What could the 10th editions starter set contents be?

jimbo1701

Squats vs Tyranids actually makes sence to me. Great time to introduce a new faction, and Tyranids are their suposidly killers so showing their ability to fend them off would be fairly thematic. Squats being a nostalgic meme faction might push their sales almost as good as SM, tho not sure if it will be new player friendly.

Very interesting question.

I think one of the factions will be Astartes, and the other would be Orks, Tyranids, or something new.

I could imagine a focus on some new Tyranid kits, perhaps in the fresh, new colours of a previoisly unseen Hive Fleet, and it could lead to a re-boxing and update of the default studio paint job they promote the Nids with. (I think the faction is under-served by the current studio paint-scheme, and they could look more menacing in colours similar to Scarcraft's Zerg, as an example.

Depending on timing, I could see it moving away from Astartes and have the Squats step up as the primary "good guys" in the box. Setting them up against Tyranids would be a nice little wink towards what was said to have happened to them after 2nd ed. It would have to be some time after the launch of the Squat faction as a whole, but a new edition box set would allow GW to expand the line.

I don't quite see that happening, as they didn't do it with Sisters of Battle in 9E

I can see it being a possibility, but most likely we will just get SM vs RANDOM XENOS as is normal. 

Well if we're wishlisting... Iron Hands Vs Emperor's Children :devil: Iron Hands could easily be the shoe-in for any supposed Primaris Terminators and new Dreadnought variants, and I personally can't wait for new noise marines and other slaaneshi gribblies

Though I'll admit an appearance of Dark Mech would be a nice shakeup too

What if the Leagues of Votann(sp?) are introduced in the starter set?

It's probably the best way to get the biggest number of people invested in the faction.

I don't think they'll be introduced there, as we know they're coming out this year and they always roll out editions around the same time. Since 30k 2E is launching this year, and Codex: Chaos Space Marines hasn't been released yet, then I don't think 10E coming out in 2022 (when the Leagues are coming out) is going to happen.

The OP's post was a good one and I wanted to break down a few more things on this. First I'll start off with what I think will happen, then what I would like to happen. 

Space Marines. I mean, they've been in every single starter set ever. I would like it to be a different Imperial faction, but that's pretty unlikely. As for the flavor of the Space Marines, while I do think that the Ultramarines are the most likely, I think it will be whatever one suits the current Narrative. I could see the Blood Angels fronting it if we go over to focus on the other side of the Galaxy, perhaps the battle of Baal? Could also be Dark Angels again if they are planning on brining Lion El' Johnson back in tenth edition. Nostalgia has been a big seller for them lately, perhaps Crimson Fists, though that would almost certainly be vs Orks and I think that's pretty unlikely. 

As for the other side of things, the most likely candidates are range refreshes or new ranges completely. So in loose order of most to least likely. 

World Eaters: From the rumblings, we'll get these guys before Emperor's Children and could easily be the next starter enemy. (Chaos were the starter for both 6th and 8th, so could be an every second edition pattern for them?)

Tyranids: They really need a refresh on their basic models and if the Blood Angels do cover the marines, it would be very fitting to pit them against the Tyranids of Hive Fleet Leviathan on Baal. 

Genestealer Cults: While their HQ and Elite slots are quote plentiful, the rest of their range is quite limited. I could see cults getting at the bare minimum one new Troop, Fast Attack, and Heavy Support choice to go with the new new edition. 

Chaos Deamons: We never really see these at the forefront, but while I don't think it's super likely, I could see it happening. 

Tau: There's not much to go with their current shtick and their range is quite new. However, if they lean more on the Auxilliary route, giving the Kroot a refresh and brining on more Vespid and/or other allies, it could work. Though it seems GW doesn't want to do that, they don't seem to think that would be all that popular from what I understand.

Orks/Eldar: Both seem unlikely, they just got large range refreshes. 

New Faction?: Maybe like Traitor Guard/Chaos Cults or something, but with the Leagues of Votan coming out soon and World Eaters VERY likely to be on the horizon, I really don't see another new faction popping up anytime soon. 

