Cult of the Ochre Successor

sitnam

Though't that now I have finished these guys I'd post them up

med_gallery_63667_17397_1504320.jpg

med_gallery_63667_17397_601219.jpg

med_gallery_63667_17397_321813.jpg

med_gallery_63667_17397_1923176.jpg

med_gallery_63667_17397_79543.jpg

These are the Hybrid Metamophhs for my GSC kill team. Made with a kitbash of Metamorph mutations, Kairic Acolyte bodies, and a sprinkling of Cawdor autopistols. These came a bout because I had purchased a Acolyte Hybrid box with the intention of building Metamorphs, as I really love the theme of metamorphs. I then realized I had pretty much a complete set of Kairic Acolyte from a box I purchased for bits. WIth the number of bits within the Acolyte Hybrid box, you could easily kitbash 10+ GSC troops. Just from those two boxes (and a few cawdor bits), I have another metamorph cultist, 5 Acolytes, and an Icon Bearer. Ive sinc egot some extra bits to make a Kelermorph, Acolyte mining weapon, and a Neophyte Hybrid gunner.

The basic lore for these guys is they are the renmants of a cult that was destroyed in their hive city. They escaped to the harsh jungle surrounding the hives, and have been rebuilding, led by a new Patriarch. In lieau of scavenged imperial technology, they have a higher rate of Tyranid biomorphs, with large numbers of Metamorphs in their ranks.

Edited by sitnam

• 3 weeks later...

Got a Hybrid Acolyte squad painted!

med_gallery_63667_17397_258247.jpg

med_gallery_63667_17397_245488.jpg

med_gallery_63667_17397_726558.jpg

Pretty much the same ida as previous, Kairic Acolyte Body + GSC Arms and Head + a few Cawdor bits. Instead of mining weapons I used Tyranid warrior biomorphs to make some "heavy" melee options. I actually used a WarCry Cypher Lords torso on Kairic Legs to get the bonesword guy, as I was having issues getting the fit right with just a Kairic Body. I then used the Cypher legs and Kairic Torso to make the scything talon polearm.

My headcanon is that not only does the Cult have a higher rate of Metamorphs, simply to survive the hostile jungle enviroment, but a wider variety of biomorphs to help fill in the gaps. I'm also playing round with the idea that the genestealers are infecting local wildlife, which the cult leadership uses as beast of burden. The mutated local wildlife is then often harvested for things like scything talons. I don't quite know what kind of animals I'd like to add, but down the line I kind of want to add Nid-ified animals.

They look great. You've merged the different pieces really smoothly, and the colour-scheme is good too.

Thanks! They were originally gonna be the Cult of the Verdant Successor, which more green tinged skin. Turns out Coelia Greenshade ends up being more of a blue green then I realized, so I changed the carapace and bone to Iyanden Yellow...hence Ochre.

I'm pretty happy with how the parts came together, though honestly the crushing claw metamorph is kind of janky IMO

Edited by sitnam

Maybe get one of the texture paints. I use a layer of that, shade, drybrush, tidy the rim, done. It's about ten minutes work tops (with drying time in-between), but I find it really makes a difference, visually.

I used to leave all my bases plain black - like you, why faff about with basing when you can add more models? But having tried the simple texture paint option, I wouldn't go back.

Since them being a jungle cult is pretty central to my lore (and their rivals are gonna be a Ordo Xenos employed Kroot kindred), I think I will work on getting them based, it doesnt look that hard. Stirland mud and some Bracken will probably sprucer them up well.

I do have a Lord of Change I'd like to do beforehand though lol.

med_gallery_63667_17397_76066.jpg

med_gallery_63667_17397_410945.jpg

The are five of the last six hybrids. A standard metamorph, two hand flamer acolytes, a Iconward/Metamorph banner bearer, and a counts as heavy mining weapon. Given these guys are for KT, I'd likely call it a Seismic cannon. I havent gottena round to kitbashing neophytes yet, but I wont be using Kairics for them. Too buff for "normal" humans.

And a lit sneak peak at my Kelermorph:

med_gallery_63667_17397_103476.jpg

Edited by sitnam