Trying to figure out Primaris Black Templars.

Warhead01

Hello!

I've recently been thinking of trimming my Primaris Blood Angels army down and reusing the rest of the models as a Black templars force. 
I'm not a competitive player but I don't wish to just get trashed either. 

I'm struggling to see how to build a Templars army. Mostly I am not sure about the Crusade squad. More back ground being I had thought to just build a "Marine list" and paint it in BT colors. But I am not sure that's the way to go. I'd had a few ideas including a Gravis armour list , all the infantry must be in that armour. It does cur away a few of my limited options but I thought it might at least be amusing at the time. 
I've built a list last week and realized I have no heavy support in it. Primaris Heavy Support is a little screwy  as 'we" have only a hand full of choices. 

I'd be interested in any guidance you may have on unit selection for a Primaris based list. I might be over thinking it. 
At one point i had imagined building a 1000 point list with at least 3 extra 500 point blocks I could switch around with out having too many extra models that never se the table. 

It's all up in the air still but I would be glad of any helpful ideas you may have.

Just how important are Crusade Squads? Do you use Intercessor squads? Which do you prefer? 

Thank you.

I previously thought they were the way forward but I've found 2x Infiltrators and 1x Heavy Intercessors to be v handy for filling out my Troops. They all add something more than just holding objectives. 

Maybe one day the 20-man Crusader doomstack with 4x power fists...

Hey Brother Warhead, our Warhammer Store Manager mains Black Templars.  It's very clear what works for him, because they're his staples in every list he takes:

• HQ: Primaris Chaplain on Bike w/ Tannhauser's Bones
  • Troops: full 20-man Crusader blob, loaded for assaulting bears
  • Heavy Support: Redemptor Dreadnought

The Big Idea - the Chaplain (standard setup on Bike w/ Tannhauser's Bones) can buff a single unit, so he chooses the single biggest unit with the most Wounds and the most Attacks: a full 20-man Crusader blob.  That seems to be the benefit of the Crusader squad to him, sheer numbers, compared to other smaller squads of Marines.  They would take the centre and hold.  He often uses the 5+ Feel No Pain buff.

The Redemptor Dreadnought is simply the best bang for the buck Heavy Support-wise.  The Chaplain + max-sized Crusader squad is his main thing, everything else rotates around that, both metaphorically and on the tabletop.

I haven't played Black Templar since 6/7th edition but yeah that system of 20 man squad seems to work well with the new 9th edition.  Everyone around here runs a 5 man primaris unless they are in gravis armor or bikes.

I don't know what I would do if you had such a large blob in the middle.  I would try to play objectives and hope to keep you out of reach but it would just be a matter of time until my squads are overrun.

I run a 20 man, benefits are:

- maximize strats; overwatch and transhuman mean a lot more with mass
- maximize litanies: litanies effect 2x as many guys. This matters for 5+++ and 6+ mortal wounds.

There's lots of things where throwing buckets of dice works wonders. Down side is cost. I happily run 1x20 but you need a very specific build for more than that.

As far as heavy support, the simple answer is redemptor dreadnoughts and eradicators. They are simple, effective, and cheap weapons platforms. For most people this will be sufficient.

I have had significant success with primaris armor as a means of weapon support, namely a repulsor and gladiator valiant. They are expensive, but the weapons loadout is invaluable in certain matchups. You have to be very careful with how/when you expose them because you can't afford redundancy. Making this work takes a lot more effort with the army list and balancing: one piece of armor will easily be targeted and destroyed. 3-5 causes saturation that makes things tough on your opponent.

Edited by CrystalSeer

I run 3 10 man squads in the list I took to the GT at WHW. One with ABR, carbines and 2x pyreblasters, one with ABR, shotguns and 2x pyreblasters and the third with chainswords and 2x power fists. They all worked well for me and were quite flexible. The ranged squads were able to hold ground and contribute a number of shots to help the mid field squads. A few people don't rate the pyreblasters but I found them invaluable. The range means a unit can hunker down in cover but still be a threat, as a number of barbecued Wyches can attest to. The combat squad were my counter assault unit and they did well, even bringing down the swarmlord in combat. I'm working on the next version of the list for another tournament, but the Crusaders are staying as they are.

in 1000 points I go for 20x Primaris Crusaders, all armed with chainswords. By the time they reach the enemy you will loose some but hey, you get a medium of 40 hit rolls. With Armour of Contempt, Feel no Pain 5+ thanks to a Chaplain and 5+ Inv. Save + mini Transhuman because of a Vow...you get the thrill.

Thank you all for the helpful incites.  I'm again in the process of cooking up a list, slowly.  I have my first one nearly "done" as a place holder I can use to start to learn the ropes but I see I will need to put in some cash to get the Crusader squads to go further. 
With a little luck I may even be able to give it a go in a few weeks with some friends. I've not even played a game yet this year... well I can't recall playing a game this year anyway. 
So I'll have to relearn loads but it should be good. 

Question, in my list I had two units of Outriders and a unit of inceptors loaded with plasma. I did drop one unit of Outriders but if you were to pick between outriders or inceptors which would you choose, or would you prefer another Redemptor in place of the Inceptors as that is also a possible option. 
And how crucial is the Emperors champion would you say? 

Thank you all for the helpful incites.  I'm again in the process of cooking up a list, slowly.  I have my first one nearly "done" as a place holder I can use to start to learn the ropes but I see I will need to put in some cash to get the Crusader squads to go further. 

With a little luck I may even be able to give it a go in a few weeks with some friends. I've not even played a game yet this year... well I can't recall playing a game this year anyway. 

So I'll have to relearn loads but it should be good. 

Question, in my list I had two units of Outriders and a unit of inceptors loaded with plasma. I did drop one unit of Outriders but if you were to pick between outriders or inceptors which would you choose, or would you prefer another Redemptor in place of the Inceptors as that is also a possible option. 

And how crucial is the Emperors champion would you say? 

If I was you I'd drop both for a Redemptor. Outriders are good for melee but there are better options. Same goes for Inceptors, their plasma costs 60 pts more...kinda big for a unit with low toughness and wounds.

Edited by Viridovix