Dark Angels Contemptor Project

bigtrouble

Here’s the first two sets of light gray edge highlights, and highlighting rivets, etc. I also started painting the chapter badge wings white, which I’m very glad I did, and painting the knee pad white. Still not certain what I’m putting there, but probably the crossed keys from the original forge world paint job.

gallery_196892_16670_110519.jpeg

gallery_196892_16670_242613.jpeg

Started doing some small color tests on the metal trim. I have 4 colors of metallic here, a copper, bronze/gold, and bright gold, as well as silver. Each of the other metals is mixed about 50:50 with silver to lighten it. I don’t want the metal trim to be super saturated against the bone base color. I started with small patches under the shins, but couldn’t see enough color contrast, so I did some of the trim on the side then added washes to see how the details would look. Lastly I painted a small section with the gold that I think I’ll be using. I’m not sold on any of these colors yet, so I may do the color test again in another area.

gallery_196892_16670_33536.jpeg

gallery_196892_16670_33855.jpeg

gallery_196892_16670_17469.jpeg

I did some testing on which wash to use on the gold trim before proceeding. I picked two less visible parts to test side by side, and used a Strong Tone, which is a deeper sepia color, and Soft Tone, which is what is used on the bone armor and is a light brown. One leg in the first photo of each, and in the second photo one half of the trim in each.

Hard to tell from the photos maybe, but the Strong Tone wins. It produces a stronger shadow and more rich color.

gallery_196892_16670_543351.jpeg

gallery_196892_16670_557271.jpeg

I’m in the final stages of details and highlights. I’ve added bright white edge highlights on corners and rivets, started brining the white up on the wings, layering up the green on the chest, did the chain, and have attended to some small details like the lenses.

I like this process of taking photos periodically. It really helps identify things to improve and ensures I don’t miss details. I still have some white highlights to do on rivets, some metallic highlights on the engine parts, I plan on doing some heat effects on the exhaust stacks with blue and orange washes, and I still need to layer up the green on the front more. I need to address the eye lenses, they’re not great. I also don’t really like how the wings on the shoulder are going, so that might need a rework, or maybe just another pass with white. After all that, I still have a bunch of details to do on the lascannons and a bit more on the missile launcher as well.

gallery_196892_16670_103598.jpeg

gallery_196892_16670_192918.jpeg

gallery_196892_16670_193285.jpeg

gallery_196892_16670_90649.jpeg

Almost there. In retrospect, I wish I had taken a couple more progress pics of the final details, as there were definitely many steps to the free hand parts, but I kind of got in that painting groove, and with limited time before it started raining again, I needed to be done by today to clear coat. I’ll set up the lights and a background later for the big reveal photos.

gallery_196892_16670_117064.jpeg