Is our codex in balance or not?

Ulfast

What I encountered, this was a month or two ago, was a lot of full neophyte squads with multiple mining lasers and/or seismic cannons in the backfield/midfield- combined with jackals, ridgerunners, and goliaths moving fast and getting good angles on my forward units. With the crossfire (I think?) bonuses and acolytes popping out with flamers, it was not easy to push up the board and dominate midfield (which is what my Necrons are designed for). 

It wasn't so much the quality of weapons (lots of low AP 1d shots), as it was just the ridiculous amount of wounds that would be piled up on a single unit- even with reanimation the amount of damage quickly piled up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 7:45 AM, Ulfast said:

I read in a lot of places that our codex is very good and balanced and that most people seems to like it. I do. But I wonder, if our codex is in balance, because if it´s a good codex, then why don´t our faction win any tournaments? From the release of our codex I have seen no tournament wins ( I could be wrong, please correct me if you can). I know that some other armies like custodes and tau has been very strong and we are not close (and few armies has been) but still I wonder why we dont see more wins or top 4 spots? I heard one reason could be that we are one of the least played armies but is that true?

I think the fact that GSC isn't winning tourneys is a sign of balance - broken codexes are winning tourneys, really. Tau, Custodes, Harlies, all of which have then received massive hits with the nerf bat. Also, don't forget that tourney winning codexes are positively reinforced, both by tourney wins and the 'top' players. Any codex with any kind of slightly broken exploit will see top players jump to it, meaning other codexes are played less. As a codex wins tourneys, it's perceived as stronger, so other players move to it. 

Best thing is to assess how your codex fares in your own meta, and local tourneys. Maybe for super tourneys, you'd expect an even spread of results in the top and bottom 50% of games? But it's so subjective it's hard to really assess.