Castellax as Obliterators (please see the last reply)

nusphigor

Hey all
i was debating if i should buy a csm box for my army and mix it's contents with the chosen squads i have from the eldritch omens boxes, but then i thought about how to equip them.
In the long forgotten age of 5th edition i used to run them like this
2 squads with combi melta power fist, flamer and meltagun in a rhino

1 squad with combi plasma and 2 plasmaguns on a rhino

Right now i would have 20 marines to work with (10 chosen and 10 csm) but i can always convert some loyalists to have another 10.

Is this load out still available? or is it better to not buy the csm squad, just stick with one squad and leave the troop section to cultists? (back in the day i supplemented the csm squads with deepstriking lesser daemons)

What do you guys suggest?

Cheers

Edited by nusphigor

I think that plasma is still a very excellent option; it's nearly always been good and is good against most 2 wound models, or if models have -1 damage, just don't over charge. So the plasma squad seems solid to me.

Not sure about the first one. Flames are conceptually cool weapons but for me at least they seem to always under perform, so I never really run them anymore.

Codex drops in a few months, will have a better idea then, but personally I think the plasma squad will be viable. Also plasma guns look cool.

Edited by Marshall Mittens

Not only might the new codex give us better insight/options, but the new Kill Team options and a combat patrol will probably be released around that time too, so you might get more bang for your buck at that time.

On the other hand there's still the current Start Collecting! if you don't have that yet - though those CSM are unfortunately monopose so not as easy to kitbash with the chosen.

Not sure about the first one. Flames are conceptually cool weapons but for me at least they seem to always under perform, so I never really run them anymore.

I agree, flamers usually disappoint me too. If you want a big squad, I would be tempted to take a Chaincannon instead of the flamer. Yes it costs more but it has more shots and more range. Weight of fire should be enough to offset the penalty if you wish to move and fire.

Having said that, it is probalby best to wait for the new codex to drop before committing.

Thank you guys!

I will wait for the codex then, but will paint just the torsos of the minis as some of them are on the painting event XD

Also, a question about Obliterators:

I just got some castellax from a friend, and i wanted to use them as Obliterators (aswell as kastellan robots) but i just saw online that the obliterators are on 50mm bases.
Would it be unfair to use them as such, having in mind the bases they have are 60mm?

What do you think?

Upsizing bases on non-melee units is arguably more of a disadvantage than anything, since it lets more enemy models get into range to attack it in melee simultaneously. Thirding the argument that in a non-tournament environment no one should object.

You could always magnetize them so that they go on both 60mm and 50mm bases- one for display/casual play and one for tournament play. You might get some overhang in regards to the model's feet, but looking at them again you should probably be able to fit them on 50s.