Codex Supplement: Castellans of the Rift

Khornestar

In today's Warhammer Community preview article, I read the codex supplement contained in War Zone Nachmund: Rift War will be for an Astartes chapter called the Castellans of the Rift.

There is some good summary here regarding the Castellans of the Rift, and the larger force of Astartes of various chapters that combined to form the Wardens of the Rift.

I hope the rules are interesting. Since it's coming out soon, seemed like a good enough time to start the discussion.

Is there any info out there about what the rules might be? 

I haven't seen anything so far, but it sounds like a cool idea to do Supplements to tie in a bunch of chapters like this. Trying to give every chapter stuff is going to be a futile endeavor beyond a certain fixed set (1st founding, etc.), so tying a bunch in by themed Warzone is something I rather like, especially if they continue to bring in lesser chapters to stuff like this.

I'm intrigued. The Castellans have very little info about them but it's a nice colour scheme. If the rules offer something substantially different from any of the other marine forces I have, I may paint up a small force.

You’re spot on. I’m sure I’d be surprised but it seems like there would be little point in a codex supplement if they didn’t make it quite unique.

Don’t wanna poison the well but this ends up being a big shrug from me. Nothing super interesting, just a primaris only ultramarines successor army with their own traits/relics/strats:

https://www.goonhammer.com/war-zone-nachmund-rift-war-matched-play-review/

Don’t wanna poison the well but this ends up being a big shrug from me. Nothing super interesting, just a primaris only ultramarines successor army with their own traits/relics/strats:

https://www.goonhammer.com/war-zone-nachmund-rift-war-matched-play-review/

Looks like an alright boost for people who only want to use Primaris units. The bonuses, traits, and strategems all seem thematic and useful.

For example, a strategem for +1 to hit when you get charged can actually be a big deal, provided enough of the unit survives to hit back, and their perma mini-Transhuman will help there.

Things like being able to turn on 6" heroic intervention will help mess with your opponent's plans as well.

And it could always be worse - at least it is not a Tzaangors army of renown.

The deployment shenanigans and a few other things are cool.

I play primaris only Black Templars, and there’s a contingent of them amongst the Wardens so maybe I’ll actually give it a chance.

Edited by Khornestar

8 WL-Traits. Same amount as the BT Supplement. And all 8 are better^^

There are only 3 warlord traits in the new supplement. And the BT got six, rather than eight.

The Castellans got eight *stratagems*. Meanwhile the Templars got sixteen, pretty much typical for the "full" Space Marine supplements. And in both cases, twice what the Castellans got here.

But they are successor of the Ultramarines.

Yes. The comment is not meant to imply that Imperial Fists can use these particular rules. Rather, the rules seem to fit thematically with what Imperial Fists are supposed to be.

Yep, I figure if these weren't a "real world" chapter belonging to one of the internal GW folks, somewhere during the process they would have been designated as sons of Dorn. Fortifying the Rift is as Fistian a task as one could ask for.

But as-is, the position of "Ultima Founding obviously Dornish chapter heavily involved in War Zone Nachmund" goes instead to the Sons of the Phoenician... er, Phoenix.

• 2 weeks later...

But they are successor of the Ultramarines.

Yes. The comment is not meant to imply that Imperial Fists can use these particular rules. Rather, the rules seem to fit thematically with what Imperial Fists are supposed to be.

Yep, I figure if these weren't a "real world" chapter belonging to one of the internal GW folks, somewhere during the process they would have been designated as sons of Dorn. Fortifying the Rift is as Fistian a task as one could ask for.

But as-is, the position of "Ultima Founding obviously Dornish chapter heavily involved in War Zone Nachmund" goes instead to the Sons of the Phoenician... er, Phoenix.

I usedmy crimson fists with these rules, they feel indeed quite thematic, and way better.

It is a fun supplement that can pull of some nice tricks!

The pregame move is great for getting to the middle fast and transhuman + the fnp strat can get a squad in cover super durable. Also the obsec strat is nice, and all the ultramarine stuff is also awesome if you are used to fist stuff (I say with sadness in my heart)