Initial 1st April 2022 reveal, new lore & articles discussion

Joe

It is a little peculiar to see me being very enthused and optimistic about the game and to see others so negative. If you don't like Squats, that's fine and your choice to dislike them or not to play them. For myself and others that have waited for DECADES to play them again this is amazing news. I cannot wait to play them again. 

I don’t think GW shirks away from double dipping, it would actually incentivize sales. Thousand Sons and AoS Tzeentch share a few units, the entire Chaos Daemon range can go both ways, GSC and Chaos Cults can be played in Necromudna, etc.

Who knows, GW is incredibly inconsistent with things sometimes. TS are padded with goats and AoS filler, meanwhile Slaangors remain quarantined, guess no EC codex means no goats even if the codex is 4 or whatever years away.

I find hard for me to understand how really people are interested in Squats, esp since I am not playing anymore.

It is a well loved army/race that many people want back? It is a pseudo-meme that internet amped up and only few people are interested?

I don't know. 

I think more choices is good and for my projects (maybe a diorama with nids) they are interesting. 

New models are always cool.

I find hard for me to understand how really people are interested in Squats, esp since I am not playing anymore.

It is a well loved army/race that many people want back? It is a pseudo-meme that internet amped up and only few people are interested?

I don't know.

I think more choices is good and for my projects (maybe a diorama with nids) they are interesting.

My personal interest in them comes from playing epic (discontinued 6mm 40K game) where they were unique enough to be one of the original 6 core races in the second edition of the game. Their background was decent IMO and while there was some overlap with imperial guard they were unique enough to be interesting. I think one of the appeals is, like with arbites, exodites and the like, they are an established part of the lore and people would like to see them make a return. Having armies like knights, custodes and genecults be represented again in the game / model range has been fantastic and long May it continue.

Never played the game. 

Never collected and/ or painted models except for one free to test exception in my local store.

I'm not even that long in the hobby to remember the old Squats.

Why am I hyped then?

I fething love Dwarves. And I love it when GW expands the range of 40k and AoS. Think they did very well with the latter throughout its release and I'm digging that they're doing it in 40K, as well. 

Imperial Knights and now Squats? Count me in. What might be next? But first of all: "Get me an ale, lad. 'tis time to blast some butts."

Totally fine if someone doesn't "like" them. To each their own I'd say. ;)

I’ve never really liked Dwarves all that much personally, but I really like the Kharadrons in AoS, and I’ve always been curious how they’d do Sqauts these days. I actually rather like the result and I’m looking forward to seeing more of the range.

Oh, I'm not calling them this new name. They can be Leagues of Voltron or Squats.

It’s not really a “New” name though leagues existed before and they were pretty much all named for Norse mythology “Thor” and the like, Wotan/Votan means “Odin” so it’s just another league named for a Norse god

As I’m guessing their old lore of being eaten by the Tyranids still stands this league is either the only one left or at least the most influential of the survivors

Oh, I'm not calling them this new name. They can be Leagues of Voltron or Squats.

It’s not really a “New” name though leagues existed before and they were pretty much all named for Norse mythology “Thor” and the like, Wotan/Votan means “Odin” so it’s just another league named for a Norse god

As I’m guessing their old lore of being eaten by the Tyranids still stands this league is either the only one left or at least the most influential of the survivors

Begs the question - if this release is successful will more leagues be opened up for different play styles a la elder craftworlds, tau septs etc…?

I hope so!

Are the squats big on bionic feet? I only got involved with 40k lore a decade and a half ago, by that time they were already gone.

They are not big on bionic feet. Could just be that one model. The art of the squat on WarCom's article has normal feet/ankles.

Begs the question - if this release is successful will more leagues be opened up for different play styles a la elder craftworlds, tau septs etc…?

I hope so!

Leagues plural implies that there will be some kind of Sub-Faction shenanigans going on in there.

Maybe the "nice" Leagues are the Leagues of Votan but there will be other Leagues hinted at which are less friendly, totally not Chaos Squats though.

Rik

I hope so!

Leagues plural implies that there will be some kind of Sub-Faction shenanigans going on in there.

Maybe the "nice" Leagues are the Leagues of Votan but there will be other Leagues hinted at which are less friendly, totally not Chaos Squats though.

Rik

There'll definitely be sub-factions alright, everything has them. 

The sub-faction keyword could be <league> with Votann just referring to the area of space they're from (so technically all the sub factions would be "leagues of votann") 

Though I am just taking a stab in the dark so who knows really? 

I don't know.

Honestly it's tough to answer your question cause most of us can only draw conclusions from our playgroups. They haven't really released the data they get from the surveys. We also don't know how well armies do I think KO from AoS are popular but again that has to do from playgroups bias.

