A Nascent Uprising: Xenith ponders GSC

Xenith

Hi all,

I have somthing of a love for crusade armies and enjoy trying to put them together. I got a copy of Shadow Throne, and want to make some GSC!

+++ GSC Crusade 25PL (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [25 PL, 3CP, 639pts] +++

Cult Creed: The Twisted Helix

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ +

Patriarch [7 PL, 150pts]: Power: Mental Onslaught, Power: Might From Beyond, Power: Mutagenic Deviation, Psychic Familiar, Warlord, Warlord Trait: Biomorph Adaptation
. Relic: Elixir of the Prime Specimen: Enhanced Resilience

+ Troops +

Acolyte Hybrids [3 PL, 79pts]
. 2x Acolyte Hybrid (Hand Flamer)

Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Heavy Rock Saw
. Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Heavy Rock Drill
. Acolyte Leader: Cult Bonesword, Hand Flamer

Neophyte Hybrids [4 PL, 120pts]
. 4x Neophyte Hybrid: 4x Autogun, 4x Autopistol, 4x Blasting Charges, 4x Frag Grenades
. 2x Neophyte Hybrid (Grenade): 2x Autopistol, 2x Blasting Charges, 2x Frag Grenades, 2x Grenade Launcher
. Neophyte Hybrid (Icon): Autogun, Cult Icon
. 2x Neophyte Hybrid (Seismic): 2x Autopistol, 2x Blasting Charges, 2x Frag Grenades, 2x Seismic Cannon
. Neophyte Leader: Autogun, Autopistol

Neophyte Hybrids [4 PL, 140pts]
. Neophyte Hybrid (Icon): Autogun, Cult Icon
. 2x Neophyte Hybrid (Seismic): 2x Autopistol, 2x Blasting Charges, 2x Frag Grenades, 2x Seismic Cannon
. 4x Neophyte Hybrid (Shotgun): 4x Autopistol, 4x Blasting Charges, 4x Cult Shotgun, 4x Frag Grenades
. 2x Neophyte Hybrid (Webber): 2x Autopistol, 2x Blasting Charges, 2x Frag Grenades, 2x Webber
. Neophyte Leader: Autopistol, Power Pick, Web Pistol

+ Elites +

Purestrain Genestealers [3 PL, 70pts]
. 5x Purestrain Genestealer: 5x Cult Claws and Talons

Reductus Saboteur [4 PL, 80pts]

What do you think? I reckon it has the potential to be nasty. Twisted Helix as they seem to have pretty good bonuses, though all the cults do. Hivecult was a close second for action+shoot, which will simply rack up XP over games. Twisted helix allows the mega patriarch, though, which should be fun - especially if I can get a biphagus at some point.

Next on the list would be an iconward so give a second Summon the Cult to both neophyte units - replenishing 6 models a turn each is brutal. 

Saboteur is bad and over priced, Biophagus is super cheap and all his upgrades are good.

You won't have 4 seismic cannons until you buy 40 neophytes. I wasn't that impressed with them anyway to be honest.

No reason not to have a icon on the acolytes if its power level. Acolyte Icons are good anyway.

Iconward is okay for +1 to charge but Neophytes aren't living long enough to need 2 summon rolls.

Don't listen to Skeleton.  I mean, only about the Saboteur; he's probably right about everything else.  The saboteur is so good that when I think about her, a little bit of pee comes out of me.  Against vehicles and monsters (which you actually don't have much defense against in this all infantry list), she is basically a better battle cannon that cannot be targeted for less than half the cost.  Personally, I think her bomb action is interesting, but it exposes her unnecessarily unless you can guarantee your opponent cannot get within 12" of her,  wouldn't do it.  If you *do* decide to do it, might as well do it near an objective so she can boobytrap stratagem the objective, too.  Watch your opponent do back flips to avoid her line of sight with their dreadnoughts, dreadknights and light tanks.  Enjoy the pulsing vein in your opponent's forehead as they hurl their most elite troops into trap after trap trying to get to your saboteur.  It is most gratifying.

Thanks guys, should have prefaced that I'm not necessarily looking to dominate the game - maybe just seeking fun ideas/reality checking my idea? 

I'm going to keep the reductus as I think it's fun, and with a few battle traits might get nasty.

Good catch on the acolyte icon, will add that in. 

Seis cannons not worth it? What about mining lasers?

Also, is one unit with shotguns, one with autos a good idea, or should they all have autos as they'll just die up close? Guess I could combine the neophyte units to make a 20 blob that will survive, especially at the 25PL level. 

I like neophytes with shotguns. And flamers. A 10-neo squad gets you 2 flamers and 8 shotguns, all effective at the same range, all S4, AP0, but with 2d6 of the shots auto-hitting. I've found them very useful against T3 targets, like AdMech, and they roll enough dice to have a crack at finishing off other stuff too. Or putting down a crossfire marker for other units to benefit from.