Thinking about starting Aeldari!

Jack Burton

Hey all,

I have the opportunity to start a small Craftworld army, and I'd like a general idea of whether it'll be any good.  Here are the models I have a chance to get quite easily:

Farseer

Autarch

10 Windriders

10 Howling Banchees

10 Striking Scorpions

10 Dire Avengers

20 Guardian Defenders

3 Fire Prisms

4 Wave Serpents

I don't want to know if I can necessarily make a super competitive army out of this, just something that will stand up well in casual play.  What do you think?

That looks like a good starting point for an army. Plenty of infantry and some armoured support plus a couple of Charcters to lead them. You have a balance of melee and range as well as both anti-tank and anti horde capability.

The only obvious thing you are missing is a 3rd Troop unit for a Battalion. Maybe look to add a squad of Rangers. They are cheap, ObjSec and can deploy in no-mans-land as well as occasionally plinking off the odd MW with their sniper rifles.

If you want to start a Craftworlds army and you like those models, then get them! 

You can run the Elite/Vanguard detachment easily, minus a prism, maybe, however as above, you just need one more troop to run a battallion.

Edited by Xenith

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just joined the craftworlds today.

Building out my force and have one question I'm not sure of on Wraithlord.  Can it have two of the same heavy weapon or do they have to be 2 different ones?  I've read the wargear options several times and I can't parse if it's meant to be different or if they are allowed to be the same.

All that said, what do you guys think a good loadout is if I'm going with a Ghostglaive and 2 shuriken catapults?

Yes, Wraithlords can take 2 of the same heavy weapon if you want but you will need to find the duplicate weapon somewhere as the kit only comes with one of each IIRC.

Ghostglaive is so good as to be almost auto-take in my opinion. Even a single round of melee will allow it to make its points back against most opponents, either by hitting harder to making more attacks.

Flamer or shuricats are fine, I don't think there is enough difference one way or the other make a clear case.

Well I just joined the craftworlds today.

Building out my force and have one question I'm not sure of on Wraithlord.  Can it have two of the same heavy weapon or do they have to be 2 different ones?  I've read the wargear options several times and I can't parse if it's meant to be different or if they are allowed to be the same.

All that said, what do you guys think a good loadout is if I'm going with a Ghostglaive and 2 shuriken catapults?

My take is.... there is no auto take. Just my experience so far is this is such a rare (and flexible) unit for Eldar. Where most are apparently thrust into a certain role, this is one of the exceptions; very similar to a Dreadnought. 

So when you're building your army, my recommendation is (since everyone has marines) is think of which dreadnought is going to suit your build. 

As a result, I magnetized the shoulder mounts. There's just a ridiculous amount of options here. For example, I'm not taking the sword on mine right now because my list has Wraithblades with axe/shield, 2 squads of Banshees, JZ, and the Wraithlord is in the back shooting a Brightlance, and the other weapon flips from EML, to Scatter (depending on points). But he's a fire support unit for me, that diligently watches my behind for infiltrators. He's really not there to sweep through CC units. (Not to say that you can't have that role for him!)

So my catapults are glued on, and I am happy with fists for now I can probably change that if I had to, but the biggest thing to me is try not to glue on those weapons for the shoulder mounts. In previous years I even just pinned them on which works too.

I think the problem with Wraithlords is that because you can do so many different things with them, it's easy to buy too much stuff and have too many points in one target. I have had fun with it totally bare except for a sword (against sisters so I knew it would get into combat) or as a shooty build sitting back. I am always tempted to do both so it's versatile but I think I would have regretted that. The sword would have been a waste on the shooty one and heavy guns would have been a waste on the other one (not saying it always would be, just so far my games haven't gone in a way that it would pay off).

My personal preference for Wraithlords is in the mid-field as they are pretty great Objective brawlers. I give them the Glaive and push them forwards but I normally take heavy weapons too since they can fire them in combat too thanks to BGNT.

Yeah, I meant more just be aware that you can sink a lot into it. A lot of the upgrades look to me on paper like they're worth it for that little extra kick but then suddenly my 100pt model has become a 165pt model that my opponent has a lot more reason to shoot. Since we have other really good platforms for guns I think I just want to keep it cheap and give it scatter lasers or nothing for now. I haven't used scatters at all yet but I could have used the volume in my last game. But my meta is pretty limited at the moment so obviously what is working for me won't work for everyone!

I guess I tend to tool my units up fairly heavily on the basis that it works out cheaper than buying a second unit to carry those weapons. Of course more units means more flexibility and more wounds on the table so I guess it is swings and round-abouts.