Sigismund

aa.logan

It’s really good; maybe my favourite thing by French- at no point was I met by a page of text that just bounced off my eyes and needed re-reading, which is often the case with him.

It really got into the spirit of the Fists in a way no other book has, and is a proper character study- Sigismund is recounting events to the remembrancer, Voss, and each of these encounters and events inform our understanding of what makes him tick.

We get Sigismund’s life from his being ‘recruited’ up until Ullanor- each chapter is fantastic.

We also get good looks at

the Night Lords through Sevatar and the World Eaters through Khârn
but these cameos don’t feel gratuitous, and really add to the story of all characters concerned.

Page one also features the now-obligatory(?) nod to oldhammery stuff, with a character looking at what sounds an awful lot like the old studio polystyrene and cocktail stick cacti, and wistfully lamenting the fact that they won’t see them anymore. It works better on page, honest.

We also get good looks at

the Night Lords through Sevatar and the World Eaters through Khârn
but these cameos don’t feel gratuitous, and really add to the story of all characters concerned.

Do you think there's enough in these sections to warrant a read for someone who's not an Imperial Fists fan?

It’s really good; maybe my favourite thing by French- at no point was I met by a page of text that just bounced off my eyes and needed re-reading, which is often the case with him.

This is great to hear, and this fact alone is enough of a recommendation for me to buy it (in non-limited edition). So much of the Ahriman trilogy was like teflon.

I opened the book last night to start it and the first page mentioned Solomon Voss.  But I couldn't remember who this was due to the passage of time (I'm pretty sure he was an important rememberancer?) so put down the book as I wanted to make sure I had the necessary background knowledge before starting.  

Can anyone answer my question please, or point me in the direction of any essential catching up I need to do (I'm fully up to speed with the whole Heresy, but some aspects I haven't read for over five years and have simply forgotten).

I opened the book last night to start it and the first page mentioned Solomon Voss.  But I couldn't remember who this was due to the passage of time (I'm pretty sure he was an important rememberancer?) so put down the book as I wanted to make sure I had the necessary background knowledge before starting.  

Can anyone answer my question please, or point me in the direction of any essential catching up I need to do (I'm fully up to speed with the whole Heresy, but some aspects I haven't read for over five years and have simply forgotten).

He's from a short story by French, entitled The Last Remembrancer, in the Age of Darkness collection. Had to look it up myself – same feeling that I'd read the name somewhere.

Voss was also a minor character in Vengeful Spirit, I think. Wasn't he the remembrancer, that Loken and Qruze went to see. He fled the Vengeful Spirit along with Euphrati Keeler and ... uh ... the other dude (sorry). Dorn incarcerated him in some space station in the Sol system, because he didn't trust the returning the remembrancers, which had served among the traitor fleets.

Seriously, though, my ramblings can't be helpful, so this article might help more: https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Solomon_Voss

With regards Voss

it’s his writing as a self-funded civilian chronicler of the Crusade that convinces Dorn to lobby for the creation of the order of remembrancers
that makes the events of the Last Remembrancer potentially worth an immediate re-read.

As for the value of the book to a non-fan of the Legion? Absolutely. Maybe not worth buying on eBay, but certainly check out the standard release. As well as the insight into early general Legion recruitment and the brief interactions with other Legions, the book is a really well-measured look at what it’s like being a marine; like the best bits of The Great Work. It’s a really satisfying read despite occasionally heavy-handed allusions (Sigismund pondering

what kind of society could turn their children into monsters whilst fighting a compliance
is perhaps a little *too* on-the-nose), that I wish more of the Heresy would ape.

Thanks for the help everyone.  I will re-listen to The Last Remembrancer* asap!  

PS did anyone else catch how this novella is dedicated to Chris Wraight?  I wonder why?

Have you read Warhawk? Sigismund is a main character, so I reckon there was a fair bit of chat between French and Wraight to establish a consistent character and motive.

Thanks for the help everyone.  I will re-listen to The Last Remembrancer* asap!  

PS did anyone else catch how this novella is dedicated to Chris Wraight?  I wonder why?

Have you read Warhawk? Sigismund is a main character, so I reckon there was a fair bit of chat between French and Wraight to establish a consistent character and motive.

Good point!  Yes read it and failed to make the link.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading this last night, it was a very good read.  I don't have anything revelatory to say other than to advise all 30k fans to pick it up and give it a read once you have read Warhawk.  

The HH character series is slowly but surely becoming a really excellent series.  All three releases so far have been hits IMO, and there is almost unlimited additions that they can make.  Can't wait to see who is featured next.

A few good moments in an what is a fairly decent book. Nothing outstanding and I think the weakest of the character series to date. John French is an author I struggle with, I just find a lot of his books pretty dull. The opening scenes in Sigismunds pre marine life are great as are his training period. The scenes at the end at Ullanor are interesting to a point.

I hope we get lots more in this series though, loads of potential. Maybe even a few non marine characters?

A few good moments in an what is a fairly decent book. Nothing outstanding and I think the weakest of the character series to date. John French is an author I struggle with, I just find a lot of his books pretty dull. The opening scenes in Sigismunds pre marine life are great as are his training period. The scenes at the end at Ullanor are interesting to a point.

