So, Harlequins

Emurian

20220324_173822.jpg?width=380&height=67620220324_173816.jpg?width=380&height=676
20220324_173754.jpg?width=380&height=67620220324_173808.jpg?width=380&height=676
20220324_173722.jpg?width=380&height=67620220324_173734.jpg?width=380&height=676
20220324_173701.jpg?width=380&height=67620220324_173711.jpg?width=380&height=676
20220324_173623.jpg?width=380&height=67620220324_173634.jpg?width=380&height=676
20220324_173908.jpg?width=1202&height=67

So this is my first attempt at painting Harlequins. TBH I noticed I was getting a painting burnout so I challenged myself with this instead. Im pretty satisfied overall with the results. Tbh the hardest part for me was drawing the diamond pattern on the uneven surface. The 2nd highlight being applied in the diamonds is not as hard as I thought. MVP for me was the micropen with this paintjob as it saved me a ton of headaches with these lines.

I have contacted a painting studio to paint up a harlequin army for me: 25 troupes, 4 transports, 5 bikes, 1x all characters. I gave them a decent sized project to start with while I was waiting for the new CWE dex to drop.

I would like to request here some input regarding configurations. From my understanding the caress/kiss/embrace just gets evenly distributed amongst the squads 2:2:1? The fusion pistols im less sure about if I should go for a full loadout, or stick with 2 to keep the units cheaper overall.

How do you guys execute playing with Harlequins? I main Ultramarines, used to main DE/CWE in 4th edition so I have some experience when it comes to mobility armies.

Am I positioning everything T1 to fully engage in T2? 

Can I expect the 5 troupes to clear up an enemy squad completely? (somewhat sceptical about this even when considering 5 pistol shots)

Do you truly stick your loaded voidweavers on objectives early? Or do you unload their cargo in the mid field and then take a turn to claim them?

Which secondaries do you guys tend to pick on average? and which stratagems do you notice suck you dry on CP every game?

TY for your time.

First off, wow! These look great. Secondly from what ive read the kiss, caress and embrace now all the share the same stat lines so just what youd like to put on them. As for fusion guns, i like 2 in one unit, 1 in another with a nuero and another with 2 nueros. The camping idea is hard for us. Keeping in distance and pouncing when its time works better for me. Unfortunately i cant coach you on strats now because i havent got to play with the new yet. Either way just enjoy yourself. Cant wait to see more.

I'll second the Wow on that squad :wub:   The Gold's and blues go really well. very fine work. I have not played yet with my Harlies yet so any advice from me would simply be Nerd Theory hammer  thoughts and not real gameplay theory... 

Looking at your force, i'd save my money and paint it myself if they are all going to look like that... :happy.:

Good luck with your army whichever way you go, and show us here when it's done.

Cheers, Mithril

They are great! They look like mine but with better executed diamonds. I agree with Mithril, you should save your money and paint them yourself! I do feel you pain though. I found it really difficult to keep the diamonds the right size when faced with bumps and bends, even with using the pen.

I've had 1 game with the new dex. I have another one tonight then I'm in a 3 game 2k tourny tomorrow so I'll have more info on tactics and stats.

I'm running a light saedath list as I was a soring spite player. I have 2 transports with 2 x 5 strong troupes loaded with 2x fusion and one of each cc weapon with a TM with a fusion in each too. 12 x bikes. 2 x Voidweavers. a shadow seer, death jester and a webway gate. There will be 12 strong foot troupe too. These will have 4 x Neuro and 2 x each cc weapon.

Plan is to keep at distance and pick up back and mid objectives early doors with the big troupe. Then wait for the opposition to come to me. Hit them hard and claim back field objectives late game. I'm most worried about tau castles and custodes always fight first forces.

the cc strats are awesome and can be used with others to gain ap and fight again. this will use all cp in one go though.

Well for me the thing is that Time is on the top of my ''problems'' list and money is at the bottom.

*slight brag* since the start of this year I got a new job that pays very well (3k after taxes, average wage is 1700) The downside is that im often to tired now when I come home to sit down with the 4 hours remaining and get some decent progress done. The thing is ive been painting for around 3 years straight, 28/31 days on average for 2+ hours so thats why im feeling the painting burnout. With the disposable income I have (2500 ish) its actually much easier for me to buy an army rather then paint it.

It feels. .  like im cheating out on a large part of the hobby aspect. The painting process makes you bond on an emotionall level with the miniatures which I will be lacking. The reason I wanted to paint at least 1 squad is just to prove that I can do it and it was a nice challenge compared painting another random marine when 8k sits done in the display case.

The main reason I commisioned the Harlequins is because I do not have airbrush skills, and I do not want to start learning it when painting Harlequins lol

1-15.jpeg

This is why I want them to pull off my bikes/transports. I just have to accept that I am not going to be able to replicate this with my brush. Their gallery in general looks impressive enough so I am going to cross my fingers that these guys can do what I want. The other option would be getting 1 squad / month done so give me about a year and I might have the army painted up to my standards before some new codex drops and I need to keep working on it. (I already juggle between painting Smurfs or Vostroyan Firstborn) 

It will take some time before I get the miniatures (I should be the next project in about 4 weeks) but I will give you guys an update once their done.

• 1 month later...

As promised, heres an update.  My commision painter sended me pictures of the first batch he finished. 2nd batch should include  2nd death jester and 6 Voidweavers (Picked out the pictures that showed multiple models per shot)

TBH it came out better then expected, I am really content with the work they provided and instantly pmmed them to check prices for my mordheim warband. 

p.jpegp.jpegp.jpegp.jpeg

Edited by Emurian