40k wedding tables.

grailkeeper

I'm getting married in a little under a month and I have a bit of a weird issue.

My other half has suggested we name the tables after warhammer as she knows that's something I really like. A lot of my friends and family Irl know I like warhammer but wouldn't know anything about it. There's a good chance I might be the only person there who gets the references. I thought it might be a bit weird to have people sitting at a table marked Blood Angels but my best man (who knows absolutely nothing about warhammer) said it seemed like a good idea.

I was thinking of naming the tables after songs I like but she is insisting on warhammer.

I'm thinking possibly 40k planets instead of factions but I'm open to any suggestions.

First of all Congradulations.

What about Primarchs, the names (and some of their titles) by themselves are neutral enough to not be overly confusing to non fans and any fans will get the references. depending on the number of tables needed other saints and heros names could work as well.  

Plants is also a good call, but a lot of the more well known ones, such as Armageddon, have other meanings and connotations.

Old World or AoS names and places might also be worth considering.

Edit: Another thought, what about sectors, the big five Segmentum, and then various subsectors as needed.

Edited by Trokair

First of all Congradulations.

What about Primarchs, the names (and some of their titles) by themselves are neutral enough to not be overly confusing to non fans and any fans will get the references. depending on the number of tables needed other saints and heros names could work as well.  

Plants is also a good call, but a lot of the more well known ones, such as Armageddon, have other meanings and connotations.

Old World or AoS names and places might also be worth considering.

Edit: Another thought, what about sectors, the big five Segmentum, and then various subsectors as needed.

Some good suggestions here, especially the Primarchs.  Just keep it to the loyalists, and everything will work out.

Alternatively, sectors or places are good, but do you really want to name the Top Table "Eye of Terror" just because your knees are knocking when your speech is due?

Planets are a possibility.  Can't wait to meet the in-laws over on Badab Prime. :ph34r.:

If it were me, I would just thank my partner but decline. I would do band names instead. Also congrats man.

In all sincerity, this.

Tell the love of your life her thoughts are wonderful...but...yadda, yadda.

Unless of course one of your chosen vows is "Unite the disparate populace of Humanity and deliver it from the Ignorance of barbarity and tech-heresy."  Then it's open season on the in-laws over on Table: Maelstom, baby! :HS:

Congratulations, in any event! :thumbsup:

Congratulations on your engagement!

I would suggest going with Warhammer sectors/planets depending on how many tables you're having.... and depending on your level of humour... you could either go with the most horrible planets in the 40K universe, whether war-torn or death worlds.

"Yes... today you will be on....... Catachan! And you, madam, we will be sending to Armageddon!"

Alternatively, yes, the major Segmentum might work.

Also, bonus points if you have your ushers dressed up like either Imperial Guard officers or Munitorum clerks if you go with such ideas. Personally, I think it adds an extra little personal touch to a wedding to make it more 'you'. That is, of course, just my thoughts on the matter.

I'm getting married in a little under a month and I have a bit of a weird issue.

My other half has suggested we name the tables after warhammer as she knows that's something I really like. A lot of my friends and family Irl know I like warhammer but wouldn't know anything about it. There's a good chance I might be the only person there who gets the references. I thought it might be a bit weird to have people sitting at a table marked Blood Angels but my best man (who knows absolutely nothing about warhammer) said it seemed like a good idea.

I was thinking of naming the tables after songs I like but she is insisting on warhammer.

I'm thinking possibly 40k planets instead of factions but I'm open to any suggestions.

it’s your day, and it’s her day bro.

If she doesn’t mind, and it’s something you actually want to do it, go for it.

Who cares if anyone else knows anything about it?

A fun thing to maybe give your groomsmen a little intro have a get together where everyone builds a model and paints the model to the theme of each table.

So if you have a BA table someone builds and paints a blood angel. A single box of tactical marines covers quite a few tables that way, so it stays fairly cheap.

Hi, 1st of all, congratulations.  Not just for successfully completing your courtship mission, but doing so with a spouse who understands your passions aside from those for HER, in this case for The Hobby.  Appreciating all this, I listened as carefully as I'm giving the following suggestion, knowing you may not take it because this is a big decision, but it might lead to better ideas down the road.

I thought that was a really good idea.  It makes sense for tables to sit at, like you go to a planet.

The only problem is Warhammer's worldbuilding is to choose the most dangerous sounding names as possible, like Armageddon as Brother Trokair said.  NECROmunda.  You mentioned Blood Angels, Baal, that's a demon from the bible.  Fenris, that's like a wolf demon.  I thought Terra was fine, but then it sounds like TerrOR.  The only one that came to mind that was good is Titan...I know that's technically a moon.  Brother Rik chose IMHO the very best one with Cadia, precisely because Cadia Stands, but I wonder if people will be able to pronounce it.  I've heard it said Cay-dia and Cah-dia and in the case of one Chinese speaker, Tsa-dia, because he read it like Cao Cao from the Three Kingdoms era.

