GW lore vs BL lore

Just curious about the general view on lore.

On FB someone said only Dante and SG get to wear all gold, because they think it was in one of the most recent BA books from BL, and that retcons Tycho and the old generic captain that was all good that looked like Tycho.

In my opinion GW and codexes take precedence, because there’s no guarantee that the BL authors really have any sort of actual knowledge on 40k lore. So if there’s no contradiction then sure BL is canon, but if there’s a conflict between old GW lore and more current BL lore, I say the GW lore is the correct thing until a codex or something from GW proper says otherwise.

How do you guys see it?

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

It seems like a silly thing to argue over to me, especially since the Sanguinor and Sanguinary Guard also wear all gold.

One of the core elements of the setting is that lore is often contradictory and incomplete, depending upon the perspective of whoever it is that is providing the information in question. In addition, material gets retconned regularly.

Ultimately, it's up to each individual to determine which bits of lore (regardless of source) they hold to be pre-eminent over other conflicting bits of lore. One person could look at a lore conflict and decide one way, while another person could decide the same lore conflict another way, and both are okay.

It is also pertinent to note that colour schemes/markings/armour colours are represent a specific time. It is noted lore that Chapters change their markings from campaign to campaign to confuse their enemies.

So in that context, only Dante and the SG may be correct for current timeframe of the novel, but it does not retcon past lore for other time periods

ALSO, all lore should be consumed from an "unreliable narrator" perspective. In regards to precedence, if there is a direct conflict, Codecies trump BL for me

Edited by Grotsmasha

The best way I’ve heard 40k lore described is Everything is canon, not everything is true.

Or, to borrow a phrase from a simple tailor and his apothecary, “My dear doctor, they’re all true. / Even the lies? / Especially the lies.”

Cherry-pick what you want, read what you like, and enjoy the hobby.

I think if there’s a contradiction I’d probably give more weight to the codex. However, there’s definitely a time caveat with that. If a current codex and a recently released novel contradict each other then I’d probably go with the codex. But if a recently released novel is contradicting something from a 4th/5th edition codex then I’d probably go with the more recent novel.

However I’m only taking about direct contradictions, in terms of a grey area I just pick the interpretation I like best and go with that in my head :)

Considering Tycho is dead, I doubt what color his armor really matters now...

As for the differences between codices and BL novels- meh. GW will retcon and change whatever they want, so I always view it as everything is true, just seen through different lens. 

On FB someone said...

Always be wary of discussions that begin with those words. Did they provide evidence to their claim, or anything substantial? Maybe at the moment only Dante and SG wear gold, as Tycho is dead. However all my captains do. 

As per GW, all* BL lore is canon. All GW lore is canon. They're the same company. If they contradict, that's something you have to resolve. If GW still present tycho in gold armour, then it's very clear that Tycho has not been 'retconned' to not wear gold. 

*all but C.S.Goto's books

Based on pictures we have, Blood Angels captains can wear red, gold, silver/white or in unfortunate circumstances black... What we don't know is if this is based on which suit of relic armour they happen to have (my preferred explanation) or the Captain's personal preference.

Based on that and the likelihood that a fir number of the Blood Angel Captains in the current time are Primaris, who wouldn't fit in the relic armour and we know Karlaen of the first company wears red terminator armour out of preference and I think it's most likely that at the current point in the setting all 10 Captains are wearing red, but that they don't have to. 

The best way I’ve heard 40k lore described is Everything is canon, not everything is true.

Or, to borrow a phrase from a simple tailor and his apothecary, “My dear doctor, they’re all true. / Even the lies? / Especially the lies.”

Cherry-pick what you want, read what you like, and enjoy the hobby.

Off topic, but high five for that reference! :D

On topic: There have been a lot of contradictions between GW and BL fluff. Some of the authors even adress it in the lore. I would advise against going with one and discarding the other - you are robbing yourself of cool ideas and personalisation of your army. Pick and choose from the overall lore to create YOUR army. 

I mean, I certainly want my fictional army to be as "realistic" as possible, but I'm the one setting the boundaries. If some of your units are all gold while current lore says they aren't, well, maybe your army is from a point in time 5 years ahead of that book, where your dudes would have switched to gold. As long as you stay in the overall scheme and squad markings, I think your army will look like a perfectly realistic depiction of Blood Angels. :)

TL;DR: You do you, take what you like, disregard what you don't.

As a Blood Angels player, I stay pretty up to date on their codexes and novels. I don't remember anything saying that only Dante and SG wear gold. I could definitely have missed something, but I suspect whatever they saw was just a passing, one-off line taken out of context or misinterpreted. 

I come from a time before the lore was laid out, all we had was a drawing of a crux and a marksman's bullet. Do what you want. My blood angels are in red, white, silver, gold and black. Some have a single gold finger or a white arm or a black helmet or whatever to represent their affiliations to different aspects of the chapter and personalisation to their Armour. BA are after all artists. Enjoy your hobby