Initial 1st April 2022 reveal, new lore & articles discussion

Joe

Cannot decide to build an army any harder than I already have, but lore dumps are very welcome. This stuff looks great so far.

I am not a huge fan of the cores and in particular them having STCs. It creates a scenario where the Votann cannot fail at almost any noteworthy points.

According to the article, the Votann are half asleep, half senile, and the STCs and other useful info are buried in 10,000+ years of other data.

Less "Deus ex machina" and more "Cranky Kong ex machina."

This might also explain why squats that live within the wider Imperium look so different to those living amongst the Leagues.

It might be a cover.

Walking around in hi-tech gear might be too much of a giveaway that they have access to STCs, and maybe they dress down so as not to draw attention.

Maybe the Leagues use the fact the Imperium thinks they're all dead to their advantage, and only roll out their hi-tech stuff when they think noone will notice, or survive to tell the tale.

I'm also very suspicious of the possibility that they could totally break the Admech by just... being obviously better than them in every way, but I think they're doing a decent job of threading that needle so far.

In any case, any description of a shiny new faction is obviously going to put work into hyping them up. We may need to endure a bit of that before the big cracks show. 

Cannot decide to build an army any harder than I already have, but lore dumps are very welcome. This stuff looks great so far.

I am not a huge fan of the cores and in particular them having STCs. It creates a scenario where the Votann cannot fail at almost any noteworthy points.

According to the article, the Votann are half asleep, half senile, and the STCs and other useful info are buried in 10,000+ years of other data.

Less "Deus ex machina" and more "Cranky Kong ex machina."

"Oh wise Votann! Render onto me the wisdom of the ages! How might I build a Dark Age T4A Battle Cruiser?"

Grandpa Votann: "Ah yes, the T4A first made in 14,295. A terrible year, inflation was awful and the warp currents were terrible. You young'ens have no sense of value these days. Back in then we didnt have no fancy navigators or nothing, just good'ol luck and will power-"

"Oh no, it's faulting again, last time this went on for decades... tell my mate that I love her..."

I'm also very suspicious of the possibility that they could totally break the Admech by just... being obviously better than them in every way, but I think they're doing a decent job of threading that needle so far.

In any case, any description of a shiny new faction is obviously going to put work into hyping them up. We may need to endure a bit of that before the big cracks show. 

would it not be lovely if they were essentially old school 30k mechanicum in every way to separate them quite viscerally from 40k AdMech.

I think that would be very cool, totally different flavours, and lets face it, fires of cyraxus was pretty much written so it's not like the dataslates for the automata can't be re-jiggered.

Edited by Angry Banana

Well... no, because I don't much like the idea of having a hugely important aspect of a faction carved out with a knife and handed to another faction. The squats should have their own identity, they shouldn't just steal a slightly different flavor of Mars. 

Edited by Shinespider

Well... no, because I don't much like the idea of having a hugely important aspect of a faction carved out with a knife and handed to another faction. The squats should have their own identity, they shouldn't just steal a slightly different flavor of Mars. 

From a meta-perspective, you are right.

From the perspective of the lore, Kelbor Hal was a hack and the only thing he and the Martians of 30k invented was appropriation. Almost every single 30k unit was invented by a more respectable forgeworld.

Anything Mars ever contributed to the cult of worth from the seeding on the forgeworld onwards begins and ends at Belissarius Cawl, the rest is just innovations in exploitation that make Terra look leniants.

(I am being somewhat unfair, but its hard not to read the BB entries for any given Forgeworld and not take the view that the Martians themselves are little better than parasites and that both sides of the schism come off as somewhat rich given their rather shallow efforts. I'm probably the only one annoyed by this but I kinda just want to point out that the Red Planet is a trashbin filled with trash people even by 30k standards, #JusticeForPhaeton)

This might also explain why squats that live within the wider Imperium look so different to those living amongst the Leagues.

It might be a cover.

