

Oh yeah, for sure I'm not getting too excited- but I'd like it if Tyranids can at least be a smidge more flexible in casual/friendly games! Plus the idea of an armoured Hive Tyrant always appealed to me.

Speaking of, I've been working on restoring the first Hive Tyrant I ever got (and also one of the few survivors of my entry into the hobby)- he's been stripped at least three times now but this time I'm going to do him justice! He's going to be sculpted with extra armour as mentioned before, and also has a rather nice Hydracast bonesword and kitbashed shield, still in need of some putty work. However, I'm torn on a pose. He's got a "stinger whip" built into his shield, made from a reshaped Fujimi crayfish antenna- but do I have him bracing the shield defensively, whip coiled around him, or the whip striking out aggressively?

cTYJEqd.png

gsAvhJw.png

I promised my wife I would not purchase anything new until I had painted everything I have up. So, I need to paint up my malecptor she got me for Christmas, plus a malenthrope and a few marine units for my Angels Eradicant army.

One that is done... I am really liking to the looks of raveners and warriors, so will go and get both. I have tons of genestealers I am re-painting. I am hoping Kraken will be viable. I have a barbed hierodule, love that model, and one dimachaeron. However, given prices of FW, as much as I'd love to get some scythed hierodules I can't justify the cost. So maybe another t-fex to go with my rupture cannon t-fex. Maybe some carnifexes, as I have none.

I'm also keen to get some terrain, and build a battle board this year. We are knocking down and re-building our house later this year and I will finally have a room just for games and my hobby! (which I will share with my wife's sewing equipment!) :D

my aims is to keep working on my selection of different units so im ready for near any sort of big changes. hoping that most units are able to be competitive this time. the rumoured changes seem nice but dont wanna put all my eggs in one basket so to speak. i will finish my diama because i think its epic not because i think itll get worse again compared to other more viable units this ed. but i also like a well rounded force anyway. tbf i dont have a horrendous painting back log for my nids as after the diama its mostly repainting some second hand troops and a big unit of gargoyles to do. may putty together an extra tyrant form spares though...

my aims is to keep working on my selection of different units so im ready for near any sort of big changes. hoping that most units are able to be competitive this time. the rumoured changes seem nice but dont wanna put all my eggs in one basket so to speak.

In general, mixed bag armies do ok from codex/edition changes, while those built to exploit one OP unit suffer the most. If you model a range of units available to the nids, then you'll be ok forever!

Take gargoyles for example. I built some for my crusade army which was designed to use the worst units possible in the codex. If they become troops, they'll actually be great! 

• 2 weeks later...

I had all of my 'nids painted for a while there, but then I took them out to get a feel for where they're at before the codex comes out and learned that I was actually six or seven gaunts short of two full squads of Hormagaunts and Termagaunts. So I have some more of those to finish up now.

I kind of want to pick up a Hive Crone and a second Tyrannofex, but I'm holding off on that because I'm trying not to buy anything else until my backlog of other painting work is done.

Being only a few short of 60 is a good achievement, super flexible also, so you can run 3x10 if you so desire. I think I'm on 24 gaunts, I'd like to get that to 30 I think also.

Being just three or four shy is a weird place to be sitting, but I'd got some of them second-hand in exchange for painting work. Thankfully I had a lot of leftover bits from Termagaunt kits so I only had to buy one box of Hormagaunts for bodies to fill out both units.

I mean, who's going to notice a few action poses in the midst of 30 Termagaunts?

Haha yea, well the old, old box from 3rd ed had 8 gaunts and 8 gants, then 4x weapon sprues so weirdly not actually enough for a unit of each, and modelled the gaunts with spinefists to be used as gants. I recall the instructions suggested devourer/fleshborer for the more static creeping bodies, then fists or talons for the leaping bodies. 

I've got that box :tongue.: I don't think many people did that though, the bodies do have differences between the type. That said most wouldn't know or look closely enough and even if they did who'd spot some in a throng of gribbles?

I saw the box art for the Combat Patrol box it looks like it has a lot of models in, shame it's no good for most of us who have ours but it'll be a great start to someone's horde. Here's hoping that it's true that gaunts and gants get a good boost! Also nice to see new codex artwork, it's good too :)

That would be fun - though time consuming to manoeuver! How many more gaunts do you need?

I have only 10. Which I'm still thinking on the color scheme, and a way to paint them fast.

I had been hoping for a holiday swarm bundle again. But this new starter box fills the need.

As for time consuming, I was thinking of using the movement trays, and gluing a drone flight stand to it to grab to move faster

Edited by Triszin