Are GW terrain kits a let down?

New terracing is truly incredible

Autocorrect or are you showing off about your new garden decking ready for the summer? :biggrin.:

I think Inquisitor Lensoven is both right and wrong on this topic. The multitude of ruins does make for a bit of copy paste (or soulless), but the terrain now is far superior in every other conceivable way that I think it's a fair trade.  I'm not sure the bit in italics is even objective, rather it is fact. One might prefer one over the other, but just like in all fields and trades, sometimes things are just better.  Sometimes the trade off with 'better' is longevity, like cars or washing machines - you could argue that a washer that lasts 20 years is better than one that lasts 5, but if it's running at 10 times the power and water then it's actually more cost inefficient - but in this discussion, the modern terrain still wins. IMO, of course. 

Now, I've amassed a huge collection of terrain (ranging from home made pieces, GW pieces and pieces from other manufacturers) and I've painted most of it, which, to be honest, has meant investing a lot of time and effort that my armies could have benefitted from. But I don't believe that is - or has ever been - the norm. This is anecdotal of course, but I seem to be much more interested and invested in the terrain side of things than anybody I've ever played with.

On a similar note - What I've found (in a number of games), is that my drive for terrain starts once I have a painted army, Decent painted terrain just makes those painted armies pop and the whole game so much more immersive and fun and to be honest a fair few of my painted terrain pieces have seen more games than any individual mini - my armies have more 'swaps' than my table.

Agreed, I treat terrain like a third army that plays in every game I host, unlike the faction armies which rotate in and out very frequently. As such I make sure I have enough painted terrain for whatever theme I'm building on the board. I'm not a fan of playing with unpainted terrain any more than I am of playing with unpainted armies.

What got me back into the hobby this time was terrain. At the time, it was the other game, and as AOS scenery isn't my thing I had to scratch build everything myself. Now I've got my necromunda and 40bstuff back in the go, I'll be mixing scratch with kit. The reason 40k tables can feel soulless is because everyone has the terrain now, it's exceptionally good looking and fairly reasonable insofar anything in this hobby is, so now all the tables look the same. Ie. Not :cussing :cuss