Could a Warhound Titan win a 2000 point game?

Valkyrion

Every slope is slippery, until it isn't. This one ends at the subject of this post, which is Titans. Although as stated earlier, even Knights are pushing it.

On this point I go from disagreeing with you to stating you are wrong. Knights are not "pushing it" as there is nothing to push.

Titans are part of 40k. Something that is a part of the game belongs at the table, you just need the appropriately sized game. No special scenario, no "friendly game only"...just regular old 40k.

Actually, I am the one person on Earth whose opinions don't stink. If you would also like to be correct all the time, you are welcome to agree with me at any time.

However, feel free to gather some experiential evidence. Lug your Warhound around to pickup games and see how quickly people just kind of stop raising their hands when you are looking for opponents. That will be a good indicator of how many people agree that a Titan is part of good ol' plain Jane 40k.

Much like trying to have pick up games against Eldar/Tau in 6th and 7th edition, where the outcome of the match was a foregone conclusion decided by one player bringing a broken army? Just in this case it is the opposite extreme, where bringing a Warhound is an auto-lose.

Titans are part of 40k. You can not like that fact, you can rage against it...but they are, and they are here to stay.

Ones opinions on titans, knights, super heavies and their place in 40k isn't really the topic at hand.

The fact is they do exist, they do have a points value, they are legal and can be used - in fact based on this thread, most players would be happy to face a single warhound titan at 2000 points because they would likely win.

It just raises questions of balance and how GW arrive at the conclusion that something is balanced.

Could a Warhound titan kill its value over the course of a game - in theory yes, it should be able to kill 400 points a turn. In practice that's relying on having the right weapons and the right targets, but it's possible. Does that make it balanced?

However, the game isn't about killing things anymore, and the Warhound contributes nothing beyond two big guns. Whilst your opponents army has board control, stratagems, army doctrines, relics, warlord traits you have a command reroll and overwatch. So it can't be balanced.

(bad analogy alert) It'd be like in football having Cristiano Ronaldo up against Oldham Athletic. Ronaldo is worth more than the entire town of Oldham and is the more powerful unit, but it will lose a game of football against the worst team in the country. 

When there were templates Hounds were feared, now they are an absolute joke.

Anything MSU laughs at them, Anything else just needs to not charge into them and will also win.

Twin flamers were less useless when overwatch was a permanent thing, without that Hounds are hopeless.

Ones opinions on titans, knights, super heavies and their place in 40k isn't really the topic at hand.

The fact is they do exist, they do have a points value, they are legal and can be used - in fact based on this thread, most players would be happy to face a single warhound titan at 2000 points because they would likely win.

The main question for the topic was answered almost immediately, and the answer is "usually not." We could keep repeating different variations on that same answer but it is going to lead to the same end point - should the Warhound be balanced to be viable for its point cost?

My assertion is that no, it should not be. Contrary to what has been said here, most people do not show up for a game of 40k hoping to whittle down a single model. That is simply not the basis of the game, and we all know that.

The main question for the topic was answered almost immediately, and the answer is "usually not." We could keep repeating different variations on that same answer but it is going to lead to the same end point - should the Warhound be balanced to be viable for its point cost?

My assertion is that no, it should not be. Contrary to what has been said here, most people do not show up for a game of 40k hoping to whittle down a single model. That is simply not the basis of the game, and we all know that.

Fair enough. My assertion differs in that it should either have 0 points so as to be literally unplayable in a competitive setting, or it should be fairly balanced and provide a competitive fixture for an equal sized opponent.

I'd prefer the latter, you the former, and that's peachy - this would be a boring place if everyone agreed all the time. Unless they agreed with me, of course. Then it'd be awesomer. 

But even amongst its peers, the Warhound seems inferior to a Revenant, Manta, 2 Hierophants, 3 stompas and so on, so I'd like to move the question on a little and ask about how its 2000 points have been arrived at from a balance point of view, because it's clearly askew. 

The Warhound datasheet and cost are an example of why I have no faith in Games Workshop to ever make a significant effort with the rules in the Forgeworld Index.

Here we have an expensive yet beloved and storied model that is worthless on the tabletop. It has a datasheet and point cost approved by the GW design studio, so an effort should be made to balance it according to everything else in the game.

It's not about negativity, but my own experience relating to investments in Forgeworld throughout the years. Models get dropped, rules are generally woeful (yet occasionally broken), and the cost is significant. Years ago I had a very negative experience relating to my first investment in the Horus Heresy, before the end of 7th edition. Units were often forgotten for years, and the lack of balance between one set of Marines and another could make the current strongest factions on the 40k tabletop blush. It's why I'm on the fence in regard to the relaunched Horus Heresy, and I will not make a decision one way or another until all the information is readily available for me to assess.

At one time the Warhound was a feared model (around its mainstream debut in Apocalypse and up to 6th maybe). Now it's just a large, expensive model that's cool to see every now and then but is otherwise outclassed by so many more newer models. Titans proper should be feared and should be game changers. Nowadays the only people that really do shiver at the sight of a Warhound are those who don't know it's rules. Kinda sad.

I wouldn't mind seeing titans become more competitive. Let people use what they have. 

I've always preferred something like Questor Mechanicus Knights and Titan Legions just be rolled into the Ad-Mech codex. With their own faction and ally abilities. 

Then have codex Imperial Knights focus on Questor Imperialis and Freeblades.