Now as for what I want, I'd like to see the Astra Militarum head the starter set. We haven't had the good old backbone of the Imperium ever feature in a starter set, but they would be great for it. Being able to acquire many infantry and tanks for them would make it sell like crazy, I think it would make me seriously consider buying multiples. While the range is pretty solid given just how old it is, it could really stand to be refreshed. 

For the opposition, I think putting them up against either the Tyranids or GSC would be a big hit. As mentioned above, they could use a refresh/range expansion respectively and would make a good tactical match up against the guard. Swarms of new Hormagaunts and Termagaunts, backed by Carnifexes or even a Tyrannofex vs guard Infantry and Tanks. For cults, it could be more mobiles forces against each other with Sentenils and Chimera's on the Guard side vs Atalan Jackels and some new Fast Attack unit(s). The extra benefit of this would be that people playing GSC could use the Guard components as Brood Brothers to avoid having to split it and getting a huge shot in the arm for their faction. 

So, TLDR:

I think: Blood Angels vs Tyranids during the Battle of Baal.

I wish: Guard vs Genestealer Cults. (Though vs Tyranids would be cool too.)

Edited by Tawnis

Blood Angels vs Tyranids has been a boxed set already. I could see this if they were finally ready to pop open jump pack assault marines for primaris, but otherwise no. That being said, BA do have a lot of firstborn characters still, so there's a good bit of room for new hq/elite models in a box. Maybe something like a new redemptor version (cc), assault jump primaris, jump librarian (primaris) vs World eaters or chaos (pushing the new kit, maybe with traitor guard instead of Cultists?). Bit of imperium nihlus going on...

Blood Angels vs Tyranids has been a boxed set already. I could see this if they were finally ready to pop open jump pack assault marines for primaris, but otherwise no. That being said, BA do have a lot of firstborn characters still, so there's a good bit of room for new hq/elite models in a box. Maybe something like a new redemptor version (cc), assault jump primaris, jump librarian (primaris) vs World eaters or chaos (pushing the new kit, maybe with traitor guard instead of Cultists?). Bit of imperium nihlus going on...

True, but that set was almost eight years ago at this point. I wasn't playing much at that time but IIRC it was a limited run wasn't it? They've also done boxed sets based on the same two factions before. Didn't SM vs Necrons get a (poorly received IIRC) old Foes set, and that was much more recent. 

Blood Angels vs Tyranids has been a boxed set already.

That particular box wasn't a starter set though - if we were going by the simple metric of "have these two forces faced off in a box before?" then that would rule out a massive amount of combos. BAs only featured in a single starter set, which was the first one:

• 2nd Edition - Space Marines (Blood Angels) vs Orks
  • 3rd Edition - Space Marines (Black Templars) vs Dark Eldar
  • 4th Edition - Space Marines (Ultramarines) vs Tyranids
  • 5th Edition - Space Marines (Ultramarines) vs Orks
  • 6th+7th Editions - Space Marines (Dark Angels) vs Chaos Space Marines
  • 8th Edition - Space Marines (Ultramarines) vs Death Guard
  • 9th Edition - Space Marines (Ultramarines) vs Necrons

Worth pointing out that with the single exception of Dark Vengeance (the 6th/7th Edition box), the Marine models have been generic and useable as any chapter, so really all the choice of chapter dictates is which paint scheme is featured on the box. Blood Angels have a strong thematic tie to Tyranids in the current lore which makes it seem more likely, but TBH GW will probably just continue with Ultramarines if only for consistency of marketing.

True, but that set was almost eight years ago at this point. I wasn't playing much at that time but IIRC it was a limited run wasn't it? 

Indeed - Deathstorm (which is what that BA vs Nids box was called) was basically what we think of now as a battlebox, like Eldritch Omens. It's a short-run box with a couple of opposing forces, usually used as a vehicle to release a few new models. There have been absolutely loads of these and almost every faction in 40k has featured at some point.

