Returning to the Game; Returning to the Hobby

Griz

It's been quite some time since I've posted on B&C but it feels like coming home!

A few weeks back some friends and I decided to take a stab at 9th Edition and we generally had fun; we've stuck primarily to a few small games so far and just trying to shake the dust off and re-orient ourselves with the newest ruleset. Most of us have been playing since 3rd Ed up until 7th where we became disenfranchised with the ruleset and life happens as well haha.

Needless to say, it appears we're going to be sticking it out and diving back in - to that end, I will be rebuilding my 40k Space Wolves (I got rid of my army, maybe 7 years ago or so, maybe longer than that) and I was hoping I could get some information on a few things before taking the dive back in.

1. Are there any places for 2nd hand miniatures and/or new on sprue? (Other than Amazon/Ebay)

2. With the advent of Primaris; what is the standard base size now?

3. Re #2 - Are there any custom bases out there? (Preferably not self 3-D printed as I don't own one)

4. Are there any Space Wolf Primaris scale appropriate bits? (Not the add-on Sprue from GW)

5. Any other important information on Kit Bashing (model lines either GW or otherwise) to make more thematic and not so vanilla looking mini's?

Any information is helpful, so thanks in advance - really looking forward to hobbying once again!

Welcome back to tge Fang and the Hobby Brother! Grab a Chair and a Mjod and sit a while and tell us your saga.

1. Are there any places for 2nd hand miniatures and/or new on sprue? (Other than Amazon/Ebay)

Not really. GW got pretty feisty about box breaking some years back so short of EBAY I'm not aware of any.

32mm

3. Re #2 - Are there any custom bases out there? (Preferably not self 3-D printed as I don't own one)

They are around. Many 3d printed (for you) and resin cast bases are available. Shapeways is one such place. But I'm sure there are others

4. Are there any Space Wolf Primaris scale appropriate bits? (Not the add-on Sprue from GW)

From outside vendors yes. See the resources page pinned at the top under modeling. It should point you the right way.

5. Any other important information on Kit Bashing (model lines either GW or otherwise) to make more thematic and not so vanilla looking mini's?

The space wolves box (old greyhunter/ bloodclaw/ wolf guard) has lots of great bits as does the space wolves Terminator box. Otherwuse see the resources page pinned at the top of the forum.

Hope this helped

Welcome back to tge Fang and the Hobby Brother! Grab a Chair and a Mjod and sit a while and tell us your saga.

Not really. GW got pretty feisty about box breaking some years back so short of EBAY I'm not aware of any.

32mm

They are around. Many 3d printed (for you) and resin cast bases are available. Shapeways is one such place. But I'm sure there are others

From outside vendors yes. See the resources page pinned at the top under modeling. It should point you the right way.

The space wolves box (old greyhunter/ bloodclaw/ wolf guard) has lots of great bits as does the space wolves Terminator box. Otherwuse see the resources page pinned at the top of the forum.

Hope this helped

Thanks for the reply!

If you're referring to the Space Wolves Resources page - I did take a look before posting but found many of the links are dated or broken or redirect to pages that no longer exist. Maybe you're referring to a different section? 

With regards to the First Founding (OG Space Marines boxes - Grey Hunters/ Blood Claws) are they still compatible with the larger scale Primaris? 

Frontline gaming has a second hand shop. I am not affiliated with them. I just know they do second hand from all the ads on podcasts I listen to haha.

Welcome back.

Hope this helped

Thanks for the reply!

If you're referring to the Space Wolves Resources page - I did take a look before posting but found many of the links are dated or broken or redirect to pages that no longer exist. Maybe you're referring to a different section?

With regards to the First Founding (OG Space Marines boxes - Grey Hunters/ Blood Claws) are they still compatible with the larger scale Primaris?

You know I thought it was modeling but I went and double checked and there is a separate 3rd party bits section. Thos links seem functional as I checked while I was looking. But puppetswar, kromlech, bitsofwar, and shapeways are the primary ones in there to save you a trip.

As Grotsmasha mentioned the pads all work, and the hands are unnoticeable really. But tge other perk is all the Wolf bits like tails, knives,and totems and if you are hood with a hobby knife you can get some interesting bits off the chest pieces. Plus you'll have some good wolfguard bodies if you are looking to make some jump pack wolf guard.

Welcome back!

Can also confirm that the older 'firstborn' bits work well with the new primaris kits. Bit of conversion work needed for the older weapons as the hand are a bit different, but you generally wouldnt notice. if you want to theme a primaris based force more theres plenty of bits in the old grey hunter/bloodclaw kit you can use.

