Zone Mortalis Contemptor weapons

Kharash test dummy

Hello, I've read a number of threads on the best Contemptor loadouts in the past, but wondered what people think the ideal weapons are for Zone Mortalis games?

For obvious reasons you're not going to come up against tanks, so they will largely be used for killing marines, terminators and other dreadnoughts, so I guess large numbers of Las Cannons are unnecessary and while they look very cool, Conversion Beamers are unlikely to find a corridor long enough to give them their full effect.

I expect a lot of people will favour the Kheres, but are any other options worth considering?  The Plasma Cannon with its burst template maybe?

And where do you stand on the benefits of an extra close combat arm?  Is that one extra melee attack really worthwhile?  Or do you get more killing power from having a gun on the other arm?

So many questions!

In ZM games the shootings tend to be done at closer range, close combat is more prevalent. Dreadnoughts in 30k often performs better if they are specialized in either shooting (both arms shooting weapons) or close combat (both arms are close combat arms). And in ZM I'd recommend close combat arms on contemptors. This doesn't mean that they can't shoot since you can have a shooting weapon in the palm of the close combat claw/fist. You can have plasma blasters, meltaguns, bolter and graviton gun. melta guns are good to take out locked doors. Graviton guns are good to strip HP off a enemy dreadnought before charging.

I'd suggest 2x dreadnought close combat weapons with one being a chainfist, and have either graviton guns or meltaguns (magnetize) in the palms.

Either way, I strongly suggest you get N52 strength magnets and magnetize the arms on all your dreadnoughts you own, makes the model more versatile for list building and upcoming rule changes (HH 2nd ed is coming soon).

In ZM games the shootings tend to be done at closer range, close combat is more prevalent. Dreadnoughts in 30k often performs better if they are specialized in either shooting (both arms shooting weapons) or close combat (both arms are close combat arms). And in ZM I'd recommend close combat arms on contemptors. This doesn't mean that they can't shoot since you can have a shooting weapon in the palm of the close combat claw/fist. You can have plasma blasters, meltaguns, bolter and graviton gun. melta guns are good to take out locked doors. Graviton guns are good to strip HP off a enemy dreadnought before charging.

I'd suggest 2x dreadnought close combat weapons with one being a chainfist, and have either graviton guns or meltaguns (magnetize) in the palms.

Either way, I strongly suggest you get N52 strength magnets and magnetize the arms on all your dreadnoughts you own, makes the model more versatile for list building and upcoming rule changes (HH 2nd ed is coming soon).

Thanks, that's really good advice.

Just curious about the extra CCW though. Is it worthwhile mainly because of its dreadnought-killing capability? Because I wasn't sure if it's ability to kill one more marine in combat was enough of a reason to turn down something like a Kheres or Plasma Cannon. (Although take the point about the palm-mounted weapons).

You get an extra attack, which is useful for a dreadnought since they have hight strength attacks and can kill more marines in CC with an infantry squad and more likley make them flee instead of being locked in CC for several turns. If you're in CC with another dreadnought the armourbane rule on the chainfist gives you a higher probabiltiy to roll successful penetration rolls since you use two dice instead of one. In effect, armourbane is like the melta rule but immune to armoured ceramite.