Unit of the Week: Mortarion

Wolf Lord Loki

• 4 weeks later...
Love the model and would love to own one. Even if I did save up the money to buy it tho, I’d be way to intimidated to try to paint it. So, I’d get it done professionally. Another huge expense. Then, the gorgeous model with the super nice and expensive paint job would NEVER leave a display case. So, I’ll never have him for my army. But a Nurgling can dream. Edited by Tipper

Just got pasted by Mortarion in a tournament game - that was the Semi final and the DG player is now in the final and likely to win I think. 

I was playing 8th ed codex nids, and didnt really have an answer to him. Even hive guard, that possible best unit in the game for a while, couldn't touch him - the -1D against dD3 weapons is good. The phosphem bomb against hordes is amazing, and then, something I didn't realise, is that he has a sweep. 21 attacks is also powerful. 

This was at 1500, so morty probably had a greater impact on the game that he would at 2k, but he really shines with quartered DZ, enough terrain, and the overall smaller tables of 9th. 

• 7 months later...

Watch out for units with the ability to auto-wound as that negates his high toughness (e.g. Infiltrators, Votann Judgement tokens etc). Also Mortal Wounds are bad for his health as they bypass armour, save, Invulnerable saves and his -1 Damage ability. The most common source of MWs are psychic powers so he has some defence but some weapons also inflict MWs and can be fielded in reasonable numbers (sniper weapons, Tau Rail weapons, Aeldari Wraithcannons etc).

• 5 months later...