I hope we get lots more in this series though, loads of potential. Maybe even a few non marine characters?

The possibilities are almost limitless for this series.  I wonder if we'll next see a female author writing a female character for this series.  Kroll?  Su Kassen?  Loretta?

• 4 weeks later...

Finished this up earlier today. On the one hand it’s very much what one would expect, on the other I think it’s an excellent execution of its premise.

French uses the same storytelling device BL has used in the previous Character series novels (both 40k and HH), with Sigismund telling his life story to an interrogator/listener just like Valdor, Luther and Ghaz. I like interrogation framing stories quite a bit, though it might get rather less enjoyable if every book continues to use it.

If you’re looking for deep lore revelations like we got in Valdor this might not be for you, as I would call the plotting some of French’s most straightforward. What you’re getting are interesting scenes from Sigismund’s life that also at times expand upon important moments from the great crusade. To compare it to another work think of Jaghatai Khan’s primarch novel.

When thinking about this book I’m reminded of how Roger Ebert, the great film critic, looked at films as executions on their premises, rather than using some sort of contrived valuation to say one premise was inherently more valuable than another. I think by that criteria this is an easy 9/10. It has some of French’s best prose and feels very consistent with past depictions of Sigismund. There’s some really beautiful scenes in here. That said I tend to prefer my reading to have a slightly grander scope than ‘here’s some moment’s from this guy’s life.’ I think Valdor and Crowley’s Ghazghkull novel both found a way to integrate a sense of forward momentum to their character retrospectives which Sigismund doesn’t.

The possibilities are almost limitless for this series.  I wonder if we'll next see a female author writing a female character for this series.  Kroll?  Su Kassen?  Loretta?

Jenetia Krole is a fantastic character and I'd like to have more from her perspective.

I pray for a full Bjorn HH Characters novel from Wraight.

We've had various bits of him, of course, not least of all Parting of the Ways, the audio drama. But I'd envision a novel something like this:

First section/prologue kicks off with Russ's parting words, about how he'll be back for the Wolftime, and tells Bjorn to stay and keep the hearth. Then it'd explore the pressure and inner turmoil of left-behind Bjorn.

Move on to him becoming impatient and starting the first hunt to find Russ, and his eventual mortal wounding that sees him interred.

Since some of these parts were already part of Parting of the Ways, a shift in perspective is required, which is why I'd think the story should be framed similar to Luther, by way of Bjorn (re)telling "his saga" to, say, Logan Grimnar, maybe during the Era Indomitus, as a refresher to Logan's resolve and reaffirmation of the Wolves' culture in the face of the sudden influx in Primaris.

Then move on to the many crises of the Chapter throughout Bjorn's long vigil, how he was awoken during the first assault of Magnus during the Battle of the Fang, over various other milestones that can serve for introspection and cultural enrichment, and also chart subtle changes in Heresy-era Bjorn towards bitter Indomitus-Bjorn. Include Bjorn's involvement and perspective on the Months of Shame and the fallout from Armageddon from a first-hand account, rather than through the eyes of those who would pay him respect. Lead up to Wrath of Magnus, and then lastly the return of Guilliman, where Bjorn was conspicuously absent after saying his piece, while making it clear he wasn't heading right back to sleep yet.

Heck, one could even include Bjorn's relationship with Hawser, to paint a broader picture of who he was, and who he became, both as a person as well as a symbol.

Man this was a good one. French obviously handles his own characters fantastically, but you really get the feel of the ADB sevatar and Khârn and the Abnett Luna wolves Abaddon from this.

I really liked the framing of the iron hands part. Unfortunately due to the early novel plans, the iron hands basically never did anything, and never really got to build their reputation. French makes them seem utterly destructive and ruthless; like Ferrus had a shot at becoming warmaster and Horus needed to politically undermine it. It's a shame that there's not many opportunities left to show off their pre-heresy might.

Rann is also fantastic, like always. A great foil to sigismund being so serious. I'd hate to reread the First Wall and remember how Thorpe handled him.

Khârn schooling the ultramarine on being respectful to an enemy was another great moment.

Even Sigismunds child hood was fantastic. I kept on thinking "man these gangers are really representing the night lords", only for one to show up. And of course they're symbolic for what Sigismund does not want to become, and what the night lords represent.

Which brings me to the infamous duel and its build up. Sevatar is so...himself. This isn't the first time he's mouthed off about protocols and rules just to irk the opposing marines who are supposed to care about things, or taunted out hypocrisy. I also was surprised by how little sevatar lied about the duel in Prince of crows. It wasn't over 24 hours, but it was close; sunup to sunup, a still impressive amount. Sevatar also didn't win, but the victory condition was yield, and Sigismunds blow certainly didn't cause that. Maybe he really was just bored by that point.

I still think the end results are a draw, or can be defined depending on perspective. Obviously in a real™ fight Sigismunds sword would have killed him it it was powered on, but Sevatar apparently didn't use any infamous dirty tricks aside from the rather non-impactful headbutt. Be prepared for the argument about who's the best to keep on going lol.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk