Handling Skorpekh Destroyers

Orpheus108

Greetings Fetid Ones,

Im been able to get a fair few 40k games in lately which has been great.

My army I normally play is the inexorable and my friends mainly plays Nercons. The only thing I have trouble with is his damn Skorpekh Destroyers, not matter how much I throw at them before they close in for hand to hand, I can't take them.

The one time I took them was being it from my PBC and dreadnought, just unloading every turn to take them finally.

How do others play against the necrons, any tips and tricks, units to use and so forth.

Cheers all

Use our force them to fight last bubble, and deathshroud or melee kitted plague marines. Alternatively charge them with a bloat drone with a flesh mower, kill a few, then blow up and kill one more when they it. Or lots of pox walkers that they are just stuck in combat for 2 turns with cheap chaff?

I didn't have such a hard time fighting Skorpekh ; any Dam3 character, Dreadnought or close combat Plague marine squad usually deal with them pretty correctly : just make sure you kill a couple with shooting before engaging them, to avoid too many reanimation dice ;) !

I know they have a strat for -1 to wound, but we can easily have access to full rerolls to wound (archcontaminator), and we have a +1 to wound strat (which is a pricey 2CP, but that's an other debate)

Necron player here- to fight Skorpekh you need a few things, either enough high-strength, multiple damage firepower/melee power to take out the entire unit in one go, or a bunch of disposable chaff to tarpit them hard are the most common ways to do it. DG can do either, with melee units like Deathshroud and tarpits like pox walkers. For me, the most annoying way is to tarpit them, as Skorpekh are designed to fight against stuff like termies/light vehicles and pox walkers just absorb all the AP/multi-damage that Skorpekh throw out.

The other option is to try to pick off one or two Skorpekh with a single unit's fire, then do it again and again- Reanimation Protocols are more difficult with multi-Wound models, so killing off one Skorpekh is most likely going to guarantee that it won't come back, whereas killing off 3+ but not wiping them means you are looking at 1-2 coming back. This strategy works, but relies on having a lot of units with an anti-tank weapon (to punch through both the Toughness and -1 Wound strat) shooting, generally meaning that IG and GSC are the armies that can do this with their multiple heavy weapons teams/neophyte heavy weapon users. 

I wouldn't be afraid of skorpekh. More likely than not they will start on the board and you can take them out with PBC mortars if you want. It's also a nice way of baiting out CP usage for the -1 to wound strat .If you get lucky and start then shoot one PBC mortar into them without the devastating force strat - your oponent will probably use the strat and you are free to target other thing with your PBC.

I

Well some minor changes to the army and ill give it all a go.

As for tarpitting them, I've got enough to keep his units busy with them, as I was thinking of going with Typhus' army list to drop in units of PM and wittle them away with firepower, and use 2 more PBC to pound them into the ground as they are in the back line and can reach them.

I'll add a batrep after we play again.

But all good info, love it

Edited by Orpheus108

My most recent game against Necrons I destroyed a unit of 6 destroyers in the shooting phase with a Contemptor w/beamers and missile launcher and a unit of 5 in melee with 5 Deathshroud. The Beamer backed up to be at 48”+ and I was hitting on 2’s re-rolling 1’s w/exploding 6’s. So it was 6 shots and got 2 more, wounding on 2’s with -3AP D4 killing 5 and the 2 missile shots took out the last 1. Charged the other unit with the 5 Deathshroud and the 42 attacks mulched them to nothingness. It’s possible with the right units to remove them, just don’t let them get to your soft targets.