Bigger bases - (dis)advantage?

Valkyrion

An imminent dilemma has just cropped up in that I intend to use the 40k 25th anniversary model when I upgrade my ancient to Chapter Ancient;

Warhammer+40,000+-++25th+Anniversary+Mod

This is literally the first time it's come up, and my guy is planted and painted and everything on his 60mm base. (not the one pictured!)

It's a friendly competitive game and I know my opponent will be okay with it not being totally legal (although it is a GW official model on an official GW base?) 

So.....what?

Is it just simply legal? Do I have an advantage? Does my opponent? 

Ironically, the thing that got me thinking about it was that my ancient can't have both a plasma pistol and a power fist, and it's that that I was going to tell my opponent about (I'll pay for the plasma pistol, or count it as a bolt pistol, whatever) but then I remembered the base. 

I don't know if GW changed their stance on base sizes.

That said, a bigger base works both ways. Your auras and stuff go a tad "further" and yet your guy is a little easier to target, especially in melee if he's a particularly wiley one.

Im always in favour of fitting the base to the mini rather than the rules but if you are playing a no-fun type arguably thats not a mini of an ancient so the model isnt "legal". It might be worth working out the difference between your standard base size (listed on waha pedia if you dont know) and reduce auras appropriately if someone is being a stick in the mud.

In my limited experience in conpetitive tournament play, bigger bases are considered more advantageous, especially for aura generating characters.

Since they are generally protected by look out sir or bodyguards , being easier to see isnt really a problem but gaining more bubble size is definitely considered an advantage.

For casuals, doubt anyone would mind (I have a primaris chaplain with a jumppack that folks appreciate the look of) but I would bet most tournament organizers would not allow it when you check in with them regarding proxies or other things that arent modelled completely accurate.

In anything but a proper tournament I think anyone would be ok with it for a single model. You’d just have to go in with the attitude that any time it might cause an issue you’d have to take the option that was more in your opponent’s favour than your own.

Personally, I’d always prefer to see something cool on the table rather than dot every I and cross every T in terms of the rules so long as it wasn’t egregious.

Edited by MARK0SIAN

If I read your post right, you have the other model you are using as an Ancient too?

In that case I'd suggest taking both with you and pre game just saying 'He's on a diorama base, so I'll count his 6" aura as 5.5", if they don't like that then use the other model for that game.

Personally I wouldn't care abut the range reduction, but it is an advantage so I think it's better to offer first and let your opponent say 'don't bother, use 6"' if they want.

This only really applies to tournaments (casual games I'd just ask the opponent if he was cool with it), and you'd need to make sure that this workaround/your model is cleared by the TO-

I would mark the base edge with an arrow or something that would be able to mark the base's leading edge, so you could easily swap in a standard/regular based model to make sure that something that could be possibly viewed as advantageous (in this case the Ancient's auras/during melee) could be measured properly. This would be the main issue I would take with the model, as giving a possible increase in aura range or the ability to block out enemies in melee is definitely an advantage. Having the "backup" model shows good faith that you aren't trying to violate the spirit of the game, while still having the fun of the themed unit. 

I think it was mentioned in the 4th edition rulebook that in the case of conversions, the opponent can always request said player to exchange the model with a ''standard pose non converted'' one to determine LOS.

So example if you had assault marines converted on tops of barrels, pieces of terrain that stuck out very high overall, you replaced 1 or 2 of them with regular ''grounded'' assault marines to determine actuall LOS.

As suggested above, I would bring both models with you to a tournament, make it clear before the battle, if your opponent does not agree just put down the regular model. I expect most to settle with the rule of cool though.

Its the main reasons why I magnetized my vanguar veterans on their bases so I can avoid this situation on a tournament by just putting them on regular bases if the opponent is a d*ck about it.

20211230_110203.jpg

As others have said, it would be a big deal for tournaments, but most casual games probably wouldn't care. The area of the base doesn't really matter for targeting. That has more to do with the size of the model itself. But you are increasing the aura by a large amount. Even a small increase in the base size will have a larger increase in the total amount of area that your aura covers. That's how areas of circles work. So it's almost all upside and very little downside. I agree with the suggestion above to propose using a 5.5" aura instead of 6".