Successor Chapter Questions

Sigvard

Hail brothers!

Quick question about the whole successpr chapter thing. If I choose to go Born Heroes and Whirlwind of Rage how am I still getting access to Space Wolves stuff as it has absolutely nothing to do with Wolves. Help me figure out what I'm missing!?

Your successor combo is the primary choice in competitive meta

The entire reason for the combo is double exploding 6s in the assault doctrine

You have to maximize the synergy with THs or LCs in you melee units and use combos for rerolling all hits to fish for 6s when you attack

The spike damage SW put out can turn the tide of a game. A single wulfen with a TH has the potential to go absolutely bonkers (i killed morvenn vahl with 1 wulfen once bc i rolled 3 6s to hit)

There is a price to pay

-you lose army wide HI

-you lose extra attack on BC and skyclaws and swift claws (berserk charge only works for pure SW)

-you are limited to 1 SW relic and it costs more (always armor of russ)

That Successor Combo is incredible.  Double Exploding 6s and re-rolling everything that isn't a 6 will result in hitting more times than you swing.

A Master of Sanctity with the re-roll hits bubble is HUGE!

My 5-man Bladeguard Squad removes Knights in one round of Combat.

To build off of TiguriusX 

Army Wide Heroic Intervention - eh, you should be the one charging and you need to be charging to get the most anyways

Losing Extra attack on Blood Claws/Sky Claws/Swift Claws - you will more than make up for this with double exploding 6s

Limited to 1x Space Wolf Relic - I would ADD The Wulfen Stone it's great on a Chaplain with Jump Pack leading Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield Wolf Guard with Jump Packs

You also have to pay extra CP for relics of the fang.

Honestly if your approaching the game from a competitive mind set it's probably the way to go. Hopefully that changes a bit though.

Totally not approaching it from a competitive mindset don't worry. I've just had thay suggested to me a few times and seen it in list feedback and couldn't see how or why it was possible.

Intersting discussion, have jsut returned to wolves and currently rebuilding my 5th edition firstborn list.

The successors chapter combo looks really potent, do people miss the heroic intervention though?

Id need to rework my list as currently have murderfang with a coupe of blizz shield dreads, and presume i cant take murderfang in successors? But deffo food for thought!

Raven Guard successor player here: I can confirm that BH/WWOR are bonkers in RG against characters and, having been on the receiving end of hairy wolf-men successor chapters with BH/WWOR, it is even more widely applicable and therefore even more bonkers in your chapter :) 

Intersting discussion, have jsut returned to wolves and currently rebuilding my 5th edition firstborn list.

The successors chapter combo looks really potent, do people miss the heroic intervention though?

Id need to rework my list as currently have murderfang with a coupe of blizz shield dreads, and presume i cant take murderfang in successors? But deffo food for thought!

I'm sure people miss the Heroic Intervention, but it is more than offset by the advantages of Born Heroes and Whirlwind of Rage.  Also, there is still a Heroic Intervention stratagem to be used, when needed.  

That's right, no named Characters, including Murderfang, in a Successor Chapter.  That, and Relic limitations/CP costs, are really the only drawbacks.  I really like playing with Bjorn and Njal; there isn't a great way to replicate Bjorn for a Successor, but you can always substitute a Primaris Librarian with Chief Librarian upgrade for Njal and get pretty close.

When it comes to heroic intervention I don't know if it's alot to give up.

1) Early in the edition it gave board control but at this point it's hard to keep things on the table for very long. Which devalues it.

2) In alot of ways its a knowledge check ability so that means it's going to be worse against players who know its coming.

Can't stress enough how much the lack of durability hurts HI, I'm not even playing against the top tier armies and units just don't survive in the open.