Expanding my forces

Hi  

Thinking of expanding my force before the price rise.  Only played a couple of games so not massively up on the rules.  I currently have 1 of each warlord, 3 reavers with multiple options and 4 war hounds.  

Was thinking of adding some of the bigger titans and some knights.  What would people recommend? 

Cheers

Before the price rise, it might be worth considering some Warlord weapons? The FW weapons are pretty much necessary to make Warlords decent, and are pricey enough as it is!

Lancers are always good. I think they're the best knights in the game. (Porphs are objectively more killy, but not as fun to use.)

Otherwise, you've probably got a decent core, everything else will be for fun.

I've essentially stopped at 3 warlords, 5 Reavers, 6 Warhounds and a Warmaster. That basically gives me enough titans to run almost all of the maniples at 1750-2k, I don't have a Warbringer, but don't really like them enough to want to buy one.

Core titans aside, I also have a PSI Titan to paint, and will definitely grab at least one dire wolf, probs two if they aren't stupid stupid money!

Before the price rise, it might be worth considering some Warlord weapons? The FW weapons are pretty much necessary to make Warlords decent, and are pricey enough as it is!

Lancers are always good. I think they're the best knights in the game. (Porphs are objectively more killy, but not as fun to use.)

Otherwise, you've probably got a decent core, everything else will be for fun.

I've essentially stopped at 3 warlords, 5 Reavers, 6 Warhounds and a Warmaster. That basically gives me enough titans to run almost all of the maniples at 1750-2k, I don't have a Warbringer, but don't really like them enough to want to buy one.

Core titans aside, I also have a PSI Titan to paint, and will definitely grab at least one dire wolf, probs two if they aren't stupid stupid money!

Thanks for the response.  Which Warmaster would you recommend? As for the FW weapons which are best?  Finally for knights how many and which types should I get?

What Brother Adelard said pretty much :biggrin.:  

Id consider a Warbringer though! 

Why is that?  I a not a massive fan of the model, is it fun to play?

I quite like my Warbinger. It's good for smaller point games where you can't squeeze a warlord in or you want to run a more mobile force but need some punch. It also adds some diversity I think. We don't have many titan options at the moment. I get you on the model though. It just doesn't feel right and I can't quite put my finger on it. I keep thinking of converting the torso so it doesn't have a quake cannon on top and is more like a warlord but it just seems like it's too much work!! 

If you're going to grab a Warmaster I'd grab the normal variant with Plasma. There are a few 3rd party sites that offer close combat weapons if you want to run an Iconoclast (I'm still looking for a drill though). Although the Iconoclast does feel more 'fun'. 

Edited by Lord_Borak

To save me doing a lot of typing on my phone, I actually did a run through of the FW weapons on Trokair's thread recently:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/371465-what-books-and-for-what-getting-started/page-2?do=findComment&comment=5795856

I have the shooty Warmaster, but tbh, besides loving how it looks, I've only used it once, and wasn't massively enamoured with its performance. (It's also the unluckiest thing I've ever put on a table!) I think they're overpriced, which makes them unplayable at normal game size.

I love the Artillery titan look of the Warbringer even if it only works that way in the one maniple, Arcus i think? That is great fun to play with though, lobbing blasts all over the place :) As mentioned its a good lighter option when Warlords dont quite fit.

I'd echo the point of grabbing resin guns for Warlords. A macro gat (or two, or one and a volkite) quake cannon and set of paired gatlings are what you need. Pick up a Reaver VMB while you're at it. Volkites, claws and shock lances for fun only.

You could potentially consider a banner of armigers. There's great utility in having an 85 point activation that can outflank for one stratagem point. You can only have them if you also have some other knight banner though, so probably get some lancers or something. But have a look on ebay for lancers, as people often sell them cheap out of the starter set. Atrapos knights from FW are ok, but probably worse than lancers and cost way more money.

I'm currently hovering over buying myself some Armigers. I can't decide whether to get just three of them or to go for three banners so I don't have to mix weapons. £96 seems a bit mad though.

I'd echo the point of grabbing resin guns for Warlords. A macro gat (or two, or one and a volkite) quake cannon and set of paired gatlings are what you need. Pick up a Reaver VMB while you're at it. Volkites, claws and shock lances for fun only.

You could potentially consider a banner of armigers. There's great utility in having an 85 point activation that can outflank for one stratagem point. You can only have them if you also have some other knight banner though, so probably get some lancers or something. But have a look on ebay for lancers, as people often sell them cheap out of the starter set. Atrapos knights from FW are ok, but probably worse than lancers and cost way more money.

I'm currently hovering over buying myself some Armigers. I can't decide whether to get just three of them or to go for three banners so I don't have to mix weapons. £96 seems a bit mad though.

Thanks for the advise.  Is there anywhere to see the rules for the FW weapons and models before actually buying them?

Sorry, I forget that people newer to the game won't have rules for all the original stuff. The old Grand Master edition came with at least one card for every weapon.

You'll need a set of the Warlord weapon cards, but they don't come from FW. The volkites have "cards" that come printed on the paper packaging they come in.

Here's a photo of that packaging, in case it helps:

51255997599_e47dd2a17f_c.jpg

Basically though, they are bad guns. The Warlord one is interesting because that beam option lets you hit a location automatically - at least assuming everything goes well when you push your reactor. The smaller version is just far worse than a vulcan mega bolter, for double the cost. That penalty to hit at long range is particularly painful because it makes them hopeless as finishers, which is a role the (accurate, rapid) VMB excels at.

I actually rate the destructor. The eradicator is garbage.

The destructor is interesting. It's sort of on a level with the macro gatling and I see the two as kind of interchangeable. It is a problem that you have to push your reactor to get the beam effect but that does allow for auto-hitting targeted shots, which is excellent. I've only fielded mine once but it got killing blows on two warhounds and a warmaster. A macro gatling very likely would have done so too, but there are always those times when you roll 6 dice and don't get any 5s, which doesn't happen with the destructor. Of course, at only S6 it can sometimes just fail to do anything, but it's usually enough against a compromised location.

Yeah i rated the big volkite enough to get the battlebling version, i only used it once and its bearer got waaaaay too hot as she stubbornly refused to vent any heat, so im not sure it was very indicative :D