Unit of the Week series: chaos spawn

Wolf Lord Loki

Recently played a GT and had a unit of 5 with grandfathers influence and they did very well, probably my best unit in terms of scoring. Bumping up to T6 and -1 damage really makes your opponent commit to killing them (even with just  5+).  I'd usually hit them with flash outbreak and send them right out to the middle obj, boost their contagion range with gift of plagues, and they become a huge annoyance.  Their melee is very swingy, but can absolutely kill anything they get in combat with.

They're also good to take in single units for turn 1 strangle holds.

They are not horrible, but Deathguard have a lot of other scary melee threats that do what spawn do better than spawn do it.

It's role in a DG army is just crowded out by better choices.

Thrir role isn't killing - it's being relatively fast, getting on midfield objectives and being and being a pain to get rid if. I've used small units to blitz objectives and hold out untill poxwalkers can get there. They are also good at clearing out forward operatives like kommandos.

Haven't used a squad of 5 but I think they would do well. Also single modrl units can score engage rather well, while being hidden.

Solid, well costed unit.

Spawns are great !

Either a couple of single man units to score Stranglehold or deny deepstrike in your backfield, or units of 3 with "Grand father blessing" strat to rush forward ; they are pretty nasty in close combat and need to be dealt with, and anything that is a priority target in my army gives a chance for my Plague marines to survive and score primaries a little longer.

And they are so cheap, it would be a shame not to field a few !