Configuring Dark Reapers

Prot

Hey everyone,

I’m trying to wrap my head around these guys and while I know they won’t be a competitive choice I still like the models and want to use them.
Here’s the problem; no matter what role I think of them in, I can’t figure out what exarch power and weapon to use. So far I’ve had the squad assembled for a week except the Exarch sits on a sprue. 

I do imagine using them on the table for most games, no Falcon, but maybe a Serpent. On the table I see indirect as being nice and denying all cover. 

but for greatest flexibility, giving them +1 BS to allow move and shoot seems like the most flexible build? What do you think?

I have looked at magnetization but it’s not going to happen for me. The arms are just too spindly, amd it’s a small model. So I’m thinking of just the most flexible build. Any input would be appreciated!

I'm personally an AML fan for the Exarch, but I get that it's not a popular pick.  That takes me to the Reaper Launcher, which is probably the single best, most well-rounded option.  Either way, I think the move-and-shoot power is the best of the power options.  It allows you to be in cover or in an APC, move into range/LOS of a target, and let fly at full BS.  They can't Battle Focus back out of view, but they can Fire & Fade.

The Tempest Launcher lets you to stay out of LOS to fire at enemies, but then you're paying for four Reapers who just stand around scratch their asses.

I built mine with a Reaper Launcher. I think the Tempest Launcher is best in a vacuum but as said above it just doesn't synergize. Tbh they all feel like barely different versions of the same gun to me so I just keep it simple.

I like the move and shoot for sure. +1 shot on the exarch isn't bad if you plan on plopping them down and not moving them but since it's not always up to you I prefer the safe pick.

Edit: I do not play competitively so weigh my comments' value as you see fit

Edited by Nemesor Tyriks

The Tempest Launcher lets you to stay out of LOS to fire at enemies, but then you're paying for four Reapers who just stand around scratch their asses.

I completely agree. If you want indirect fire, the Night Spinner is the way to go I think.

Yeah agreed, I built my Exarch with the Tempest Launcher purely because it looks coolest, but I'll be running it as a standard Reaper Launcher in games because anything else makes the whole squad feel less effective, a bit like sticking a single Lascannon in a Multi-Melta devastator squad.

Yeah agreed, I built my Exarch with the Tempest Launcher purely because it looks coolest, but I'll be running it as a standard Reaper Launcher in games because anything else makes the whole squad feel less effective, a bit like sticking a single Lascannon in a Multi-Melta devastator squad.

Yes - this is wise. Because you're locked into a unit of 5, and they already cost as much or more than any comparable tank in their role, I'd likely take Reaper's Reach and try to Fire and Fade them around LOS-blockers.

There's a bit of 'in for a penny, in for a pound' mentality that suggests the tempest launcher's cost is sometimes warranted... 165 to 175 isn't massive for the blast version. Yet on the whole I think reapers got overcosted by up to 5 pts each. They are NOT each as good as a Dire Avenger and a Banshee combined. It's almost like they're costed to -3AP instead of -2? Heck, making them T4 like dragons would almost make sense at 30 points a pop.

But I digress - build tempest, but only actually take the upgrade if you've already got the good stuff on your other exarchs (other than Dragons) and still have points left.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

That's one way of looking at it, and you're right - however if you assume your reapers are all going to be in view of the enemy anyway, as they need to be with the reaper launchers, take the Tempest and just play as normal, it gives you a strong option against things in cover (imagine 15 gaunts behind a building) while the other reapers can stil target something else. If there's nothing in cover, you get 2d6 shots there instead of 2 S5 ones. It's a good weapon. 

I'd say either the +1 to move or +1 to wound are both great picks regardless of loadout. The +1 shot/ignores cover is pretty pants for +25pts. That should be +5. +10 max. 

I'd only take the EML if you dont have another in the army for the flakk shot stratagem, the reaper exarch is maybe the best platform for it? 

If I was building a unit, it would be tempest all the way, then either of the 2 above mentioned powers. Whether +1 to wound or moving is more valuable depends on local meta - lots of terrain? You need to move (though the tempest doesnt...).

I tried them last night against Death Guard. I started them in a shared Wave Serpent and gave them all just the default cannon, but honestly it was kind of 'meh'. I had one solid round of shooting against a Plague Burst crawler. The -2 is not great, but good enough that it tempts you to put the shots into something with a 5++ invuln anyway.... because anything marine-wise would get a 5++ anyway.

He  failed enough saves that it allowed me to focus down the tank with every other weapon (that could reach) in my army.

They then Battle Focused behind crates. This was great. And I soon realized crates are great for these guys. 

The rest of the game they did nothing though. Just the -1 damage from DG, plus the amount of high toughness... I was backed into a corner, tried taking down a mower blight drone with them, only causing 2 wounds, I knew I was in trouble, but it game from Blightlord terminators who put some vanilla bolters into them and the Reapers dropped like flies (a cloud of flies?)

