What factions are missing, from ages past?

Captain Idaho

They could even do the APC as a Chimera (clearly the Chimera STC is good enough to mass produce, why waste resources on developing a new vehicle when they can just strip it down and stick a water cannon on it to wash those damn space hippies) minus the hull mounted weapon and lasguns down the side. Just do a alternate weapon sprue for the APC and bung that in with the current Chimera. 

Traditionally, the Arbites use Rhino transports.

They could even do the APC as a Chimera (clearly the Chimera STC is good enough to mass produce, why waste resources on developing a new vehicle when they can just strip it down and stick a water cannon on it to wash those damn space hippies) minus the hull mounted weapon and lasguns down the side. Just do a alternate weapon sprue for the APC and bung that in with the current Chimera. 

Even better. Always liked those more than Chimeras. 

Depending on how far back we go will it still be 40k? Technically we are in the backstory... 

Theres a good moneymaker for B&C for future updates, upkeep etc, 3D printed Frater in 40k style clothing. :lol

(Reads Brother Tyler's post and realises he spelt Exodites incorrectly...)

Although Arbites and some other factions might only be used in smaller scales in "real life", a 40K game is kind of perfect size to represent them, as not all 40K is a sample of a wider conflict or has to be. ;)

I just like Judge Dredd, ok!

Brought up here, that's a good point about the weirder and wonderful concepts out here. There's all sorts of crazy Imperial organisations and factions, so it seems an Agents of the Throne list would be ideal to cover many avenues there.

Rogue Traders! How can I have forgotten about them too.

So it seems my initial thoughts of there being limited concepts left was very mistaken!

Arbites have their own ships, armies, tank squadrons, all the toys to launch offensive operations if they need to. Their precincts arent just canaries after all, they are entirely up for launching punitive actions on their own, on a limited scale only compared to the Imperial Guard.

GW has actually been pretty good at bringing back things i enjoyed as a kid but couldnt afford at the time, at least in 40k, though Exodites would be awesome, i mean just go find the Hes Goodwin concepts they were promoting the Exodite with. HAwt.

More recently id like to see the return of the Full Corsair range and the Elysians, i have a feeling FW squatted a third force of mine at the start of 8th but i cant put my finger on it right now, might just be a collection of units :D 

In the Shira Calpurnia novels Arbites have Leman Russes and Chimeras in their vehicle pool, so they would be very similar to GSC Battle Brothers.

They also used to have access to the FW Rhino variant that Sisters got but I can't remember the name.

Edited by StraightSilver

Didn't Imperial Guard use Rhinos too back when Arbites had rules?

I'm pretty sure their last rules were in the Second Ed box and that was the equivalent of the Indexes that took us from 7th -> 8th.

Rik

I'm pretty sure their last rules were in the Second Ed box and that was the equivalent of the Indexes that took us from 7th -> 8th.

Rik

Aye, back in the day everyone shared Rhinos, Predators and Land Raiders. Even Harlequins could steal them (had to be painted Quin colours though to allow it). 

*snip* 

I noticed you have not done a 20 min video on the Squats returning (even though we have no actual idea whats goin on yet) for your channel... Im shocked!!! 

NGL Im kinda glad, all I see now is Squat videos telling us the same thing... Nothing. 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

Dont forget about Khorne daemonkin. As an army they dont exits any longer. I miss that.

Eh, I don't think Daemonkin really felt like a fully-fledged faction in it's own right though, it was more like an alternative army list that allowed you to easily play models from existing factions  together more easily.

In the Shira Calpurnia novels Arbites have Leman Russes and Chimeras in their vehicle pool, so they would be very similar to GSC Battle Brothers.

They also used to have access to the FW Rhino variant that Sisters got but I can't remember the name.

The Repressor, yes.

Rik

I believe it was the Forgeworld hardback books that said that the Rhino was somewhat restricted - to the various Adeptuses - Sororitas, Arbites, Astartes, etc, and that regular Guard didn't get them.

I'm pretty sure the guard still uses rhino's, just not on the front line as a pure APC is a bit wasted on them, but I'm sure I read something with munitorum rhinos moving supplies around not toooo long ago. Unlike the Land Raider the humble stc rhino is common as muck and about as variable :D

Yeah the old fluff had much of the equipment shared in a lot of factions. Rhinos were everywhere, with Sisters through to Arbites.

GW has moved somewhat away from that in recent years, with an emphasis on Primaris meaning the 2 factions that use Rhinos most are Sisters of Silence and Battle Sisters.

I wonder if Arbites returned we'd see some new vehicles but also utilisation of any existing kits too? Be a shame not to see some new stuff?

*snip*

I noticed you have not done a 20 min video on the Squats returning (even though we have no actual idea whats goin on yet) for your channel... Im shocked!!! 

