BattleScribe Dying?

Dracos

There are also legal issues - this is his company and indeed his IP (even if the data itself on the platform isnt) - so to hand it over would be to sell it, or employ someone - both of which are not as easy as one would imagine. But possibly even selling it (which would surely help the owner) is difficult due to what data is shared via it, or the viability of the business plan for a potential buyer?

It could be he could be sued for not updating it and thus violating his contacting obligations with his customers - but I don't have a clue how that works and it wouldn't be free either. 

I mean he could have had very legitimate reasons to stop working on it - there may even be legal reasons why he cannot (assets in a custody battle, etc). Whether it was a break for stress or whatever, it is really hard to come back to something, especially if you have emotional or other challenges associated with coming back.

Edited by Petitioner's City

Why can't he just open source it? Then those who have the skills and will to support it do it and this awersome software lives on.

That sounds like a question that only the developer/owner could answer - and it doesn’t seem like he’s intent on doing that.

Unfortunately even with a well liked tool, if the developer/owner decides to abandon it, there’s little anyone else can do to force them to continue/turn it over to someone else, unless there’s a legal intervention that allows that to happen - as Petitioner’s City said, even that would have a cost associated with it.

I wouldn't put it past the realms of possibility that if it stopped working, that might prompt a one off update to bring it back, if just to keep the passive income stream rolling in.

Why can't he just open source it? Then those who have the skills and will to support it do it and this awersome software lives on.

The counter to that is:

"Why WOULD he open source it? Then his recurring income stream would disappear"

He can push required updates out when needed for changes to operating systems, but failing that I'm not sure that there's really anything that NEEDS to be changed currently.

Rik

I posted a tweet at battlescribe earlier on today asking if he's still alive and if battlescribe is still supported. Literally within just a few hours I had a reply from rosterizer saying

"He's still alive, and no, Battlescribe is not still being looked after. He doesn't reply to the community anymore.

That's ok, though. We're getting close to releasing Rosterizer, which improves upon army building in a number of ways"

Which has me feeling awfully suspicious. Such a fast reply from a completely "different" person. I'm really hoping it's not the same developers raising a new app to replace it, and charging people all over again.

Except, isn't battlescribe free except for a yearly subscription, not like a perpetual license purchase? How would they charge you over again then? Even if you pivoted to that new support subscription, it's a lateral move.

Within a few hours would just involve somebody at Rosterizer checking the pings at battlescribe once or twice a day. There's even bots that will take tweets for example and post an aggregate link in something like discord or slack (we have one at work).

I posted a tweet at battlescribe earlier on today asking if he's still alive and if battlescribe is still supported. Literally within just a few hours I had a reply from rosterizer ...

Which has me feeling awfully suspicious. Such a fast reply from a completely "different" person. I'm really hoping it's not the same developers raising a new app to replace it, and charging people all over again.

No conspiracy here. :) We just monitor various social outlets for mentions of our competitor as part of our community outreach. No point in building a new utility if nobody knows about it, right?