Autarch Configurations

Prot

If you're anything like me, you've got your Autarch out, decided on a body, and the rest of the pieces are scattered on your desk and you're not sure what to do with it.... 

Okay, maybe it's not that bad but I do find the HQ to be just a plethora of choices and therefore I haven't figured it out. So I thought maybe we could have a thread of 2 or 3 builds that seem to be working for you guys.

If you've got a fun/successful build for your Autarch, please feel free to share it. I imagine we could do a few builds based on role specific ideas.

IE: Fast Attack Autarch, Support Autarch, Close Combat Autarch, etc, etc.

Anyone want to start?

Mine is going to be a close ranged Autarch to run with my Warp Spiders. I am going for Jump Generator, Fusion Gun, Star Glaive and Banshee Mask. This loadout makes him fairly flexible. While the Spiders can shred infantry, he can threaten heavier targets. While not a melee powerhouse, he is quite capable of taking out backfield units, even up to Marines. He also has the ability to turn off Overwatch meaning that against shooty opponents like Tau, he can lead the Spiders into melee where they may actually be safer than facing more firepower.

I haven't settled on a Relic or WLT yet. The ones in the new codex seem a bit uninspired to be honest. Fate's Messenger looks interesting for the ability to shrug off one big hit per turn but I think some experimentation may be needed.

Yeah, Star Glaive is D2.

I'm also very torn on Autarch loadouts. I'm probably just going to buy more Autarchs. I hate magnetizing infantry but it's an awesome kit so I won't mind building a few. I am not running finecast Aspects, so that rules out Warp Spiders and Swooping Hawks, so those modes of transport are not that important to me. Putting an Autarch next to Dark Reapers feels a bit silly unless I run more than one squad now that they're capped at 5. So running up with Scorpions or Banshees is probably my most likely choice. If I do that, I would probably want to be able to threaten anything that the Aspects would struggle with, so Star Glaive and Fusion Gun, maybe?

Honestly, the combo of Warp Jump Generator / Fusion Gun / Star Glaive was what I immediately gravitated towards. Jump around, target some armour, Battle Focus away. As much as I'd love to use either the reaper launcher or the spinner, there are already units that can do that. Fire Dragons are a bit stuck for mobility without a transport, so this felt very much like the 'rapid response' autarch for dealing with armour.

I have five old metals and one EO plastic so I'm kinda spoiled for choice. Initially I'm going to do wings/mandiblasters/Banshee blade/fusion pistol with the Shard of Anaris and the Altansar WLT that let's me pick a unit within 9" to shoot, Advance, or Fall Back and still take actions.

There's some neat combos that I thought of but then remembered equipment was restricted. Darn! If you could take a Death Spinner, a blender Autarch would be even better against hordes: Scorpion Mask + shard of Anaris for: minimum 9, max 11 attacks with 6s to wound being mortals in addition. An Autarch with a Scorpion Mask + Fireblade will deal 2 MWs on a wound roll of a 6 (VS non-vehicles) which might be worth having a couple of  wound Strand of Fate dice hanging around if you need something dead.

For me I think I'll keep my Autarch cheap and cheerful: Starglaive, Shuriken Pistol, Banshee Mask and Firesabre. The Banshee mask allows the Autarch to stop Overwatch for another unit that doesn't have the ability, plus -1A and fight last for those in engagement range is fantastic. If I desperately need AT, I can take a Fusion gun for a great toolbox unit

I just don't like the idea of the Autarch in combat. I find the combinations very confusing on the Autarch.

So I don't know that the Jump Generator is better or worse than the Wing, but the wings look cooler to me. No idea really.

Let me make sure I have this right: When assaulting with a unit that has 'fly' you can hop over friendly/enemy models, but not ignore terrain movement like a Ruin. So if you were assaulting someone above you, you still have to climb that terrain feature, but can hop over opponent's models to do so. Right? (My understanding for dense terrain is it doesn't affect FLY units anyway.)

So is the advantage of the Generator the ability to -teleport- through terrain walls, etc?

Right now, I have mine set up cheaply as: Jump Generator, Banshee Mask, Fusion Gun, StarGlaive.

The above comes in about 120. I'm making him a warlord, and he has the option of taking the Firesabre  but I don't think it's worth it over the glaive? So instead with Aegis he gets to a 2+ and -1 damage. (I may dump this though.). And with Fate's Messenger he can flat out ignore damage on a failed save.

I admit my setup goes totally against what I think he should be doing. I love Banshees so he's kind of redundant. I am a bigger believer in him floating up (maybe with wings?) and then roasting a target, while staying safe behind Banshees, or even... Wraithblades?

Right now, I have mine set up cheaply as: Jump Generator, Banshee Mask, Fusion Gun, StarGlaive.

The above comes in about 120. I'm making him a warlord, and he has the option of taking the Firesabre  but I don't think it's worth it over the glaive? So instead with Aegis he gets to a 2+ and -1 damage. (I may dump this though.). And with Fate's Messenger he can flat out ignore damage on a failed save.