Walking around in hi-tech gear might be too much of a giveaway that they have access to STCs, and maybe they dress down so as not to draw attention.

Maybe the Leagues use the fact the Imperium thinks they're all dead to their advantage, and only roll out their hi-tech stuff when they think noone will notice, or survive to tell the tale.

The galaxy is a big place. Some humans in the Imperium live in high-tech Ultramar, others are actual cavemen hunting dinosaurs. Squats should be no different.

I cant wait to tell my Living Ancestor mini that he has technically been replaced my a fancy calculator. :lol:

42.gif

GW has been lax recently in using STC as a catch all term. When they were more diligent, they used 'STC fragment', 'STC', and 'complete STC'. The first two can got a bit fuzzy. Regardless, the general idea was:

• STC fragment - A blueprint or part of a blueprint  produced by an STC or a broken STC. A design to produce a particular product from particular materials.
  • STC - A partially functioning/broken STC or a product-limited STC. Able to produce the designs for a particular product/task given a variety of starting materials.
  • Complete STC - The "holy grail," can produce designs for any given product/task given any starting material.

Reading the context, the Kin have many STCs the same way Van Saar have an STC. No complete STCs, but complete designs for specific items.

I understand the motivation, but please keep detailed discussion of the Adeptus Mechanicus confined to the appropriate subforum and stay on topic.

Also, I can’t wait to see their helmets in more detail. I feel like they are going to be pretty damn cool.

"oh no, the Votann is upset and losing focus, quick sing the song of our people"

"Brothers of the mine rejoice!"

-ahem- too easy, but still far too fun!

Serious firepower to have that sort of tech backing them and good to see another faction enter the fray that has that level of power that isn't mechanicus.

I’m guessing that they have previously operated low-key in the galaxy to try and ensure that their tech level isn’t noticed, but given their desperation to recover the Votann, they are starting to take a more active role and getting more of their gear out and noticed in the open, and they figure their firepower will be enough to keep it out of everyone else’s hands?

I’m very interested to see how they will play differently from Tau - I could see the Leagues sharing some of the supporting fire type rules that Tau had/have, but having very different technology - maybe they use more las- and volkite weaponry, or even a different form of energy weapons.

Guest Triszin
I wonder if, the "kin" (totally not ai, totally not men of iron we swear) will be pseudo chaplains. Who if they calculate correctly, generate a bonus

I wonder if, the "kin" (totally not ai, totally not men of iron we swear) will be pseudo chaplains. Who if they calculate correctly, generate a bonus

And you roll a d6 to determine how many turns it takes to get an answer! :D

So that main Kin guy in the artwork really looks just like more ornate power armour like a techmarine and even in the background there's dudes wearing what looks exactly like terminator armour

Please don't tell me they'll be another power armour faction

"Kin" isn't a subgroup or a job, it's the name that they use for themselves. "Squats" is an exonym, a name applied by outsiders. "Kin" is the Endonym, the name Squats use for themselves.

Thank you! Got in an argument with my gaming buddies over this. Just like Eldar, Aeldari, Asuryani, Drukhari. People call them Squats. The call each other Kin.

So that main Kin guy in the artwork really looks just like more ornate power armour like a techmarine and even in the background there's dudes wearing what looks exactly like terminator armour

Please don't tell me they'll be another power armour faction

They’re Space Dwarves, they’re gonna have armor.

Ok, in my excitement I didn’t explain myself very well.

I’d like the league to be a heavy faction if that makes sense.

I can see them with the assault drill

Transporters and men or iron and automatons that are solid and imposing, im thinking thanatar level imposing and just as cool looking.

I don’t see them as a big number of boots wafty flighty delicate army, but I see them with near deathguard hard as nails toughness and resilience. Thats how I saw the mechanicum.

However the league has advanced enlightened reasoning and solidity on its side free from rituals and doctrines where you spend an hour chanting just to flick the on switch.

I suppose I’d like them to be quite elite rather than swarming chaff and distraction units.