So I learned from that exercise, but what good-sounding table names be?  Having considered it, they've got to fulfill 3 functions:

• They've got to be Warhammer-related
  • They should be auspicious
  • They should be easy to pronounce, hear, remember and recognise, because wedding banquets are confusing affairs even with the best planning

The last point, as you already found, is the tricky one.  It's like how miniatures can be great works of art, but their primary purpose is to be playing pieces that you can easily recognise, a branding issue.  You'll have older people who don't hear so good, and may already be drunk by that point.  They need easy guidance, 1-word, that they can follow.  After much deliberation, I suggest these Warhammer-related, auspicious, easy to use table names:

• Ultimate
  • Exultant
  • Lion's
  • Daylight
  • Adamant (this one I'm not sure about because it sounds like Exultant, can lead to the type of confusion we want to avoid)

What are all these names?  They are the names of the Walls of Terra.  The Ultimate Wall.  The Exultant Wall.  Lion's Gate.  And so on.  Meaningful, easy to work with.  Instead of Walls, it'll be Tables.  The Ultimate Table.  The Exultant Table.  The Lions' Table.  And so on.  Also kinda fun, "So I'm sitting at the Lions' Table because I'm a young lion, call me Simba, where are you seated, Uncle?  Oh...you're at the ULTIMATE Table?  Ooooh."

But you're like Rogal Dorn, sending your Brothers to the fitting Walls...to help you defend the Imperial Palace that is your marriage.  Or something.  It's a very nebulous idea right now, I just spent a few hours brainstorming, but I think there's something good with this general idea.  I'm guessing a lot of your wedding guests will be lawyers.  Maybe we can think about things in High Gothic, because Latin.  I dunno.

This is just my humble suggestion in this brainstorming process.  Because I was seriously putting myself in place of a non-Warhammer guest who's thinking "why are you putting me at Table Armageddon, Brother?  What are you trying to say?"  I'll take the Daylight Table happily over the Armageddon Table.  You put me on the Armageddon Table, I better be sitting next to Liv Tyler...or better yet...Steve Buscemi, he be like "how do you do, fellow kids?"

First off, congratulations.

Secondly, I've got to add my voice to the (psychic) choir of "politely turn the idea down". It doesn't seem like you will actually get any enjoyment out of it and if, as you said, no one but you gets the references, there's really no point.

Congrats dude.

You could go for the numerical designations of the original Legions, maybe with their symbol. That way it will just look like Roman numerals to people not into 40K but will be a cool piece of 40K in your wedding. Bonus points if you leave the tables for the missing legions empty. :)

Massive congratulations!

I echo the sentiments of the others, to be honest, buddy. It’s awesome you have a partner who is so embracing of your hobby, but doesn’t sound like you would be super comfortable doing it. That said, if you wanna do it, go for it - it’s your wedding!

Congrats dude.

You could go for the numerical designations of the original Legions, maybe with their symbol. That way it will just look like Roman numerals to people not into 40K but will be a cool piece of 40K in your wedding. Bonus points if you leave the tables for the missing legions empty. :)

I love this idea! Edited by Inquisitor lorr

Hmm.

I have been to Star Wars and Star Trek Weddings (where bride and groom and guests all appeared in costume).

A friend even had a Marvel wedding where they hired professional superhero cosplayers.

It is a nice idea, especially when everyone is on board with this (including all the friends).

Still, even in a context like this, I am having a hard time imagining a "Warhammer Wedding".

It is not the most romantic of settings....

and as others have said, due to the heavy reliance on places and planets with an ominous name, for people who are not into Warhammer, this can easily lead to misunderstandings.

I like the idea of maybe having some figures as table decoration as mentioned above.

But maybe go with band names for table names.

On the other hand, if your friends were also into Warhammer, you could go overboard, I for example would have no problem sitting on the table Nostramo on the seat labelled "Konrad Curze" decorated with some fake gore and body parts. But from what you say, your wedding will NOT be one of those.....

So better tread carefully.

As a few have mentioned, one way to approach it is planet names. Plenty are significant within 40k while still being real-life celestial objects; Sol, Terra, Luna, Mars, Titan etc. 

But honestly my inclination would be the polite decline and go for a different theme. If basically nobody bar you is going to get the references you don't want to have to constantly explain it to people the whole time!

Congratulations

One thing to keep in mind if you did go for 40k inspired table names, is having to explain what they mean, and why you went with it to anybody who doesn't know what 40k is.

Some families/friends would find it pretty cool, and be interested. Whereas the more Conservative and old fashioned would find it incredibly stupid and why are you interfering with your wife's day (because for some people that's how they look at it).

Think of your 'audience' as it were. You know who everybody is and how they would likely take it, which I'm sure your wife has already thought of as well. It could go down very well with the right group and worth looking into. Nothing too obscure in the lore though, something relatively easy to explain but interesting enough to expand on.

As a few have mentioned, one way to approach it is planet names. Plenty are significant within 40k while still being real-life celestial objects; Sol, Terra, Luna, Mars, Titan etc. 

But honestly my inclination would be the polite decline and go for a different theme. If basically nobody bar you is going to get the references you don't want to have to constantly explain it to people the whole time!

That's a good point. There's probably going to be a lot of questions and maybe it's not something you want to spend a lot of time explaining on that particular day.