That looks a good loadout. I agree that the Firesabre does not seem to offer enough of an upgrade over the Starglaive to warrant the use of a Relic slot. The Aegis on the other hand looks pretty solid. Fate's Messenger is good for dodging one big hit a turn too although I am also tempted by Walker of Many Paths as that will really help get the best mileage out of that Fusion Gun now that the Autarch cannot benefit from his own reroll aura.

The only real difference, as far as I can tell, is the Wings have 2" more move but the Jump Generator can Battle Focus 2d6". So if you really want to lean into getting into combat the wings are better but if you want to be reliably hiding after firing or something like that, take the jump generator. I think in any other situations they're functionally the same, unless I'm forgetting something. So it comes down to what you're going to do with the Autarch.

Edit: Of course it also matters if you want the restricted loadout or not

Edited by Nemesor Tyriks

The only real difference, as far as I can tell, is the Wings have 2" more move but the Jump Generator can Battle Focus 2d6". So if you really want to lean into getting into combat the wings are better but if you want to be reliably hiding after firing or something like that, take the jump generator. I think in any other situations they're functionally the same, unless I'm forgetting something. So it comes down to what you're going to do with the Autarch.

Edit: Of course it also matters if you want the restricted loadout or not

By restricted load out, do you mean the Wings come attached with banshee blade/mandiblaster set up? 

WJG fusion gun, glaive is the obvious stand out choice, but I'll be magnetising for more options. 

Spiders are reasonable on their own, and having two JSJ units trying to keep pace with one another might be trouble. Putting him with Avengers might be an option for the high shot output.

I spent the weekend magnetising my Autarch, and it is really easy. The final result also feels quite solid, and not flimsy as some magnetised models feel. 

I'll be running Jump Generator, Star Glaive, Fusion Gun and Banshee mask too, but I love the other options too much to no magentise!

My winged Autarch is magnetised too, just in case GW do the right thing and FAQ the datasheet. 

Nice. I wish I had magnetized mine, but I've been magnetizing my bikes and it really slowed me down, and I wanted to get the Autarch on the table for a game!

So he was a nice surprise. I admit as I lean towards Ulthwé a second Farseer would be nice, but it's hard not to have fun with that Autarch.

Huzzah, they've released a PDF that allows all configurations. If only that had been in the codex

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/03/15/walk-all-the-paths-at-once-with-the-updated-aeldari-autarch-datasheet/

Edited by TrawlingCleaner

I gotta say I’ve been having a blast with my Autarch as configured above. Since I play a Battalion most people don’t take Assassinate against my farseers. So I send my Autarch into the most ludicrous missions. So far he’s killed a few tanks, a squad of Custodians, a GSC tank, a few HQs (by jumping, sniping with the Fusion and battle focusing away). No one pays much attention to him and I kind if hide him and then spring him into action mid game. 

I haven’t had this much fun with an HQ in along time. I think I play him like this because he isn’t critical to my overall strategy. 

Edited by Prot

I've been thinking recently.  The banshee mask is probably the superior pick in most instances, but as I'm painting a mandiblaster/star glaive/JG model for the A&A event it occurred to me that the more attacks you have, the greater chance of procing MWs off the mandiblasters.  The Shard of Anaris can increase your attack volume by 4-6 attacks.  As long as you're not worried about overwatch from your charge target, that's not a bad way of delivering a couple MWs per assault phase.

I agree. You definitely have the more offensive build. My version is just a… gnat, with a really big gun!  I’ve had him tie up a quarter in late game, or just simply pick on something my opponent thought he could hide from the Warp jump generator!  

I don’t really think there is an obvious build or a truly bad one, just different applications. 

I’m playing with lots of assault elements including Banshees, so I can’t afford an interrupt, or he’s probably dead. On the other hand  find the reroll mediocre, but it does come in handy when I have him hang out with Wraithblades. I let the wraithblades take the interrupt, he remains untouched, and usually farts off into a corner of the board. Lots of fun. 

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at making two of them. One to fly around on wings (and be able to keep up with banshees if I feel like it), and one to be able to sit in a transport with either dragons or wraith guard for some CC punch if needed.

I haven't completely ironed how I want to tool them, but I'm thinking a banshee mask on the walking Autarch with a fusion gun (synergizes fairly well with either Dragons or wraithcannons) and magnetizing the scorpion chainsword and banshee blade. Banshee blade for if I can spring for the shard of Anaris, and the chainsword if I can't. The Wraithcannons should make quick work of any single targets, so I'd need him to be a chaff-clearer in melee.

I'm thinking the one with wings would probably have the mandiblaster, a star glaive (good for either upgrading to the relic or not), and maybe magnetize a death-spinner and fusion pistol.

Anyone want to weigh in?

FWIW, I do know I can only field one of them at a time.

Edited by Paladin777