The unit is another one that is feeling very over costed. I always use Eradicators with marines, and they hit a lot harder, and hang around a lot longer. Getting Battle focus to work was super hard, but I realized the crates are great for this unit. Reapers are strong enough target that people will go after them I think.... but as far as load out, I was happy with the choice.

You should have been firing the S8 missiles at DG -- they are D3 so DR doesn't prevent each shot from being a killshot.

And no, no Battle Focus but they can F&F.

Ah crap. These guys really do stink. And I cheated on top of it. (I would have fire/faded anyway since I never use that strat, but still..)

There was no marine to shoot. I lined up for a T1 shot at Blightlords. He hit me with Cloud of Flies, I couldn't shoot at the 10 man blightlord blob, was forced to take secondary targets.  Most DG players don't take a lot of marines, if they do, they baby sit out of LOS and are extremely hard to shift that way. Lots of Poxwalkers though and Blightlords/Reapers. Super hard army to shift.

Edited by Prot

My Reapers did work for me today against Sisters. They very reliably finished off stuff my War Walkers wounded, but they definitely are overpriced. I like the models so I'm not too upset about them (for now anyway) but they made Wrath of Khaine pretty reliable.

Yea so far I’ve played Custodes twice and Deathguard once with my Eldar and Reapers on my last 3 games. 

pretty nasty match ups. I think the reapers, guardians, banshees etc getting wounded on 2+ by bolters just make that match up , and using reapers feel much worse. I couldn’t believe how incredibly fast my stuff was disappearing. 

But other than that, yea the models are quite nice. 

Edited by Prot

• 2 weeks later...
I think Reapers are decent. They can churn out a decent number of Marine-killing shots or switch up to S8 for threatening tanks or 3W infantry. They are just a bit overpriced for what they bring IMHO. Edited by Karhedron

With the Armor of Contempt change, you really need to run Altansar if you want Reapers to be actually good against Marines due to the extra AP from Withering Volleys.

I was just going to post this.

Reapers are in a weird spot. GW has this way of making things over pay for past sins. I think that's where these guys sit right now. Why they pay for  an ability they had, plus the lack of Battle Focus are things I'd want to see changed instead of just a point tweak. Nevertheless, with Armour of Contempt, it just got a little bit harder to justify these guys.

Melta is just such a good weapon, and it's a type that is a rarity in Aeldari, so I think for this role, the Fire Dragons are just going to win out every time. Not to mention the ability to auto-wound and Battle Focus.

I'm currently using mine because I just painted them for our forum event, but otherwise, I don't think I would take them as they stand.

My one concern about leaning too heavily on Dragons, especially in comparison to Reapers, is the range differential.  Dragons have to be awfully close to the enemy to open fire, where they're vulnerable to rapid fire weapons and charges.  Reapers at least have 48" of range to play with, so even though their comparative capability has dropped in comparison, I'd say they're still more survivable than Dragons.

Edit: Also, the IDF changes has kind of hurt the Tempest Launcher's capabilities too.  Firing at a Marine unit out of LOS now negates 2 points of AP...

Edited by Iron Father Ferrum

Yea the range requirement is the negative with Dragons, however (and maybe this is just in my area) we have enough terrain that having a sit/back shoot kind of squad has different challenges. I just love the Falcon w/Dragons, or even a Serpent. I went from using my Reapers on foot, to using them with a serpent. 

Often they get out, shoot, and (now) fire and fade behind a wall or crate. That's honestly not an efficient use of their range mechanic, however it has kept them alive a touch longer.

With the Armor of Contempt change, you really need to run Altansar if you want Reapers to be actually good against Marines due to the extra AP from Withering Volleys.

I was just going to post this.

Reapers are in a weird spot. GW has this way of making things over pay for past sins. I think that's where these guys sit right now. Why they pay for  an ability they had, plus the lack of Battle Focus are things I'd want to see changed instead of just a point tweak. Nevertheless, with Armour of Contempt, it just got a little bit harder to justify these guys.

Melta is just such a good weapon, and it's a type that is a rarity in Aeldari, so I think for this role, the Fire Dragons are just going to win out every time. Not to mention the ability to auto-wound and Battle Focus.

I'm currently using mine because I just painted them for our forum event, but otherwise, I don't think I would take them as they stand.

Fusions, Banshee blades, D-weapons, Ghost axes and mortal wounds. Before the AOC changes I would of said star cannons are rubbish and never bother with them, now however they look much more attractive.

AOC does hurt but there are still tools to deal with it in the army at least. 

I guess we can say that the days of GW giving brand new units great rules to try and sell them are over? A lot of new models released for 9th ed has been pre-ttty bad. 

Anyway, good and bad to see reapers underperform...however I guess they've been overperforming since at least 3rd ed? 

I might try some in game today. The move/fire without penalty might be a great option on terrain heavy boards, I think reaper launcher on the Exarch. 

I guess we can say that the days of GW giving brand new units great rules to try and sell them are over? 

I'd argue this has never been particularly true; the community likes to meme things into accepted truth but to be honest the power level of new releases is just as scattergun as everything else. For every "auto-include" like Eradicators there's also a "DoA" like Gladiators in the same release wave.