The Successors- Anthology

I haven't seen a thread here for the Successors. Its been out a while.

So far I've read the ADB stories which are very well written, but if you haven't read the Spear of the Emperor there's nothing there for you. The Graham McNeill story didn't blow me aware. I've started reading the flesh tearers story which seems pretty poor but I'll reserve judgment till I finish it.

There are also stories by Guy Haley who I rate pretty highly and Peter Fehevari who people here love. I haven't read them yet.

Have people read this book yet? Which stories were your favourite?

There’s been some previous discussion in the miscellaneous reviews thread if you’re interested, grailkeeper.

I finished it a few hours ago and I don’t think I’m being too harsh when I say it’s one of the more disappointing anthologies in recent memory. It’s got a number of established authors involved, as well as some newer ones, and I was expecting the usual mix of brilliance and misfires that characterize Space Marine fiction.

While Fehervari, ADB, and Haley all tell enjoyable stories (it’s not like they suddenly forgot how to write) I didn’t feel like any of them put in their best work. The rest of the short stories range from decent to absolutely atrocious. Overall there’s far too much combat and bland characters saying blander things in between bolter shots and chainsword growls. Here’s my thoughts on a few:

Fehervari’s The Sins of My Brothers is probably the standout of the book, being a relatively important entry in his exploration of the Angels Resplendent/Penitent. It just didn’t blow me away the way his work usually does. It felt like familiar ground when I wanted new territory.

ADB’s two stories The first Primaris and Son of the Storm World are his usual wonderful prose, but both have been published elsewhere and neither feel essential to his Emperor’s Spears work.

Chris Forrester and Callum Davis are both new to BL fiction beyond a few short stories. I’d like to think they’ll contribute interesting things in the future, but this was not a great introduction. Forrester’s stories especially felt like the kind of writing you’d have seen from a BL anthology 15 years ago, and not in a good way.

When I first heard of this anthology I was hopeful - always a dangerous thing where GW/BL is concerned.  Anything that shone a spotlight on the lesser Chapters is always a good thing in my mind.  Even a dud story can provide useful lore.

It was obvious from early on that there was a twin theme at play here; how the Primaris were fitting into their new homes and how the Chapters in general felt about them.  This wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t hammered on in every story - not bad in itself as it’s the theme after all - but with so little variation on the theme as to be painful imho.

The McNeill story was the biggest disappointment for me.  I usually don’t mind his stuff, but this felt like something he bashed out over his lunch break at his current job.

The usual heavy hitters (Fehervari, ADB & Haley) told okay stories.  Even average Fehervari is better than the best from some.  It was good to see what the Wolfspears were up to and how Bjarni was dealing with his disappointment.

i was pleasantly surprised with Guymers’ Consecrators, Davis’ Iron Lords and Alberts’ Carcharadons tales and thought there was some merit in Forresters’ Mortifactors as well.  The rest weren’t that great imho, reading like extended WD or codex puff pieces.  I was most disappointed with the new Soul Drinkers story by Ben Counter, who seems intent on repeating the fate of the original Chapter on their Primaris namesakes for ‘reasons’ that made little sense to me.

tldr: Uneven anthology but wouldn’t mind seeing another similar if they get the themes more varied.

I picked the book for the Dark Coil, not gonna lie, but I was plesantly surprised by the Consecrators story.

They are such a fascinating Chapter, and to see them explored like this is a joy.

The Consecrators story had the potential to be good, but the story suffered from the same "Primaris Are Better" themes prevalent throughout the anthology.

Main character wondering if HE was the relic who deserved to be replaced with a Primaris Marine. Primaris armor is better, Primaris runs up stairs very good, and so on. The heavy-handed, in-your-face symbolism of the ending.

If that had been taken out and replaced with more story of Consecrators exploring an ancient battleship, it may indeed have ended up being a worthwhile story.

As it was, however, it was a letdown. That one bugged me even more as a Dark Angels/Unforgiven fan.

Edited by phandaal

GeeDubs are fools if they fail to realize that SomB was the seller of "The Successors".

If only Black Library would give us a Dark Coil anthology with all those short stories.

That's why the rest of the book is padded out with C-listers (excepting the prolific Guy Haley) and has had pretty bad reviews.

Sorry to be a pain, but again for this thread, what justification do you have for such a statement?

(transferred from the Dark Coil thread):

this is my personal take, based on my perception of their selling power (Callum Davis, Chris Forrester, Gary Kloster) or my enjoyment (or lack thereof) of their previous works (Graham McNeill, Ben Counter, Eduardo Albert).

I will buy this in paperback for the ADB and Fehervari stories, and this imo is what BL intended.

This collection has received mixed-to-bad reviews from the non-ADB and Fehervari stories. Even Track of Words was negative, and it takes a lot for him not to be positive about something.

Edited by byrd9999