Initial 1st April 2022 reveal, new lore & articles discussion

Joe

2 hours ago, TheVoidDragon said:

Completely unrelated to that, but does anyone think that field/patrol caps, boonie hats etc could fit on the Leagues? That was one of the things I quite liked about the old models that give them a rugged, hardy feel but I'm not too sure if they'd look out of place on the Hearthkin or not. Goggles and shades seem to fit, at least.

Size wise I unfortunately don't think this would work. Age of Sigmar I tried out putting an Ironbreaker (similar size to old squats) head on a Kharadron (seems comparable size to new squats) body and it looked way too small.

28 minutes ago, SpaceDwalin said:

Size wise I unfortunately don't think this would work. Age of Sigmar I tried out putting an Ironbreaker (similar size to old squats) head on a Kharadron (seems comparable size to new squats) body and it looked way too small.

I meant so more in terms of general idea to sculpt on them, whether they're something that might look out of place with the overall aesthetic. I can't even think of any other miniatures that do have hats like that.

55 minutes ago, TheVoidDragon said:

I meant so more in terms of general idea to sculpt on them, whether they're something that might look out of place with the overall aesthetic. I can't even think of any other miniatures that do have hats like that.

I reckon you could sculpt some on and they'd look good, put some plasti-card above the brow as a base and green stuff from there, some might be a bit hard to work on as the sculpts of the Hearthkyn are a bit close to armour etc around the head area (although some of the new ork kommando's have their hats only sculpted to the front i.e. at the back it just fades to a round shape of the skull)

Would like to see someone's take on some caps... 

I might sculpt some mohawks and winged helms...

Mithril 

Mentioned in the Warhammer Community sunday preview: "Next week on the Warhammer Community site is as packed as ever, with your first ever look at a Leagues of Votann vehicle"

Finally going to see the Leagues vehicles, I hope they aren't all anti-grav though. Feels a little overdone at this point. Tracks, wheels and legs would better I think, something like an Anti-grav Land-Train just wouldn't be as cool.

Edited by TheVoidDragon

I kind of hope for something like a big Sand Crawler- with real weight to it. Something Chunky...Thats assuming it is the Hekaton Land Fortress - would be cool to see something else as the Fortress is the only vehicle we have heard of. That said I wonder if thats how they might differentiate the Leagues from other factions- fewer, larger vehicles like the squats had in epic and not the mix of light and medium tanks. Can't wait to see what they reveal .

Edited by silverstu

2 hours ago, silverstu said:

I kind of hope for something like a big Sand Crawler- with real weight to it. Something Chunky...Thats assuming it is the Hekaton Land Fortress - would be cool to see something else as the Fortress is the only vehicle we have heard of. That said I wonder if thats how they might differentiate the Leagues from other factions- fewer, larger vehicles like the squats had in epic and not the mix of light and medium tanks. Can't wait to see what they reveal .

Surely if the Kin have working STCs they should have access to all/most pre-existing Imp vehicles? I hope so 'cos back in the day my Squats had a Rhino and I'd love to recreate that.

1 hour ago, SpaceDwalin said:

Surely if the Kin have working STCs they should have access to all/most pre-existing Imp vehicles? I hope so 'cos back in the day my Squats had a Rhino and I'd love to recreate that.

The impression I get re-reading the articles isn't that they have a fully functioning STC database like the Van Saar do, but rather they have a database of fully functioning STC templates.

On 7/9/2022 at 11:46 AM, TheVoidDragon said:

I like the general idea of cyberslayers, but I can't really see them being unarmoured fitting in with the rest of the armys style.

I sort of hope that the classic Squat Gambeson shows up somewhere for the Leagues.

Maybe the beserkers/slayers could be less armored and wear the classic gambeson

=][= Some of the discussions in this [yuuuge] topic are worth splitting into their own topics so they can be discussed in their own right. Such discussions-within-discussions will gradually be split from this topic and moved over to the brand-spanking new Leagues of Votann Section, so if you think/see your posts are missing, check there! =][=

3 hours ago, Xenith said:

=][= Some of the discussions in this [yuuuge] topic are worth splitting into their own topics so they can be discussed in their own right. Such discussions-within-discussions will gradually be split from this topic and moved over to the brand-spanking new Leagues of Votann Section, so if you think/see your posts are missing, check there! =][=

I was going to ask "where are Leagues of Votann going to go on this forum" and they ended up as a XENOS thread? They're humans, aren't they?

Also:

8R6MPorCXzJblRhU-846x599.jpg

Anyone else see the pilot on the left and think "This is where the fun begins..."?

Edited by roryokane

11 hours ago, roryokane said:

I was going to ask "where are Leagues of Votann going to go on this forum" and they ended up as a XENOS thread? They're humans, aren't they?

Well, in my mind, the information we have so far says that they LoV are allies of the imperium of man, and are therefore not in the imperium of man.

The sections we have are IMPERIUM, XENOS, CHAOS, and as they're not IMPERIUM, and they're definitely not CHAOS...XENOS it is.

If GW decides to put them in the IMPERIUM section of their stores and website, then naturally we'll also adjust. 