I've a WiP thread here with some photos/vids of 'primaris' scale firstborn ive been doing:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/373575-emperors-executioners-return-to-the-fang/

These generally use a combination of assault intercessors (legs, body, arms, chainsword), and parts from the burning of prospero & grey hunter kit (heads, pads, bolters, special weapons). As people have mentioned above theres also quite a few third party companies out there for 'space viking'/wolf themed parts and bases too if you dont want to use all GW.

How did you find your first games back into 9th? I've been playing a while (although very limited the last couple years) but recently started playing with a few friends who are just into the hobby and was good fun running some smaller games with them.

I have used parts from the normal Space Wolf infantry sprue to decorate various Primaris models and I have been pretty pleased with the results. These Bladeguard veterans are made from the monopose models from the Indomitus box.

gallery_82363_15236_99713.jpg

Hope this helped

Thanks for the reply!

You know I thought it was modeling but I went and double checked and there is a separate 3rd party bits section. Thos links seem functional as I checked while I was looking. But puppetswar, kromlech, bitsofwar, and shapeways are the primary ones in there to save you a trip.

As Grotsmasha mentioned the pads all work, and the hands are unnoticeable really. But tge other perk is all the Wolf bits like tails, knives,and totems and if you are hood with a hobby knife you can get some interesting bits off the chest pieces. Plus you'll have some good wolfguard bodies if you are looking to make some jump pack wolf guard.

I'll take another look - thanks for clarifying! 

Welcome back!

Can also confirm that the older 'firstborn' bits work well with the new primaris kits. Bit of conversion work needed for the older weapons as the hand are a bit different, but you generally wouldnt notice. if you want to theme a primaris based force more theres plenty of bits in the old grey hunter/bloodclaw kit you can use.

I've a WiP thread here with some photos/vids of 'primaris' scale firstborn ive been doing:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/373575-emperors-executioners-return-to-the-fang/

These generally use a combination of assault intercessors (legs, body, arms, chainsword), and parts from the burning of prospero & grey hunter kit (heads, pads, bolters, special weapons). As people have mentioned above theres also quite a few third party companies out there for 'space viking'/wolf themed parts and bases too if you dont want to use all GW.

How did you find your first games back into 9th? I've been playing a while (although very limited the last couple years) but recently started playing with a few friends who are just into the hobby and was good fun running some smaller games with them.

Damn - fantastic work! I've got probably 10k points of 30k Vlka Fenryka on sprue so I definitely could use that to work with the Primaris scale stuff.

Your vids and mini's are fantastic - love the gritty/bloody visual of your work!

Honestly; it's pretty mixed - we have one buddy who is so against GW and their practices and the constant (relative term I suppose) changing or rules. I completely get where they are coming from, I just see it as a matter of perspective and try to look at it like we're just a small group playing for fun. I suppose the biggest challenge so far would be all the rules we've got stuck in our head from all the different editions over the years - I'm awaiting a hardback rule book that should be in this week so I'll be able to sort myself out and shake off the cobwebs so to speak. 

We're pretty much doing the same as what you're doing so I'm REALLY looking forward to the hobby aspect as well.

I have used parts from the normal Space Wolf infantry sprue to decorate various Primaris models and I have been pretty pleased with the results. These Bladeguard veterans are made from the monopose models from the Indomitus box.

Looks great! Thanks for the extra info - this is very inspirational

The first-born shoulder pads are compatible with regular Primaries, and Terminator pads are compatible with Gravis armours.

Hands are a slightly different scale, but unnoticeable at gaming distance (Primaries hands are between first-born PA and Terminator hand size).

Hmm good to know about the TDA pads and Garvis armour - some more opportunities there as well.

Frontline gaming has a second hand shop. I am not affiliated with them. I just know they do second hand from all the ads on podcasts I listen to haha.

Welcome back.

Oh thanks! I'll take a look - cheers!

Griz,

Also look at the Space Wolves Showcase threads up in the Resources section to see examples of painted models, new and old.  You'll see a lot of examples of how to make Space Wolves Primaris models.  

It is rather like a spectrum. You can have Intercessors who have recently arrived from the Indomitus Crusade and maybe just have a few wolf tails or a special weapon or two.

gallery_82363_15236_435245.jpg

At the other end of the spectrum you can really go to town with parts if you get inspired, particularly for a suitably epic Wolf Lord.

gallery_82363_15236_363574.jpg

At the end of the day, both options still feel right and wolfy and can happily co-exist in the same army.