Armour of Contempt

Valerian

Terminators, and especially Paladins probably look a little better after this.   Also, Draigo gets to take advantage of this, since he doesn't have a Storm Shield, or a Relic that replaces one.

Thoughts?

This is an awesome an unexpected buff IMO, but also needed I think. I have 3 PA based armies (GK, DW, and DG) and this helps out GK and DG quite a bit as both factions lack storm shields.

Anything to make our guys more survivable is welcome in my eyes. AoC seems to stack really well with tide of shadows also, makes regular PA guys mini terminators now!

Paladins in cover with armoured resilience will be super tough to shift now, which makes me happy because I always run a 10 man squad of paladins!

As a DA and GK player, these changes make me very happy. Wish I can say the same about my Custodes after they got the shafting of a lifetime. 

But yes, this might actually open up terminator/paladin builds, especially with the points changes around the corner on top of this! However, I am very concerned about rules lawyers who might argue about:

"Models that are under the effects of any other rule that worsens or reduces the Armour Penetration characteristic of an attack", and say gaining cover is a form of AP reduction. 

Cover gives a bonus to your save, it does not affect the AP at all. In anyone is trying to claim it doesn't stack, they either don't understand those rules or are arguing in bad faith. 

As a DA and GK player, these changes make me very happy. Wish I can say the same about my Custodes after they got the shafting of a lifetime. 

But yes, this might actually open up terminator/paladin builds, especially with the points changes around the corner on top of this! However, I am very concerned about rules lawyers who might argue about:

"Models that are under the effects of any other rule that worsens or reduces the Armour Penetration characteristic of an attack", and say gaining cover is a form of AP reduction. 

Yeah, looking really nice for Paladins especially. Functional Sv1+, add on Shadows and Armoured Resilience and they're gonna be a damn tough brick without too much investment.

However, I am very concerned about rules lawyers who might argue about:

As BluejayJunior says, Cover and Armour Save modifiers are not AP reduction. There is no argument there.

Really makes me rethink whether I want to run terminators or not. Ignoring a tick of AP makes them particularly tough.

I was gonna run a big Paladin brick regardless, because Terminators are cool (and Paladins are just Terminator+) but now they're a really strong option, especially with Truesilver. The Armour of Contempt buff means that Zone of Warding/Sanctuary is a lot less needed against many things, especially if you can get Armoured Resilience off.

Regular Terminators definitely do get a solid boost too - being able to stand in the open vs AP-1 and still get a 2+ is pretty solid.

Main problem with AofC is that it's just more rules bloat.

Edited by Kallas

It all seems good! Until you face another marine army, and suddenly the game slows down because neither side will die lol.

Combat will also slow down again... I remember last few editions, combat with Marines, even with our superior weapons, took ages because we had barely any attacks, now its gonna take ages again because our weapons are only reducing the save by 1 unless we use a sword.

Edited by Captain Coolpants

My only fear with relying on a blob of paladins is that they absolutely need to cast armour resilient on themselves.

This is quite unreliable with all the mechanics against casting. Chances are slim to pass it against nids and can be denied about 50% of the time by most factions. Also using the strat to cast on 3 dices is required to make it more reliable but feel like a waste as we would have prefered to use it on draigo for gate or amplification that are key as well.

My only fear with relying on a blob of paladins is that they absolutely need to cast armour resilient on themselves.

This is quite unreliable with all the mechanics against casting. Chances are slim to pass it against nids and can be denied about 50% of the time by most factions. Also using the strat to cast on 3 dices is required to make it more reliable but feel like a waste as we would have prefered to use it on draigo for gate or amplification that are key as well.

This is also why im cautious about running big blobs of terminators, msu means more denies and more casts and still more offensive output. Not to mention everyone else is aware of this change so they will be teching for 2+ and 3 wounds. If youre going for rule of cool thats fine but competetively i think 60 power armor bodies is the way to go.

Edited by Archadeus

Does this mean swords are now the better default than halberds?

Correct. Because of Empyric Amplification, there isn't even a reason to even run demon hammers for the D3. Swords all the way.