Edited by Xenith

While I see the objection to including the (presumably) abhuman Kin alongside non-humans ,'xenos' means alien in the sense of 'stranger' or 'outsider', rather than 'extraterrestrial', so I think the forum fits nicely there. 

Glad to see the forum up and running; while not everything we've seen previewed has immediately hit the mark for me, I'm interested enough to want to explore further. I remember feeling much the same when the Necrons and Tau were released, and they're a key part of the galaxy, now.

• 2 weeks later...

"Who are the Guilds?"

The stalwart Kin who make up the Leagues of Votann are doughty, rugged survivalists – but the galaxy is a grim enough place that even they won’t go it alone. All Kin – save a few rare outcasts – belong to a Kindred, a social group somewhere between an extended family and an outright nation-state, its members all springing from the same genetic crucibles* to forge an unbreakable fellowship.

A Kindred might be a few dozen strong, or a few million, but they all live, train, and toil in the same shared Hold. Kin prefer not to waste words, so “Hold” is a malleable term – it could mean a fortified outpost, a live-in factory, or a warren of tunnels. Some Holds float in the void of space, cling to asteroids, or hover on the fringe of a black hole, while others may stretch out across the surface of an entire planet.

uwO1BmDshGuKUNs8.jpg

Most Kindreds have some means of defending themselves, and some are mighty battleforces in their own rights – but they tend to unite for protection under the banner of a League. These formal affiliations allow Kindreds to share the benefits of trade, military support, and so on. Leagues like the Ymyr Conglomerate are massive and ancient power blocs, but others have waned in power, or only risen to prominence in more recent times – such as the Seran-Tok Mercantile Leagues, who have profited greatly from trade with the T’au Empire.

But what of the Guilds? These groups exist outside the bounds of Kindred or League, uniting all who practice a particular trade within a given region of Kin space. Whether you make a living by salvaging broken void craft or concocting nutritious liquid rations, there’s a Guild for you – setting standards, providing accreditation, and demanding tithes. Guild membership is voluntary – but there’s no love lost between Guildkin and freelancers, who regard each other as disreputable and hidebound, respectively.

LDcb6tCcgif8mAUw.jpg

In theory, the Guilds are not political entities, but independent commercial groups, dedicated to ensuring fair competition – in practice, smaller Guilds rarely extend beyond a single Hold, and maintain key positions within their ruling bodies. Guildmasters typically sit on the Hearthspake – a Kindred’s governing council – as civilian representatives, alongside the military commanders of the Kinhosts and the Grimnyr.

Competition between Guilds can become heated, even drawing other species into the crossfire as jockeying Guildmasters sponsor Oathband expeditions to survey systems rich in resources. Anyone who happens to already inhabit these hotly-contested worlds are out of luck – existing civilisations and ecosystems are a much lower priority than beating rivals to the punch.

Despite their fractious natures, Guilds are invaluable to Kin society – their accumulated know-how and contacts are what smoothes trade and transit between disparate Kindreds, providing a web of organisation and support that runs throughout the Leagues. From star-mining and gravitic fracking to constructing the far-flung Holds that the Kin call home, every venture is marked by the high standards – and relentless competition – of the Guilds.

fpAGrOPqP7McYGDl.jpg

The Cthonian Mining Guilds are particularly powerful, embodying the belligerent acquisitiveness of the Kin. Fearless in the cause of locating, securing, and harvesting resources for their race, the Cthonians think nothing of braving environments so extreme that even other Kin would baulk at their hazards. You can expect to hear more about this particular Guild – and its much-modified members – soon enough.

Edited by Lord Marshal

Very interesting stuff. I'm really keen to see what kind of a relationship they have with the greater Imperium, and how their trade with the Tau (which has vastly bolstered the Tau's technology) has been allowed to continue unimpeded.

I'm hoping that BL's authors have been working on material involving the Votann.

So it's looking like their Grimdark will come from leaning into being an capitalistic dystopia slash East India Company... IN SPACE! Not unlike the Kharadrons.

Seems the theorising Cthonia was just a hollowed out, cavernous, empty rock by 30k because of the Leagues is close to coming fruition too.

Edited by Lord Marshal

On 7/19/2022 at 2:44 PM, roryokane said:

Where they end up will depend upon how GW categorizes them, which will be indicated by two things:

• GW's meta-categories/factions (Adeptus Astartes, Imperium, Chaos, Xenos)
  • Keywords (i.e., if they have the IMPERIUM keyword, they'll be moved to the Imperium category)

We know that they're neither Adeptus Astartes nor Chaos, so it comes down to the Imperium and Xenos. Realistically, moving the forum (if that becomes necessary) will take less than a minute. There are valid arguments for either option, so we're going to skip the subjectivity and just go with GW's basic answer (even if there is freedom for something more, such as sub-factions of the Leagues of Votann having different alignments).

13 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

Very interesting stuff. I'm really keen to see what kind of a relationship they have with the greater Imperium, and how their trade with the Tau (which has vastly bolstered the Tau's technology) has been allowed to continue unimpeded.

I'm hoping that BL's authors have been working on material involving the Votann.

well considering the little blurbs that hinted at this, the imperium didn't know the leagues still existed, so you can't stop two races from trading if you don't know that one even exists.