That said I like the new model, so maybe I will start them.

Any idea where the "Lore" about them being eaten comes from?  I've tried to find an official source for this and have came up short.  I'm pretty sure it was just an offhand comment by Jervis or someone.

Any idea where the "Lore" about them being eaten comes from?  I've tried to find an official source for this and have came up short.  I'm pretty sure it was just an offhand comment by Jervis or someone.

It was a throwaway blurb in some random rulebook I think. Gonna be hard to find it transcribed anywhere online.

What is interesting is Jervis said Squats actually did sell well. He and the rest of the team just did not think they had a good enough Sci-fi Dwarf archetype and were not enthusiastic enough about Squats to come up with a better version.

It was a throwaway blurb in some random rulebook I think. Gonna be hard to find it transcribed anywhere online.

What is interesting is Jervis said Squats actually did sell well. He and the rest of the team just did not think they had a good enough Sci-fi Dwarf archetype and were not enthusiastic enough about Squats to come up with a better version.

It was in the old Ian Watson Inquisitor trilogy. Basically it said there was no record of an Inquisitor Jaq Draco in the records, and nothing about a Squat called Grimm followed by an offhand comment about the homeworlds being invaded by the Nids. Ill try and find the actual quote if I can.

Leagues were the individual factions, much like Chapters. So it's like Chapters of Votun. That is a name change in much the same way Space Marines changing to Chapters of Terra is a name change.

It's fairly obvious GW is moving away from the name Squats, as they pointed out the nasty, ignorant Underhivers of Necromunda call them Squats.

Leagues were the individual factions, much like Chapters. So it's like Chapters of Votun. That is a name change in much the same way Space Marines changing to Chapters of Terra is a name change.

It's fairly obvious GW is moving away from the name Squats, as they pointed out the nasty, ignorant Underhivers of Necromunda call them Squats.

I am fine with that tbh. I never liked the name. It is clearly meant as an insult. I don't know why they didn't go with some version of "Elves to "eldar". Dawi or Duardin sounding would be better. League of Votann and Kin are fine though. 

I read that Squats used to have regiments just like Imperial Guard so probably will see different regiment equivalents of Votann. At least I hope so. 

I am positive there will be some kind of Chapters/Kabal/Legion etc regiments to give them slightly different flavor and play styles.

Found on reddit. Old squats likely will look way out of place.

Screenshot-20220402-122915-Reddit.jpg

I shall call them "stout's".

I do wonder what there stats will be.

If I had to guess purely by looking at only that model and comparing to similarly armored/sized troops:

movement 5" S3 T4, W1 4+ save

Basically an 8th edition space marine scout with a pip less strength.  I'm guessing T4 because, well, dwarves are "tough" and to differentiate from other xenos/humans.

I do wonder if they'll even be the type of army that takes many troops, though.  If they do anything like KO, they'll be vehicle heavy, or maybe if they are integrating Men of Iron as rumors may suggest, they act a bit like the cybernetica datasmiths with Kastelan robots and lead armies of Men of Iron.  Really TBH I just want lots of cool vehicles and mechs and robots because those are all my jams, and sadly Tau playstyle fails for me.  It's why I like KO: lots of cool steampunk ships and balloon boys and not a lot of basic infantry.  Give me a future version of that with mechs or men of iron and I'm down.

Lots and lots of cool design space to be explored.

I am fine with that tbh. I never liked the name. It is clearly meant as an insult. I don't know why they didn't go with some version of "Elves to "eldar". Dawi or Duardin sounding would be better. League of Votann and Kin are fine though.

No one ever used Squats as an insult in all the world for that race. In fact, they were affectionately championed by the community, so much infact there's a meme about them...

No one ever used Squats as an insult in all the world for that race. In fact, they were affectionately championed by the community, so much infact there's a meme about them...
I'm pretty sure Idaho meant in universe it's an insult. Like if the Eldar book was called Codex: Knife Ears

Yeah to be clear; in-universe it's now an insult according to a single article that acts as the main communication from GW on the subject, but it was never used or intended as such previously, particularly by the 40K community. I suspect GW are worried about public image and trying to preemptively counter any potential criticism, though I believe that is unnecessary.

Actually, didn't the Orks have an insult for Squats in their language? It was Stunties I believe, though I could be remembering Fantasy at this point? (I'm not even 40 and my brain is leaking...)

I find the race name Leagues of Voltron ( ;) ) to be too specific for an overarching race. It might not be, of course.

We shall see.

It's ultimately a minor quibble. Folk will still call them Squats just like many folk still call Drukhari "Dark Eldar" and Astra Millitarum "Imperial Guard".

Edited by Captain Idaho