Warhammer Crime - Season Two

theSpirea

Finally we're getting some info about new Crime books:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/03/30/warhammer-crime-a-new-season-of-dark-thrillers-begins/

Baggit and Clodde are back in The Wraithbone Phoenix by Alec Worley. If you haven't listed to Dredge Runners audio drama, go and get it right now!

ilwRCrAHebTRTmIy.jpg

And The Vorbis Conspiracy - anthology about the city’s Enforcers trying to deal with the aftermath of the fiery destruction that has consumed the district of Korsk.

Edited by theSpirea

I'm glad Baggit and Clodde are finally returning. I was pissed that they never released a follow-up audio drama when it was clearly marketed as a series starter.

Disappointed they're not announcing two novels like they did in season one - a second Noctis & Lux would be a high priority read! - but I'm happy to see the two weirdos returning alongside the obvious anthology.

That escapade will be quickly followed by The Vorbis Conspiracy. This anthology sees the city’s Enforcers trying to deal with the aftermath of the fiery destruction that has consumed the district of Korsk. While this disaster means death and devastation for many, it also provides countless opportunities for the criminals of Varangantua – and perhaps bodies won’t be the only things found buried in the rubble…

Seems very much like a themed anthology this time, rather than just a random selection of shorts. I can't recall if we've heard about Korsk already, off the top of my head, but having a big event and its fallout as the focus of an anthology seems great for this sort of thing.

I’d be surprised if BL was holding another Crime novel back, but it’s not impossible. Though both Wraight and Haley have indicated that they want to return to Crime on Twitter (writing it, that is) I get the sense it might be a while. Not sure whether that’s a matter of them having many pots on the boil or BL keeping Crime to a few books a year.

I’d be surprised if BL was holding another Crime novel back, but it’s not impossible. Though both Wraight and Haley have indicated that they want to return to Crime on Twitter (writing it, that is) I get the sense it might be a while. Not sure whether that’s a matter of them having many pots on the boil or BL keeping Crime to a few books a year.

Sales figures would be interesting. I suspect the Dawn of Fire series matters more to BL than WH Crime so Haley has to prioritise that.

Wraight’s SoT is done and dusted and he hinted that the next Vaults of Terra book was completed a bit back. I assumed his next was Crime as he also said Watchers of the Throne 3 was a way off yet but perhaps he has another project first. I want all of those of course!

Edit - love the covers of these Crime novels. This newest one looks to me as though they are in some kind of starship graveyard. I can see a Marine strike cruiser top left and the armoured prow or a Destroyer (?) centre background!

Edited by DukeLeto69

Great that the Crime imprint is continuing.  I also thought it was gone for some reason.  Not so great that it will only be two books this ‘season’ as they term it as I’m enjoying the crime books BL celebration week and the Christmas ones.  Even the Inferno! anthology series seems to have died a death.

Whatever Wraight and Haley are working on I hope it isn’t too long before they return to the scene of the crime (so to speak) :rolleyes:

If any BL authors are reading this thread and want some real life inspiration, I'm a professional Criminal Defence barrister. Send me a DM!

"A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time!"

Man, I'd hope there's actually very little overlap between 40k's criminal prosecution system and your experience. :huh.:

You'd be surprised...

Also Cross examination will still be the stay in 38 thousand years. Except if they have pyschics.

Also - any BL writers who doesnt want to get in touch but still wants advice on making criminal trials realistic- watch My Cousin Vinny.

That is indeed a fantastic movie - and one that every attorney I've ever seen says is the most realistic film representation of the American criminal trial system.

Edit: Regarding Warhammer Crime, I think that's a huge opportunity there for exploring Varangantua's criminal justice... apparatus, for lack of a better term. We've spent a lot of word and page count on detectives and gang fights and all the "forward-facing" elements.

It'd be really cool to see the "ex post facto" stuff - is there anything like a District Attorney responsible for prosecuting crimes? Are there public defenders? There's MUST be magnificently opulent barrister firms/guilds at the beck and call of the elite who finagle them out of all sorts of horrible stuff, right?

Or like... imagine professional Jury Savants who undergo some form of emotional lobotomy to excise them of emotion and sympathy and the only thing they do all day every day is to make decisions on presented evidence.

Court bailiffs are all servitors who were people convicted in that building?

Hmm... I guess by "cool" I mean "grotesquely horrible".

Edited by A Melancholic Sanguinity