• 2022 Q1 - Eldritch Omens (Aeldari vs Chaos Space Marines)
  • 2021 Q4 - Shadow Throne (Adeptus Custodes vs Genestealer Cults)
  • 2021 Q3 - Hexfire (Grey Knights vs Thousand Sons)
  • 2021 Q1 - Piety and Pain (Adepta Sororitas vs Drukhari)
  • 2020 Q1 - Prophecy of the Wolf (Orks vs Space Wolves)
  • 2019 Q4 - Blood of the Phoenix (Aeldari vs Drukhari)
  • 2019 Q1 - Shadowspear (Chaos Space Marines vs Space Marines)
  • 2018 Q4 - Wake the Dead (Aeldari vs Space Marines)
  • 2018 Q4 - Wrath and Rapture (Khorne Daemons vs Slaanesh Daemons)
  • 2018 Q3 - Tooth and Claw (Genestealer Cults vs Space Wolves)
  • 2018 Q1 - Forgebane (Adeptus Mechanicus/Knights vs Necrons)
  • 2016 Q3 - Death Masque (Deathwatch vs Harlequins)
  • 2015 Q4 - Warzone Damocles* (Raven Guard vs T'au Empire)
  • 2014 Q4 - Deathstorm (Blood Angels vs Tyranids)
  • 2014 Q2 - Stormclaw (Space Wolves vs Orks)

*This was a bit different in that the opposing forces were released as separate boxes (Shadow Force Solaq and Infiltration Cadre Burning Dawn), but otherwise functioned exactly like a narrative battle box, complete with a Campaign mission book that was shared by both boxes.

Didn't SM vs Necrons get a (poorly received IIRC) old Foes set, and that was much more recent. 

"Old Foes" is just a largely pointless series of webstore bundles which offers you a couple of opposing forces for zero discount, so it's not really relevant.

It won't be Blood Angels vs World Eaters as they are both red, unless they do Death Company vs World Eaters, which would be too similar for a starter box.

World Eaters vs Guard would be a good one, as both need model refreshes and codexes, but, simply put, Space Marines will be one of the factions.

Eldar would allow a new range of Aspect sculpts (Dragons, Spiders, Scorpions all need plasticking), but they codex will only be ~ 15 months old

Dark Eldar would allow a snazzy new Court of the Archon unit and their codex will be nearer 2 years old.

Guard need a bit of a glow up, but wouldn't face off against space marines.

Daemons are basically fine model wise in terms of plastic, but could be included as the first 10th Codex if they don't get one this year.

Thousand Sons could really do with a cool psychic contemptor and more astartes units, but I doubt GW would put any psykers in their starting box, let alone an entire faction of them. 

Chaos are coming soon.

Finally, Orks, GSC, Necrons, Tau and Death Guard are the least in need of a range refresh

So, Emperor's Children or World Eaters would be pretty logical choices, as would the new Taustealer Leagues - 30 years after their last official rules were published would be a nice anniversary. 

It probably won't be anything other than loyalist marines vs X, sadly, because that guarantees sales to almost every hobbyist, whereas not including them will probably see a massive decrease in purchases of the starter compared to the last two? It's disappointing, but seems likely given the contents of starter boxes since 2nd. Dark Vengeance was an interesting one, for sure, but I wonder if the success of Dark Imperium and Indomitus cemented the much greater selling power of generic marines over a chapter-specific box?

Worth pointing out that with the single exception of Dark Vengeance (the 6th/7th Edition box), the Marine models have been generic and useable as any chapter, so really all the choice of chapter dictates is which paint scheme is featured on the box. Blood Angels have a strong thematic tie to Tyranids in the current lore which makes it seem more likely, but TBH GW will probably just continue with Ultramarines if only for consistency of marketing.

This is a good point. All the starter sets have been of the push fit variety lately, but perhaps they could be designed in a way that had on optional BA sprue of shoulder pads or something? Seems less likely when I think about it as starter sets have always been option light, but if it's not much extra work/plastic, I could still see it.