NGL Im kinda glad, all I see now is Squat videos telling us the same thing... Nothing.

Nah I haven't. I've put the channel on a temporary freeze as of late, simply because of work and 40K game play changing so much I just don't have the time to do it.

But maybe I need a massive Squats reaction video, like 45mins lol.

I think the Taurox would look great visually with any future Arbites that came along.

Imperial Agents as a Codex would be great, with the idea that they are really intended to be allied into any of the other Imperial Factions.

To go alongside this an equivalent for both Chaos and Xenos. For Chaos it could be some Dark Mechanicum, Cultists, Beastmen, Gellerpox, etc. For Xenos it would be the natural home for Corsairs, Freebootaz, Kroot etc.

Most units would have Faction restrictions as to which Codexes they won't work alongside.

Rik

I'm pretty sure the guard still uses rhino's, just not on the front line as a pure APC is a bit wasted on them, but I'm sure I read something with munitorum rhinos moving supplies around not toooo long ago. Unlike the Land Raider the humble stc rhino is common as muck and about as variable :biggrin.:

From Imperial Armour Volume 2: Space Marines & Forces of the Inquisition (page 12-13)

Today, only the most trusted Imperial organisations have access to Rhinos. The technology involved in their construction is too valuable to risk with any but the most loyal of troops. The Adeptus Astartes, Adeptus Sororitas, Adeptus Arbites and the Orders of the Inquisition all use the Rhino as their principle armoured transport vehicle.

Edited by Iron Lord

The Repressor, yes.

Rik

I believe it was the Forgeworld hardback books that said that the Rhino was somewhat restricted - to the various Adeptuses - Sororitas, Arbites, Astartes, etc, and that regular Guard didn't get them.

But going back to the old rule sets fro ages past, Guard used Rhinos as their APC's all the time, the only other non Rhino based 'tanks' back then were the Land Raider and the Ork Battle Wagon. 

I'm pretty sure the guard still uses rhino's, just not on the front line as a pure APC is a bit wasted on them, but I'm sure I read something with munitorum rhinos moving supplies around not toooo long ago. Unlike the Land Raider the humble stc rhino is common as muck and about as variable :biggrin.:

From Imperial Armour Volume 2: Space Marines & Forces of the Inquisition (page 12-13)

Today, only the most trusted Imperial organisations have access to Rhinos. The technology involved in their construction is too valuable to risk with any but the most loyal of troops. The Adeptus Astartes, Adeptus Sororitas, Adeptus Arbites and the Orders of the Inquisition all use the Rhino as their principle armoured transport vehicle.

Sounds like someone was trying to shift the window on that one, given the masses of evidence countering it, its probably just an in universe opinion. I mean, one of the core concepts of the Rhino was it was extremely common wherever STC tech was available, and the whole point of STC was ease of construction/use based on local conditions. Rare stc vehicles are hard to produce because they are specific but the rhino is so common there are hundreds of variants and construction options.

Its a big shame GW as a whole is seemingly trying to softly move away from STC designs, they may only exist to explain why things are so similar or broadly used because of irl limitations but personally I've always found them quite interesting as a concept.

Arbites I feel would be better suited to skirmish games like Necromunda or Kill Team. Like, military police don't generally deploy as fighting forces in a full on battlefield, especially not the "Somme except worse" battlefields of the 41st Millennium. By all means I'd like to see more of them but maybe not as a full army.

Dark Mechanicus and LATD are obvious choices, but there's three that immediately spring out to me.

1: Hrud. They've been in the fluff for decades now and they've never been retconned away- indeed, they're stated to be seriously bad news for anyone who gets in between them and wherever they're going, and yet outside the very early days when they were just space Skaven they've never had models. Which is a pity because entropic bendy-limbed Jawas kinda sounds like an amazing concept for an army. You could probably make some decent conversions with the Night Goblins/Gloomspite Gitz kits, just replace the goblin faces with masks and so on.

2: Rak'gol. Not as important to the fluff as Hrud but still awesome- off the top of my head they're like Orks with the comedy replaced with darkest nightmare fuel. Literally- their technology is utter garbage, with Chernobyl-tier nuclear fission reactors powering their stuff and horribly crude cybernetics, but they just can't be killed.

3: Kroot and other Tau auxiliaries as a full force. Kroot are the obvious ones, and I'd love to see them get expanded upon, but the Vespids, Demiurg and others would be cool. A "Tau Vassal Races" Codex would be seriously neat, especially if it could stand alone as an army or be allied in with Tau proper.

Some of the nightmarish creatures from the ghoul stars. But then again thats goin OT, were talkin about factions missing from older editions not stuff mentioned in lore.